Question of the Day - Tuesday, August 4

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greetings! A warm welcome to the first Tuesday of August :)

What do you prefer to wear when you go swimming?

A one piece, bikini, monokini, tank, swimshorts, briefs, swimdress etc

Normally I favor bikinis, but last summer I went ahead and got a monokini design since I was intrigued. I liked it and it looks cool/elegant, but sort of a pain to put on :lol: Very strappy. Right now I want to go back to a bikini and currently looking around.

How about you guys?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually in the summer I spend every morning in the water. I wear men’s swim shorts, a bathing suit top and a t shirt over that. Keeps the sun off of me and easy to change out of.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband and I have a pool in the backyard, but we only swim at night for several reasons. I have a sort of short sundress thing that I wear. I am trying to be brave enough to get a swimsuit, though.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a "tankini" that looks like a tank top and shorts, but made of swimsuit material. Sometimes I wear men's trunks instead of the short shorts that came with it.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't been swimming since my early 20s (I'm 38 now). I always used to wear a plain black one piece. Nothing adventurous or flashy. I've never been very confident in my body.

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A tankini. Even when I was a thin teenager it was SO hard to find a suit that fit me properly. Being able to buy a top and bottom separately makes SUCH a difference. I like the fuller brief style for women's suits right now too. It holds things in and covers up comfortably. I can get in a pool and play with my kids without being concerned. The beach is always a little risky no matter what you wear. :crazy:

DD prefers rash-guard tops with long sleeves. Shes sensitive to sunscreen so having her skin covered makes a big difference! They look cute on her too. I don't think I could pull one off any time soon; but I like the options out there now. She has other suits; but likes to put one of DH's athletic shirts over them for sun protection.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess all my swimsuits are bikinis, though I haven't gone swimming in a long while.

I would go for more coverage, but I don't think I'd ever go back to a one piece. Way easier to use the bathroom with separates!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I used to wear a two piece or bikini and although I don't go swimming too often I prefer a one piece now.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wear a bikini top and men's board shorts (usually with a bikini bottom underneath). I find it outrageous that the main "surf" companies (Roxy, Hurley, etc.) don't make women's board shorts in longer inseams. (Same goes for compression shorts!! Most are only 4-5 inches and that doesn't even reach the part of my hammy thighs that need compressing! haha)

Roxabelle

Human slave to Sinclair the Kitten
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Absolutely nothing! Also the reason why I'm banned from the local swimming pool.

That may or may not be true...

I have a cat bikini (obviously) so that's always my first choice. I don't have the same body that I had in my 20s (so weird, right!?) but I'm not going to let that stop me wear a bikini, or whatever I feel like wearing that day. Once you're in the water who gives a crap? The less fabric there is between your skin and the water, the nicer it feels.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I haven't been swimming for years! I think the last time I went I wore a sarong.

I'm not allowed to swim in public pools or at the more popular beaches in Japan as I have a lot of tattoos. Last time I went swimming in Japan was about ten years ago. I used to live a short drive from the beach and in the summer we'd get up at 5 am and go for an early dip. By 6 am the sand was too hot to walk on.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tankini. I don't like anything sexy. Plus, I'm so tall that the one piece bathing suits usually don't fit me right. I bought a new tankini, I like it because it covers the 9 inch scar on my stomach. It's solid navy blue. They didn't sell regular bottoms, only swim shorts, but I ended up liking them. Here's the link to the top and bottom, click on the color that just says "Navy":
Maya Swim Top | ModLi
Swim Shorts | ModLi

Last edited:

Roxabelle

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven't been swimming for years! I think the last time I went I wore a sarong.

I'm not allowed to swim in public pools or at the more popular beaches in Japan as I have a lot of tattoos. Last time I went swimming in Japan was about ten years ago. I used to live a short drive from the beach and in the summer we'd get up at 5 am and go for an early dip. By 6 am the sand was too hot to walk on.
Are there places in Japan where you can swim? I'd love to go to Japan but I have several tattoos.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Are there places in Japan where you can swim? I'd love to go to Japan but I have several tattoos.
You can swim at the less popular, out of season beaches but you can't go to public pools. Or gyms. Or most of the modern "Super Sento" public baths, but the older sentos turn a blind eye to tattoos.

There was talk of relaxing the rules a bit, for foreigners at least, during the Olympics but I think those plans were shelved.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually in the tourist/military areas they overlook small tattoos on Americans/Europeans. If you have a full sleeve or something, probably not. Or you could find where the yakuza hang out and join them ;).

Roxabelle

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Usually in the tourist/military areas they overlook small tattoos on Americans/Europeans. If you have a full sleeve or something, probably not. Or you could find where the yakuza hang out and join them ;).
My tattoos definitely aren't small! Yakuza it is :lol: