Question of the Day - Tuesday, August 25

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have not seen these items here ( from michigan )
Really? Wow! It is rumored to have started in Michigan, and one of its main makers is Hudsonville out of Holland, Michigan.
Melting the Mystery of Blue Moon Ice Cream

blue-moon-ice-cream.jpg

We have to go to the next town over to buy it, but we have Superman at out small local grocery store. Technically, they have changed the name to Superscoop in most brands. Hershey might be the only one who calls it Superman anymore, but everyone I know still calls ant kind that looks like it "Superman." It is rumored to have originated near Detroit at Stroh's during Prohabition. When Dean's bought it, they called it "Super Rainbow." Maybe you know it by one of those names. (When my kids were young, Toft's still called it Superman.) The flavors vary, except it always has Blue Moon in it. My children like the one with Lemon, Blue Moon, and Red Pop or the kind with vanilla istead of lemon. They do not like Hersey's "fake" kind. If you live near Ann Arbor, Washtenaw Dairy has it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cheese curd, a lot of people have never tried it.
Do they have them in New York? I thought they were a Wisconsin/Minnesota thing.

The local BBQ food truck had fried curds "fresh from Wisconsin!" last week so I had to try some. They squeaked! I've never had fried curds that still squeaked; I thought frying changed the texture enough that they wouldn't squeak anymore. They were so good.

One very local thing I just thought of is Twin Bing candy bars. Some people are just crazy about them. I've seen people pack a flat-rate box full to ship to family members who have moved away because they just can't live without them! Personally, I don't like them; maybe you have to grow up eating them to get it. I can't stand the cherry flavored nougat. I guess there are different flavors, maybe I should give them a chance. . .

I've seen Superman ice cream (maybe at a fair? Maybe at the Mall of America?) but never knew what it was, and nobody has ever bought some or talked about it while I was with them. I figured it was just some crazy flavor in crazy colors to appeal to the kids.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in Naperville, we have a rubber duck race on the DuPage river. Hundreds of rubber ducks floating downstream. I don't think they had it this year, though. It usually makes the papers. The river goes through the town, so lots of people turn out for it.

In Chicago, there is also the Chicago-style hot dog with relish, cucumbers, celery salt, and a few other things. I don't think people think it's strange - actually, it's pretty good. Portillo's has them.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
t the race club they call me Captain..(short for captain stink finger) because I am rushing around and hyperactive all the time they say I have my finger pulled out all the
Ha!!!!! :lol2: :lol:

I was going to an appt. at the Cleveland Clinic Pain Management Clinic. My ex-helper was driving me
and went back in my house to get my pillow and said look under the gray sweater. There was a handgun!
a big one. When she got back I asked; "Did you get your permit to carry a concealed weapon?" She said
yes, the CC is not a safe area and felt we were safer with it. She grew up learning how to hunt at a young age,
learning how to remove the meat from deer, etc...not my thing but it wasn't surprising to me that she had
taken the classes and trained to obtain the PTCACW. I have to admit I felt safer but this would sound shocking
to many people from other countries. (The testing in Ohio is very rigid.)

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The local BBQ food truck had fried curds "fresh from Wisconsin!" last week so I had to try some. They squeaked! I've never had fried curds that still squeaked; I thought frying changed the texture enough that they wouldn't squeak anymore. They were so good.

One very local thing I just thought of is Twin Bing candy bars. Some people are just crazy about them. I've seen people pack a flat-rate box full to ship to family members who have moved away because they just can't live without them! Personally, I don't like them; maybe you have to grow up eating them to get it. I can't stand the cherry flavored nougat. I guess there are different flavors, maybe I should give them a chance. . .

I've seen Superman ice cream (maybe at a fair? Maybe at the Mall of America?) but never knew what it was, and nobody has ever bought some or talked about it while I was with them. I figured it was just some crazy flavor in crazy colors to appeal to the kids.
In WNY, we have several Amish communities, and as their farms don't have electricity, they can't sell their milk, except for making cheese. Cuba, NY, is one such place, and they sell, among other products, cheese curds and have done so for as far back as I can remember. There is also Kutter's, as well as others whose names escape me at the moment.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, in Upstate NY. I live right by the border to Canada, which is where I think cheese curd originated? It comes in many different flavors. I never tried it fried. Poutine is very popular here at all the restaurants. That has cheese curd on top usually.

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thought of another one. Whoopie pies. I think they're a Manie thing, which makes me sad; everyone should have one. I remember when I was little, my mom said she never had one until she moved to Maine (she's from Michigan). I was horrified! :lol: Here's a picture; they are so delicious!
1598446980670.png

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
You know, I make a stuffed ham, but not like what you're talking about. We take both ends of the ham off in a plug shape. Rick cuts a hole through the ham. I make a cornbread stuffing and stuff the ham with that. Then we plug the ends back up. Bake and serve with a raisin sauce. It's really good! The first time I made it, my Dad thought it was the neatest thing. And that was our Easter dinner with Mom and Dad for several years until Dad passed away. He just loved it.

I would be interested in klunick klunick 's way of preparing stuffed ham. It sounds good.

Many parts of the world wouldn’t understand why anyone would spend entire sub zero days in a small shack on the frozen lake while they fish through a hole in the ice.
My buddy is a Pentecostal preacher in Bemidji, MN. They do that every winter. The lake up there is full of fishing shacks.

In a neighboring town, they have a Harvest Festival. We never went, but they did all kinds of things with tomatoes. They crowned a tomato princess. A Tomato Bowl; I have no idea what that is. It was just a way to get people in town. It's been cancelled this year due to the virus.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, I make a stuffed ham, but not like what you're talking about. We take both ends of the ham off in a plug shape. Rick cuts a hole through the ham. I make a cornbread stuffing and stuff the ham with that. Then we plug the ends back up. Bake and serve with a raisin sauce. It's really good! The first time I made it, my Dad thought it was the neatest thing. And that was our Easter dinner with Mom and Dad for several years until Dad passed away. He just loved it.

I would be interested in klunick klunick 's way of preparing stuffed ham. It sounds good.

My buddy is a Pentecostal preacher in Bemidji, MN. They do that every winter. The lake up there is full of fishing shacks.

In a neighboring town, they have a Harvest Festival. We never went, but they did all kinds of things with tomatoes. They crowned a tomato princess. A Tomato Bowl; I have no idea what that is. It was just a way to get people in town. It's been cancelled this year due to the virus.
I have no clue as I have never prepared nor eaten one. Google Southern Maryland stuffed ham and something will probably pop up with a recipe.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Winchester Winchester , lakes everywhere in Minnesota are covered in ice houses from freeze up to March. Most ice houses have heaters, lights and some even have bunks for overnighters. It’s pretty much about hanging with buddies with quite a bit of beer thrown in

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Winchester Winchester , lakes everywhere in Minnesota are covered in ice houses from freeze up to March. Most ice houses have heaters, lights and some even have bunks for overnighters. It’s pretty much about hanging with buddies with quite a bit of beer thrown in
They do the same here. On Lake Erie, Buffalo's Small Boat Harbor and Black Rock Channel- which bypasses the rapids at the mouth of the Niagara River- all have their share of shacks on the ice in the winter.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
, in Upstate NY. I live right by the border to Canada, which is where I think cheese curd originated? It comes in many different flavors. I never tried it fried. Poutine is very popular here at all the restaurants. That has cheese curd on top usually.
Thought of another one. Whoopie pies. I think they're a Manie thing, which makes me sad; everyone should have one. I remember when I was little, my mom said she never had one until she moved to Maine (she's from Michigan). I was horrified! :lol: Here's a picture; they are so delicious!
View attachment 348543

I would be interested in klunick klunick klunick klunick 's way of preparing stuffed ham. It sounds good.
You guys are making me hungry!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never tried it fried.
Lol, that probably goes back to my first point, about everything being fried here ;). The ones you get at restaurants have a heavy breading, like jalapeno poppers, but the ones from food trucks and at fairs have a very light coating and they're delicious!
Poutine is very popular here at all the restaurants. That has cheese curd on top usually.
I forgot about poutine! I found a restaurant in Minnesota that serves it, and it's terrific! It's probably a good thing none of the restaurants here serve it. . .
:anticipation:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
View attachment 348543
I think whoopie pies might be a German/Dutch thing. They are huge in PA as well as Maine, primarily among the PA Dutch, the Amish and Mennonites. There's a woman at the famers' market who makes a small fortune every week just in her whoopie pies. I make them, too. We have chocolate with peanut butter filling and I love the pumpkin whoopies with a marshmallow filling. Goodness, but they're good! Rick says he can sense autumn right around the corner when there are pumpkin whoopie pies in the oven.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are they just cookies with a cream filling of some sort? Seems like every bakery has those. I'll have to pay attention the next time and see if they call them Whoopie Pies around here.

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are they just cookies with a cream filling of some sort? Seems like every bakery has those. I'll have to pay attention the next time and see if they call them Whoopie Pies around here.
They are two pieces of a sort of cake with marshmallow filling. But, there are a lot more flavors than that.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought it was probably marshmallow filling, but when I googled it everything said "cream/creme filling". I supposed it is marshmallow creme, lol. I don't like marshmallow creme so I wouldn't be tempted but I'm pretty sure I've seen them around, I just don't know what they're called locally.

Do teens in small towns in other states "cruise Main"? I don't think kids do it anymore, but up until maybe 10 years ago, it was the height of entertainment to drive your car up and down Main St for hours at a time, with all your friends hanging out the windows hollering at people. I never understood why that might be considered "fun" but then I didn't grow up here. They sure seemed to enjoy it anyway.

ETA: I found this, so they did it in Kansas at least. But that's in the same general area.
Hey Small-Town Kansas, What Ever Happened To Cruising?