Question of the Day - Tuesday, August 25

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Something that even most Minnesotans don’t understand, a Scandinavian delicacy - Lutefisk. It is a dried fish that has to be soaked in LYE for days before it is boiled and served.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Korean oddities...well...an innocent one would maybe be how everyone goes "camping" where in they pitch tents and set up elaborate picnics, but this only happens during the day. Hardly anyone camps overnight in the woods like the West thinks of camping.

Another might be that it's common to go to the beach and see everyone covered head-to-toe in sun protective clothing. Unlike the West where less is more, here people prefer to be covered as much as possible!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I used to live in Panhandle Florida back in the ‘70s, and it took me awhile to appreciate fried okra and collard greens. If done correctly, they really are good! :) I never acquired a taste for alligator, though. Yeah, yeah, tastes like chicken. :barf:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do teens in small towns in other states "cruise Main"?
There's no main street out here in the boonies. Just county routes with numbers. That fried cheese curd sounds amazing. I love anything fried.

I think a lot of non-Australians would say 'Vegemite'!
I want to try that! But the reviews scare me. :oops:

Hardly anyone camps overnight in the woods
That's a brilliant idea! Then I wouldn't have to worry about wild animals getting me in the night. But when I went camping, it was usually to save money, cheaper than a motel!

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many parts of the world wouldn’t understand why anyone would spend entire sub zero days in a small shack on the frozen lake while they fish through a hole in the ice.
Or drive on a lake.

Minnesota things other people probably don't get: It is Duck, Duck, Grey Duck, any other version of that game is a lie, our version is also a lot more fun. Driving during blizzards or giant snowstorms. "Up North" is synonymous with weekend summer vacations. "Ope" and "I'm just going to squeeze right by you" are frequently said.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Ope" and "I'm just going to squeeze right by you" are frequently said.
I have only recently realized how much we all say "ope" around here :paperbag:. It's those darn "You Betcha" videos and Charlie Berens that everybody shares on Facebook that made me notice it. Now I hear it all the time. Also the "waving" with 2 fingers on the steering wheel when you drive past anybody on a back road (too many cars on the highway). And it took me forever to realize that "oh, I don't know about that" means "I disagree with you in the strongest possible terms, plus you're an idiot" and "well that's different" means "ugh, cut that out, weirdo".

People do ice fish around here but not as much as they do up North a bit. I think our weather isn't consistent enough; this corner of the state gets warm breezes every now and then in the winter that make the lakes a little unpredictable.
I want to try that! But the reviews scare me.
It's not bad, if you like salty and umami foods. I don't mind it, although I don't go out of my way to buy it. I wouldn't die in Australia anyway :lol:. Definitely an acquired taste. Worth a try. Google "where to buy vegemite near me" and see if any stores in your area have it.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love this thread.

I'm Canadian, but we haven't had bagged milk in my area for about 30 years. Personally, I've never seen bagged milk in my life! What my area does have, though, is our own style of pizza: thick crust, almost a deep-dish type pizza, toppings piled almost up to an inch thick (and the meat is basically deli meat), with cheese on top of the toppings. It's usually cut into squares instead of triangles, too.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are a lot of things about Britain that people find strange, lol. Here are some from England:

- driving on the left side of the road
- Boxing Day celebrations
- rubber duck races in the local villages
- some of our food: toad in the hole (no, not literally), Yorkshire pudding, beans on toast etc often confuses tourists
- the way we say sorry all the time and our general "stiff upper lip" (I find some Americans pretty overwhelming as a Brit lol)
- the fact we put milk in our tea
- dancing round the maypole is still a common thing in many villages and small towns
- Cheese rolling in the Cotswolds
- Nettle eating contests
- Bonfire Night
- Summer Solstice at Stonehenge
- the fact that curry is our national dish
- afternoon tea and pub culture
- Highland Games in Scotland/kilts and tartans
- Morris Dancing
- our love for queueing
- The Queen's Speech being the main thing everyone watches together on Christmas
- our sense of humour (especially sarcasm)
- New Year's Day swims on the beach (considering our sea temperature is freezing at the best of times, especially in winter)

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are a lot of things about Britain that people find strange, lol. Here are some from England:

- driving on the left side of the road
- Boxing Day celebrations
- rubber duck races in the local villages
- some of our food: toad in the hole (no, not literally), Yorkshire pudding, beans on toast etc often confuses tourists
- the way we say sorry all the time and our general "stiff upper lip" (I find some Americans pretty overwhelming as a Brit lol)
- the fact we put milk in our tea
- dancing round the maypole is still a common thing in many villages and small towns
- Cheese rolling in the Cotswolds
- Nettle eating contests
- Bonfire Night
- Summer Solstice at Stonehenge
- the fact that curry is our national dish
- afternoon tea and pub culture
- Highland Games in Scotland/kilts and tartans
- Morris Dancing
- our love for queueing
- The Queen's Speech being the main thing everyone watches together on Christmas
- our sense of humour (especially sarcasm)
- New Year's Day swims on the beach (considering our sea temperature is freezing at the best of times, especially in winter)
In the northern parts of the U.S., we have 'polar bear' swims in the dead of winter. In some places, they have to saw a large hole in the ice, while here in western NY, they simply take heavy equipment to allow the swimmers access to the water through the shore ice if there is too much of an accumulation. Yeah, us Yankees are kinda nuts, too.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found out today that how I make scrambled eggs is weird. I mix in cheddar cheese when cooking it. I find it makes it more fluffier than cooking it without.