Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Kobe beef
That French dish that is basically 25% potatoes and 75% cheese...lol
Alligator
Rattlesnake
Swordfish
I've eaten alligator, rattlesnake (very bony), ostrich, bison, conch (rubbery), cactus, octopus, squid, eel, swordfish, shark, rabbit, squirrel, quail, goat, jackfruit, habanero peppers, oysters (yummy fixed all ways, especially raw), and ugly fruit.

I'd like to try kobe beef (at about $60 an ounce it's not likely) and durian, but after the bad smell has been removed.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've eaten alligator, rattlesnake (very bony), ostrich, bison, conch (rubbery), cactus, octopus, squid, eel, swordfish, shark, rabbit, squirrel, quail, goat, jackfruit, habanero peppers, oysters (yummy fixed all ways, especially raw), and ugly fruit.

I'd like to try kobe beef (at about $60 an ounce it's not likely) and durian, but after the bad smell has been removed.
I'll never be able to handle that price tag.
I know a place you can order kobe ground beef for $8/lb., but who knows if it's the whole deal or not.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've tried bison (tastes like low-fat beef), alligator (like fishy chicken), ostrich burger (like a turkey burger). I had durian candy, which tasted OK once you got past the smell but the aftertaste was terrible. Like gasoline, actually (don't ask how I know about gasoline aftertaste, lol). I've had dragonfruit, which looks cool but doesn't taste like much of anything (may have been a bad one; I'm sure travelling to South Dakota isn't good for tropical fruits). I've had caviar (salty) and oysters (fine in chowder, gross raw) and clams shucked fresh on the beach (eww, like slurping snot). Ugli fruit tastes like grapefruit mixed with a sour orange, not my favorite.

I just tried poutine a couple weeks ago, while visiting Minnesota, and it was terrific. But if anyone in the area sold that, I'd weigh 400 pounds! I suppose you get tired of it eventually. Maybe.
I know a place you can order kobe ground beef for $8/lb., but who knows if it's the whole deal or not.
Well, that just defeats the whole purpose of Kobe beef, which is mainly known for its texture. No wonder it's cheap! :D
That French dish that is basically 25% potatoes and 75% cheese...lol
Pommes Aligot? (That's what I got when I googled "french dish with cheese and potatoes".) It looks great. I've made instant mashed potatoes with too much cheese before, and that's what it looks like, but of course I'm sure the authentic version is even better.
There's this large, oblong fruit in the grocery store that I wonder about. It's green, has knobby skin, and is huge -
Could be an Osage orange, which is inedible but keeps spiders away (supposedly. I put one in my basement and spiders spun webs over it). Or a ugli fruit or various other things.

Last edited:

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
W Willowy - Yes, aligot! Every time I see a video of it, I get so hungry! It just looks like a dream.

DreamerRose DreamerRose I am also thinking it is a jackfruit. I think it can be eaten raw and is sweet. When prepared correctly, the stuff has the same consistency as meat. My husband's coworker is vegan and made him some jackfruit "bbq." Even my carnivore husband was impressed and admitted that it tasted as good as regular bbq.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, aligot! Every time I see a video of it, I get so hungry! It just looks like a dream.
Next time you make mashed potatoes, put way too much cheese in. Not the real thing, but it's still really yummy!

My vegetarian friend makes jackfruit BBQ. I haven't tasted it yet (she lives in Omaha now so I don't see her as often) but she says it tastes just like meat BBQ. Of course she has access to better grocery stores; I've never seen a fresh jackfruit around here. She says she uses canned jackfruit too but I've never seen that either. I could probably order it from Amazon if I were sufficiently motivated.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had Kobe beef while vacationing in Key West and it was amazing.
I savored every bite. That had been on my list. As was Beluga caviar and that was also amazing. There is a Scandinavian fish I'd like to try but you must be very careful when preparing it, as like Puffer fish,there are parts of it that are poisonous. I cannot remember the name. I'm glad I had the beef and caviar
because I would never be able to afford them now.

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would like to try beef Wellington from a Gordon Ramsay restaurant.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if you guys know about "BALUT" - it is a Filipino delicacy, a boiled fertilized duck egg, but has many health benefits. I have not eaten it but I wish I could. In our country it is often sold at night, and when you eat it just close your eyes or ignore what you will see inside. But they say it really is GOOD!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had Filipina friends when I was a kid, and none of them liked balut, lol. But kids are picky so who knows. One adventurous food blogger said that the beak and bones crunch when you bite into them, which is just too much for me. And I'm suspicious about the health claims; why would it be any different than eating a duck egg or an adult duck?

In China they eat eggs boiled in urine. Supposedly it gives the egg a nice flavor. I think I'll take their word for it. I'm not that adventurous!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had Filipina friends when I was a kid, and none of them liked balut, lol. But kids are picky so who knows. One adventurous food blogger said that the beak and bones crunch when you bite into them, which is just too much for me. And I'm suspicious about the health claims; why would it be any different than eating a duck egg or an adult duck?

In China they eat eggs boiled in urine. Supposedly it gives the egg a nice flavor. I think I'll take their word for it. I'm not that adventurous!
I watch Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern and he tried it. I think the flavor/texture depends of how developed it is when they cook it. He said that it gives it a nice poultry flavor. I think that the bones and cartilage hadn't had a chance to get too developed when he ate it. It must depend on the vendor. Personally, I wouldn't eat it because I hate hard cooked eggs.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I looked it up and it said they use eggs that are 14-21 days along. So the 14-day eggs would be barely developed, but the 21-day eggs are almost full ducklings (they hatch around 28 days). I don't think I could ever get brave enough to try it. I don't even like the red spot that fertilized eggs have. . .

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to try caviar. I probably won't be able to afford to lol, but I want to know why rich people always rave about it. Guess that's not my world so I don't understand!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to try caviar. I probably won't be able to afford to lol, but I want to know why rich people always rave about it. Guess that's not my world so I don't understand!
It's very salty, like olives. Nothing to rave about. Rich people like to show off their expensive tastes, and some kinds of caviar are more expensive than others.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There's this large, oblong fruit in the grocery store that I wonder about. It's green, has knobby skin, and is huge - the size of those personal watermelons. I don't know how it's eaten, but I'd like to know what it tastes like.

I've always been curious about snails, but just can't get past the idea of eating them. Oysters taste like seawater. Swordfish is delicious, something like tuna, but it's almost endangered now and high in mercury. Lobster is similar to shrimp.

Think I'll pass on the durian too.
Escargot is really phenomenal. If you like shellfish you will love it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
bison. there's actually a local ranch that has a herd of bison.
They're just big hairy cows, who can't handle being grain-fattened so their meat is lower-fat. Nothing special really.

Some people here raise beefaloes---bison/domestic cow hybrids. I guess they're tougher and smarter than cows (who will often starve rather than dig through the snow to find grass), but not as aggressive or as food-sensitive as bison. As far as I know, their meat just goes into the regular beef supply. So you might have had beefalo meat without knowing it! :D