Question Of The Day - Tuesday, August 13

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Everyone! Greetings on this lovely Tuesday!

What food have you never eaten but would really like to try?

For me, it would have to be Hákarl (Fermented Shark) which might sound a bit crazy :lol: but considering it's infamous reputation of tasting awful to non-Icelandic people, I can't help but be totally curious and adventurous about it. I'm all like "YEEAAAHH Let's do this!"

(Whether it follows with a pleasant surprise or horrifying regret prior to my death would remain to be seen of course)

I guess it is the existing Scandinavian blood in me to be intrigued by it.

How about you guys?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kobe beef
Texas BBQ (not some other place's version of it)
French baguette (in Paris)

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Haha, that cat eating the pizza is hilarious!!! Dunno about food I haven't tried... what I've only had ONCE and would like to try AGAIN is some smoked albacore with Brie cheese on a piece of good bread with a little mayo on it, anything which tastes THAT good HAS to be HEALTH FOOD, LOL. :bliss:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to try Kobe beef too. The real stuff. I've heard the texture is "velvety" and "melts in your mouth" so I'm intrigued. Not sure I'd want to spend the money though. Maybe a couple bites wouldn't be too expensive.

I'd maybe like to look at kiviak, just for the curiosity factor, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to taste it!
Ribs - I've never had ribs but they look good. BBQ ribs.
Maybe I've never had good ribs, but I find them overrated. Too little meat, it's stringy so it gets stuck in your teeth, and accidentally biting the bone makes me cringe. The only good thing is the sauce, which can be on anything. If you want good barbecue, a brisket or pulled pork sandwich is way better, IMO.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't really think of anything I absolutely want to try. I have a very simple palette. I will say that when I see commercials with restaurants advertising lobster being dunked in garlic butter I think to myself "Ooooh, that looks good!" but I don't like seafood (anything with a stronger fishy taste).
I know I'm just "attracted" to the butter,:yummy: so why on earth would I want to pay good money for something expensive that I know I won't like just so I can dunk it in melted butter.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have always wanted to try Paella, it looks so good. Unfortunately I am allergic to all fish and shellfish so its not going to happen.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Durian fruit, oysters and caviar. I've seen the fermented shark stuff on the telly and it looks rank. I suppose that's the idea though.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Kobe beef
That French dish that is basically 25% potatoes and 75% cheese...lol
Alligator
Rattlesnake
Swordfish

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Durian fruit
My husband's coworker went to...Indonesia?... and brought back some chocolate with durian fruit in it. Over there, it's considered just the absolute best stuff in the world. He handed it to me in a Tupperware container, told me what it was because I will eat just about anything, and said "if you want to eat it, you have to eat it outside." Opened the container, it was strong, but whatever. I took a bite, and let me tell you, it was maybe one of three times my body has physically reacted to a food. I spat it out, couldn't finish it- I tried to power through, but it was not happening. It literally tasted like s*it (or, how I imagine it tastes...lol). 0/10, would not recommend durian in any form...

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
What were the other two times?
I drank some expired milk one time that I hadn't realized had turned. I religiously sniff my milk now, even if it was just opened.

Another time, when I was in Girl Scouts, a bunch of us decide to make the grossest milkshake ever. We were maybe 10, 11ish. We had an ice cream base and added all sorts of random items and spices to it. I distinctly remember black pepper and paprika. Well, once it was made, someone had to drink it. It was me and one other girl. I at least swallowed mine, the other girl projectile vomited. :barfgreen: :barf: We all got in trouble for that one!

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, I knew it smelled like that but always believed it tasted ok. I might give that a miss then.
Actually it smells like a corpse- an unfresh one. Yeah despite that I'm still curious about it. I've had the option to try it a few times but chicken out each time.

Now as for foods I would like to try: chicken feet. I was raised on pork feet so I bet chicken feet are pretty good.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's this large, oblong fruit in the grocery store that I wonder about. It's green, has knobby skin, and is huge - the size of those personal watermelons. I don't know how it's eaten, but I'd like to know what it tastes like.

I've always been curious about snails, but just can't get past the idea of eating them. Oysters taste like seawater. Swordfish is delicious, something like tuna, but it's almost endangered now and high in mercury. Lobster is similar to shrimp.

Think I'll pass on the durian too.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's this large, oblong fruit in the grocery store that I wonder about. It's green, has knobby skin, and is huge - the size of those personal watermelons. I don't know how it's eaten, but I'd like to know what it tastes like.

I've always been curious about snails, but just can't get past the idea of eating them. Oysters taste like seawater. Swordfish is delicious, something like tuna, but it's almost endangered now and high in mercury. Lobster is similar to shrimp.

Think I'll pass on the durian too.
Is it a jackfruit?

Never tried it myself, but I know of a guy who calls them "dinosaur eggs".

We went to pick up some straw about 10 years ago and the guy we bought it off was making jerky in his shop. He sent us home with a few pounds for free. It was thickly cut goose jerky, and it sounds terrible but that was the best jerky I've ever had. It was barely tough.
Of course, they moved that year and we never got the stupid recipe :sigh: