Question of the Day - Tuesday, April 7

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greetings! Happy first Tuesday of April!

Which protagonist from a book or film would make the worst roommate?

Sherlock Holmes - A mix of being a self neat freak and a hoarder, cocaine addict and doesn't care for women (Only polite to them in order to get what he wants)

Definitely a hard no for me :lol: Despite his otherwise impressive talents.

----

In the meantime since we are in a roommate theme, if you felt like it please enjoy this short clip from the anime "My Roommate is a Cat" Since we all know kitties make the best roommates! :tongue: Cheers.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Although I am always reading, I find it difficult to look back at all the books that have made an impression on me and come up with an intelligent and truthful answer. So, I'll confine my thoughts to the book I've just finished, "A Dangerous Fortune" by Ken Follett.

I would hate to have to share a room with Augusta Pilaster, an intelligent, beautiful but scheming woman who manipulates everybody to get on in the world. She would intimidate me, so I would have nothing to say to her. To make matters worse she is always changing the decor in her room to keep up with the latest fashion. I couldn’t put up with that for long. Being a Methodist, she doesn't drink so sharing a bottle of wine with her would be out of the question! Although, the subject never came up, I am sure she would throw a fit, if a cat ever walked into the room.

A dreadful woman!

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably Miss Havisham from the Dickens story Great Expectations, because she reminds me of my mother and there couldn't possibly be a worse roommate than my mother on the entire planet.
Can't relate to the mother bit, but I agree that Miss Havisham would be a pretty miserable person to roomshare with - imagine being in lockdown with her!

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Holden Caulfield from The Catcher in the Rye is the first who comes to mind. He is a teenager and teenagers are often insufferable and whiny, but I cannot imagine having him as a younger sibling or roommate. He would be evicted ASAP. :lol:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Korede from My Sister, the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite. Korede is the sister of the serial killer who lets her sister just walk all over her. It annoyed me how she didn't have a backbone at all. I think if I had her as a roommate, I'd be so frustrated, and also the fact that her sister is a serial killer would be bad too. :lol:

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Honestly I think it would be harder to find a protagonist I WOULD want as a roommate. The issue with protagonists is that uncontrollable stuff happens to them, hence a story being written about them. I'd rather not deal with whatever ish they've got going on. haha Especially if their story is written in first-person-- because who is that self-important to narrate everything about their life?

For transparency purposes:
(I'm currently writing a novel in first-person and even though I love my protagonist, girl, I don't want to be living in a house with her, she's got protection charms on her windows to keep out monsters and her rock n' roll boyfriend is always over. NO THANKS)

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Sauron Lord of the Rings. Doesn't bear thinking about!

If it was who would I like to share with, Tyrion Lannister would be a hoot. :)