Question of the Day - Tuesday, April 13

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello hello! Happy Tuesday! :cutecat:

What do you think is the creepiest/scariest sound in the world?

So first ones that come to mind for me are screams in general, whether human or animal. Other ones include unknown or unexplained loud sounds from a vast space (Like in a forest, from the deepest parts of the ocean or in the middle of a city), audio recordings left behind by serial killers and/or missing people and nuclear/tornado sirens.

Additionally, man-made recordings from past wars:

A mix of music box sounds and the synthesized little girls voice. Once it gets to 2:47 it particularly gets extra unsettling. It's coded messages sent to spies during The Cold War via numbers station. Imagine just going about your business at home, listening to the radio then suddenly an odd static melody, beeping sounds or a strange woman's voice interrupts your broadcast. Or you hear the message and your livelihood depended on decoding it without anyone knowing, figuring out where to go or what to do. Or even if you were the "enemy" listening to this late at night, not knowing what it was and possibly feeling unnerved or uncertain. In a world and time where communication was limited as is. Apparently transmissions like these are still happening today :dunno: If not spooky, then at least interesting!

There are other examples of psychological warfare recordings created, like the ones used in Vietnam where the voice of a "dead" soldier was broadcasted.

There is more but I won't bombard everyone :tongue: So how about you guys?

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scary may not be the best word to describe it but it will do. An animal that's been suddenly injured emits a very disturbing sound especially if the onus is on onesself to attempt a remedy with no re-assuring professionals around to take charge. I'm talking dogs and cats mainly.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I will give you that recording is very creepy. As I played it, the two cats who hang out in the office with me and listen to cello music got up and left and one seemed very agitated.

Worst sound I ever heard was when I was a little girl in a department store with my mother. In those days people could bring pets in with them and often did. Some woman had a small dog that she set on the escalator steps and it did not raise its feet at the end and the feet were pulled in.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The cry an animal makes at death. My soul kitty died suddenly from heart failure. She used to sprint across the house from the garage into my bedroom and her hiding spots. She came running in and collapsed mid jump and let out a cry I will absolutely never forget. I felt it at my core.

A friend told me about losing her cat and mentioned the sound too.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
The tornado siren and the sounds from the film, The Blair Witch Project, "Mike!! Mike!!!, Heather screamin,g
and Josh screaming and the breaking sounds of someone walking on tree limbs

Kathrines_Cat^_^

Cat! :-D
Young Cat
Purraise
Fire alarms or alarms in general.
They scare me extremely so bad!
I used to have an alarm clock that made my heart rate increase to like 150BPM every single time it went off.
I remember I smashed it with a hammer once I got one that didn't give me a heart attack every single time it goes off in the morning.
But the worst ones are the sudden state of emergency alarms that go off on the TV. (That gave me tears just by thinking about it :-/)

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't compare being scared - scared is scared! Two days ago I was up early - expecting a food delivery - very nervous because Mogi wasn't eating and I was waiting for the vet to open to make an appointment. Suddenly, there was a dreadful rythmic, high-pitched, metallic screeching sound - the 4 cats fled in the direction of the bedroom. Was it an alarm clock gone horribly wrong? A large bird? Something outside?.........

The whole house was awake, asking me "What the hell is that?" Oh no, heaven help me, it was one of the cats! Katy was coughing, or choking, in a very high-pitched voice, frightening everybody, herself included and searching for somewhere to hide. Fortunately, the noise stopped as suddenly as it had started. Katy was now in feral-mode, letting nobody anywhere near her.

Panic over - Katy was still breathing albeit under the bed. It took a while for everybody's blood pressure to return to normal. Katy reappeared some time later, as if nothing had happened. But, I think she managed to spook the Internet - no stable connections till today - but I'm now back to annoy you all! I hope it's not something Katy's going to make a habit of doing.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the annoyingly pitiful crying and begging sound of a convicted rapist or child molester getting done the same way that got him there before getting murdered in a prison or jail cell. personally i rather just slit the piece of trash's throat and be done with it. there's no reason to lower yourself to the same level as those people

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't laugh Maria Bayote Maria Bayote The Blair Witch will get 'cha!!! hee, hee

View attachment 376633gh
In real life it would give me a heart attack just be in that situation. That is why I do not really watch those kinds of movies or shows, because even if I close my eyes while watching the sounds are imbedded in my memory, hindering me from sleep. And when I do sleep, they give me nightmares. One time I watched “IT”, and that creepy clown and his laugh gave me countless sleepless nights.