Question of the Day: Tues. Dec.14, 2010

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, talk about a little snow around these parts....nearby has declared a state of emergency so we can get help from the military and government. Fun stuff

Todays question: In your area, have they ever declared a state of emergency? What for? (excessive snow/heat/natural disaster)

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not that I am aware of. We don't seem to get much snow here. I am not that far from London area and there is barely any snow here.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of Saskatchewan was declared a disaster area this past summer. Almost every area received more than the annual total rainfall in a couple of months, some places over 40" of rain. We got 27" and are listed as semi-desert.

Right now waiting for another storm, second in three days and this is gonna be fugly - freezing rain, later on copious amounts of snow and screaming winds to accompany the mess. I havent even dug out from the mess Sunday and most of yesterday.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live only about 15 minutes from London (Ontario) and we don't have anywhere near the amount of snow in London. Strange how that works.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There have been multiple times that the Memphis area has been declared a state of emergency (heat, rain, winter weather, tornadoes...things like that). Back in January, it was because of the cold weather/etc...and most recently, it was due to severe flooding in the Atoka area (right outside of Memphis).

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Last year the state of NJ declared a state of emergency due to the pervasive flooding after many areas received 7" - 14" of rain in 48 hours. Every creek and river around here flooded, and getting around was quite difficult. A lot of houses were under water, and in the town where one of Gary's doctors is located, businesses, schools and parking lots were under water well into the 1st floor, and soooooooo many cars were abandoned.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few years ago we had a flood. A turbine at the dam down river was taken out by a landslide. I was very thankful we live on a hill.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few years ago... 2002? we had so much ice all over the state that a large portion of the state was without power. The town I lived in was without it for over a week, and then once they got it on it was still off for several hours at a time because there was so much damage from the ice that they had to fix. They needed federal aid to pay for it so it was actually only labeled a natural disaster.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
In 1997 and 2000 our town was declared a disaster area for flooding---and I live in a desert! I'm not sure how much it helped to have it made official (we already knew it was a disaster). My house got flooded both times and I received minimal federal assistance for repairs. I now live on a hill and no longer cringe every time it starts to rain.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I think it was in the winter of 1994 or 1996 that we had temperatures in the minus-20s and those were daytimes highs! I worked in a paper plant at that time and management didn't want to shut down. But the power company basically said either they shut down on their own or the power company would simply shut them down. It was simply frigid at that time. Everything had to shut down to try to conserve.

We've had states of emergency for snow, for drought, and for flooding. Basically so that they can get federal aid for the droughts and for flooding. Back in 1972, we got hit with Hurricane Agnes....a very ugly situation. We were flooded out that time and we've since moved to a very high hill.

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember the blizzard of '78. I was volunteering at a local hospital. Some folks from Civil Defense came to my house and picked me up so I could get there. It was terrible--NO ONE was allowed outside unless it was an emergency. I ended up stranded at the hospital for a couple weeks.

snp81

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The last state of emergency I can remember down here was after Hurricane Andrew. I don't think that it had been declared for any of the other, smaller hurricanes that have hit us since then.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents tell me about the blizzard of 78, state of emergency then. I hear it was an interesting storm. I bet it was worth seeing!

I think state of emergency was declared right before Christmas 08, because of a major ice storm, no one had power, and it was so dark and dreary here, and so cold! I've never been so cold in my life. It started getting dark outside by 2:30pm and once that happened the house just got darker and darker. You couldn't even see in front of you. Even
Lynxx
who can see in the dark, stayed close to us, and was wondering why we wouldn't turn the lights or heat on.

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The last one I remember was in 2009 because of an ice storm.

I was lucky and did not loose power. But other parts of the city and some rural areas were out for over a week.

We had people in the office that came to work because we had power and they didn't.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No. Lots of snow is normal in Montana but they never shut anything down for it.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont recall a state of emergency ever being called here while I've lived here (since Aug 2005), but I'm sure they called one when Hurricane Hugo came through in 1989.

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CheshireCat

The last one I remember was in 2009 because of an ice storm.

I was lucky and did not loose power. But other parts of the city and some rural areas were out for over a week.

We had people in the office that came to work because we had power and they didn't.
I remember that! It wasn't as bad in Concord, where I live, as it was in Manchester. I had a wicked hard time getting to work that morning. I remember having to drive under a tree that was folded over the roadway from all the ice.

NH also had a state of emergency in February of this year, for a wind storm. I forget what the wind gusts were up to, but there were trees down all over the place and lots of power outages. They said it was second to the ice storm. I had a worse time getting to work, having to turn around numerous times and go a different route. Plus, having to drive in the dark and not knowing if there was a tree down in front of you; it was scary. But I was another lucky one and didn't lose power for either the ice or the wind storm.