Question of the Day: Tues. Aug. 3

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mornin folks.

My mind is pretty blank these days but here goes:

Jobs: what do you do? What did you dream of doing? Do you think you will change jobs?

Or are you one of many who are without a job currently? If so, what jobs have you done in the past, what was your dream job, etc?

Have a good day.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am an Asset Coordinator for Xerox Canada.
I've been with the company for 5 years and in my current position since the end of April. I enjoy my job very much, because it allows me to work independantly and is incredibly flexible. I have great benefits and can work from home if I need to. My manager is great, my coworkers are great... I'm a lucky girl.

My DREAM job would be to run a no kill shelter for cats or to work with cats in some aspect, which is why I foster.
It is my therapy.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I work in a bar, i love it and dont want to change my job everyone around me wants me to change jobs but i dont want to i just want more hours at the pub

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work retail. I did not dream of working retail. I wanted to be a photographer but it was too expensive to go to school for.

I am leaving my current job at the end of this month because we are moving. I will probably work another retail job to save money and I am hoping to go back to school soon for medical office assistant.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a retired lady of leisure
I was a data entry operator for most of my life, sometimes boring, sometimes interesting.

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm a CAD drafter/designer for a utilities engineering consultant. We design the routes and structures by which electrical lines are carried forth.

When I was young and worked in an automotive engineering firm, I was sure I'd end up in a racing situation someday, doing aero work for McLaren or Peugeot. But then I woke up one day and I was 40.

I make good money and have a lot of perks, but I'm so bored and sick of doing the same thing, I could puke coat hangers. However, unless I'm further inspired by something, it's here I'll likely stay.

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't currently have a job

But I do work one day a week at a boarding kennels and cattery, which I absolutely LOVE
and hopefully that is what kind of job I'd like to do when I leave college next year

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I did a few years in retail before I did 30 years in IT. I was laid off late last year and vowed to retire from IT, as it has become a horrible, thankless profession due to the long hours and constant threat of offshoring. There was a time when my job was incredibly fun but those times are long gone.

I have been looking for work, but haven't figured out what I want to do when I grow up. This past week I've applied for jobs for a bank teller, retail store manager, project manager, and get this, the CIO for an IT firm (fat chance but what the hay?). I'm going to hit home improvement stores this week to support my love of building things around the house. Next week I might go for fabric stores.

laceface

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jobless at the moment. I did daycare work for awhile, but ratios down here in florida are insane, so I switched to being a bus assistant...that bores me to death, and we don't have work in the summer. I am hopefully applying to West, a call center pretty soon... My dream job is teaching, and after we get my fiance done with his schooling, it will be my turn, lol.

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

I am a stay at home Mom, or as my children say my Mom doesn't do anything
That made me laugh.
In a way, it's the ultimate compliment to hear such a thing from a child, isn't it; because as I've only learned in recent years, sometimes the more uneventful a child's life is, the better.

Right now, they see a mom that "doesn't do anything". One day they'll see a mom that wasn't constantly fighting "house fires", because she had everything in order.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am one of the masses who is currently unemployed.

I have a degree in Math, but have been working in Accounting since '96. The problem? There are too many people with Accounting degrees looking for a job right now, so nobody cares about my experience. And I haven't worked retail since college, so they don't want to hire me because of my salary history... they're afraid I'll bolt as soon as I find a better job (which I would).

SO, I'm taking online classes working toward my second Bachelor's, this time in Accounting. I'm one of those crazy people who actually find joy in making spreadsheets and balancing accounts...

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a Land Use / Community Planner for my county. Which means that I'm the one who gets to review those subdivisions and/or land development plans that come in when new subdivisions are done for a plot of land or a new store or business comes into the area. Or when a new addition is built to an existing business. It's a sometimes interesting, sometimes rewarding, and sometimes downright thankless job. And there are times when I'm not the most popular person around. But hey, somebody's gotta do it.
And I've been doing it now for almost 11 years.

I have a BA in Geography with a concentration in Environmental Planning.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a laboratory analyst at an environmental chemistry lab. I basically test for mercury in soil, water, wastes, and fish tissues. I've been there 4 years this month, and changed my major a few semesters ago to start working towards a degree in my field.

My dream job would be to have a cat sanctuary

adriana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm an Esthetician. I've worked at this specific spa for 3 years. I enjoy it, because it's hands on, literally and spend my day making people feel happy and relaxed. The pay isn't out of this world, but I enjoy the enviornment, my co-workers and the satisfied feeling that I made someone's day that much better. I'm lucky to live with my BF who makes about 70% more income than me, so I atleast don't have to worry about money as much as I would if I lived on my own. Gold digger, holla. LOL JK.
My dream job was a make up artist, which essentially is still part of my job, but to solely be a make up artist would not pay the bills around here sadly.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I currently work in childcare. I have been in this field for about 16 years. I'm a lead infant teacher at a church based childcare center.

I would love to eventually open a newborn/childrens portrait photography studio on our acreage sometime in the future. I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to it or not. I love to take pictures and I think I'm pretty good at it (at least better than most people I see that charge money to take snapshots), but I'm HORRIBLY shy around people I don't know, so it hinders me in my ability to take on clients.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm an RN Surgical First Assistant....and, yes, it is my dream job (I've always wanted to be in the medical field.) I'm also the Surgical Services Coordinator for General and Plastic Surgery. My job is a source of personal fulfillment and pride. I am thankful that I have been blessed in finding a job where I can make a significant difference in people's lives. I feel doubly blessed by finding a way to make a living doing something that I enjoy so much.

I've worked in the O.R. for 25 years, and in this position, at this hospital, for 23 years. Before I became a Surgical Technologist, I had worked as a waitress, a cocktail waitress, in retail sales, as a receptionist, cashier and done clothing alterations.