Question of the Day - Thursday, June 8, 2023

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's the best perk you have ever enjoyed at a job?

I haven't enjoyed it yet, maybe in the next few years, but my job offers 3 months of paid parental leave. Minnesota recently approved mandatory paid family leave for everyone (I believe the requirement is at least a percentage of the employee's income). My job does 3 months of fully paid leave though, so it is different than the new Minnesota law which also won't take effect until 2025.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was working for a neurologist when I had an allergic reaction to something. I started itching under my arms shortly after getting to work one day and hives started spreading a little while later. A few hours after that I walked into his office he shared with his assistant to talk to her and she gasped and pointed at the same time I literally felt the hives crawl up my face. He walked in behind me and said “You need to be seen.” So I called my primary and told them “I work for Dr. So&So and he said I need to be seen.” It was after 2 and they were still like “Come right in!! 😁” So yeah; no fun but man I wish I could always get that kind of service. Its a good thing too because I looked so bad people were staring while I waited for my prescription! It was miserable! I ended up going to work just to distract myself from itching.

Now I call my current primary and they just tell me to go to the walk in (which doesn’t take my insurance) or the er. Or wait a day or two till they can see if I have strep or not. :rolleyes2:

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Free public transport in my first job with the railways, which lasted longer than the job did (all through my time in the state public service). In Melbourne, which has long been a nightmare to drive in, but which has trains, trams and buses throughout the suburbs, that meant I didn’t even need to think about learning to drive. Huge saving!

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
The holiday parties when I worked at Pepsi

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's a toss up between the job where my hours were 7am-4pm, or my current job where we have the week between Christmas and New Year's off with pay.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I pretty much get to do what I want. I can take holidays whenever and have control of my own schedule. And you don't get this very often in a work setting, but everybody I work with are good people. Despite differences in personalities, ages, beliefs, etc... we all get along great and help each other out...It's a really good environment. It got a little hairy during covid as there were some very polarized views on all the "government stuff"...I was concerned about what would happen to me if the boss decided to just bow out completely and close up (it came close)...but even with that, it never came between us as people/friends...
Things are calm again and everyone has found their groove post covid...so it's all back to normal.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The freedom to make my own schedule (to a degree).
The same. As long as I got my work done and recorded my hours accurately, I could make my own schedule. My typical schedule was 7-4. If I had a doctor appointment or something, I could just go, I didn't need permission. Unless there was a deliverable due, they were very flexible. Even if there was a deliverable and I could find someone to do what I did, they were flexible. The other perk was I worked for/with some really great people.