Question of the day - Thursday 30 January

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a very sensitive sense of smell. (I love perfume, but I am exceptionally picky about what kinds smell good. Unfortunately for me, they tend to be expensive! Haha!)

I agree that cigarettes, vinegar, pickles, and bleach smell horrific. My one friend had her mother move in with her and she (the mother) makes cleaning supplies out of vinegar and uses it as a fabric softener. I want to vomit every time I am there.

Because I have cibophobia relating to most fruit, I cannot stand the smell of them. It is so bad that if I see one on TV or in a picture, I can imagine the smell and it makes me sick. There are some exclusions: I enjoy most of the citrus family, raspberries, blackberries, and mulberries. The smell (or even thought of) of certain fruits that are typically red and roundish (think Snow White) causes me great distress, and, when I smell them, I get very upset because I know that the molecules are getting into my body. Even if it is a synthetic candle smell. It is just so foul. Not to be gross, but, to me, they smell like old bandaids used on a very infected wound. I would rather think of the infection, though!

I do not like the smell of people coming inside the house on certain days. I do not know what causes it, but it makes me think of the smell of worms and wet fur. Not the smell of petrichor. I love that smell! My husband has a similar smell. (Oddly enough, he does not have stinky sweat. I swear. He does not have to use deodorant. I thought it was weird and looked it up once. Some people are lucky like that.) It is something else. Wormy and wet fur. It is not every day, just some days.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I do not like the smell of cigarettes after somebody has come inside from a smoke break. If I'm outside in it, it doesn't bother me. Afterward, I don't care to smell it on people. I was a 2-1/2 pack a day smoker for 20 years and, to this day, I still miss smoking.

Old People Smell. Yes, there really is such a thing. My co-worker bought a house that was sold by people in their late 70s. You could smell them in the house. He had to buy an ionizing machine and run it for 24 hours to get rid of the odor. All the cleaning in the world that we did and it didn't do anything to get rid of the Old People Smell. Ugh

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I used to walk into Rick's parents' house and all I could smell was dog and old people. It really bothered me, although I think part of it was because they were dependent on others doing their laundry and helping them with showers and such. If the people didn't show up to do the work, there they were. But I'm always afraid that people are going to walk in our house and smell dog. And cat pee. So far, we've been lucky. I do a ton of laundry and we give The Beast regular baths (much to her chagrin).

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately many of our elderly lose their sense of smell. Often they just don't know they need to continue bathing and also sadly they must depend upon others (who are always in short supply) to help them. We need many more volunteers. These wonderful people who have left us such a great deal deserve a whole lot better!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is such a thing as "old people smell" and it's not due to lack of cleanliness. It's due to changing body chemistry.
Old person smell - Wikipedia

I can't stand most perfumes---even if I like the scent at first, and apply just a tiny amount, after about 10 minutes I want to rip my nose off. I'm always doing that at malls, lol. You'd think I'd learn but nooo.

I don't like strong floral scents. Rose smell, especially, just gives me an instant headache. I can usually handle it on the plant (although sometimes I have to step away from the lilac bush when it's in full bloom), but in concentrated form it's just too much. Lavender too.

I really don't like fresh cut grass smell. So many people say they like it but ugh.

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There is such a thing as "old people smell" and it's not due to lack of cleanliness. It's due to changing body chemistry.
Old person smell - Wikipedia

I can't stand most perfumes---even if I like the scent at first, and apply just a tiny amount, after about 10 minutes I want to rip my nose off. I'm always doing that at malls, lol. You'd think I'd learn but nooo.

I don't like strong floral scents. Rose smell, especially, just gives me an instant headache. I can usually handle it on the plant (although sometimes I have to step away from the lilac bush when it's in full bloom), but in concentrated form it's just too much. Lavender too.

I really don't like fresh cut grass smell. So many people say they like it but ugh.
I know about "Old People Smells". It's not just body chemistry changes. All the drugs I have to take daily contribute as well I imagine. I shower evrey day just to be safe. :lol: ;):p