Question Of The Day - Thursday 26 April

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi everyone :wave3:

Do you know/like your neighbours ? ;)

I know about half the neighbours that live in my street. Mainly the ones who have lived here the longest. My street is pretty quiet but we all get along pretty well, when I see them that is. :)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know the names of some neighbors. I semi sorta know the lady who lives across the street. She sends me photo updates on my cats periodically and is currently fretting because Links been visiting her less often. Two other neighbors I had to inform that Link was my cat after they made comments about “their stray” following me around. Which he has a bright teal collar that is fairly noticeable so why they assumed he was stray is beyond me.... although they thought Link and Rocket were the same cat and her collar is red.

My parents know the neighbors more than I do. I think they can tell basic biographical information about the neighbors two houses in either direction. They also know pretty much a block around us gossip only because the lady across the street knows everyone’s business. But my parents are retired and rarely do anything outside the neighborhood. Before retiring my dad worked from home for seven years too.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Back in the old days... (yeah, I'm that old!) we knew everyone on the block and we were neighbors in the true sense. We helped one another and socialized. Now, we've lived in this house almost 45 years and we know the names of two neighbors, ones next door and ones across the street. We only talk with the ones across the street and we cat-sit for them. I guess everyone is too busy with their lives or the computer. I do miss the way it was.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ugh, we aren't friendly with anyone except, our neighbors to the left of us. We've gotten quite friendly with them. We even asked them to come to our small backyard wedding last June, which they did.

Everyone else? Nobody was particularly friendly when we moved here almost 8 years ago now. Which is fine, because none of them are really our kind of people by a long shot. People across the street we've had to call the cops on numerous times for noise issues; they leave their dog outside barking for long periods (even in bad weather) and I think they run some kind of party thing regularly in the summer. Thankfully our street is wide so it isn't like we're right on top of them but our bedroom does face that way and well, it can be quite disturbing.

Very different than how I grew up where everyone knew each other. I kind of miss that but in other ways, I'm perfectly fine with being more anonymous.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really know my neighbors. I moved here almost 3 months ago and I haven't really seen any of my neighbors either. The lady who lives above me I've run into several times though, the first time being because I was vacuuming at 10pm and she wanted me to stop. Ooops. :oops:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
We've lived on a cul-de-sac for 20 years and have only half a dozen neighbors on the whole street. Our next door neighbors are close friends. In fact, the woman who lives there used to work at the SPCA and is responsible for us having our 3 SPCA kitties. We tell the kitties she's "Auntie J." :lol:

We know and get along with the other neighbors but don't socialize with them.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know the two neighbors east of me (closest ones). We help each other out if someone needs it and we call each other to warn that the bear or cougar is about.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know a half dozen of my neighbors and enjoy talking with them in the summer when we are all outside. The whole subdivision has sidewalks, and people do a lot of walking, so it's easy to strike up conversations. But I don't really socialize with them.

Like everyone else, I miss the old days when we knew everyone in the neighborhood.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We have a rather long street but at least half of the neighbors on our block have lived here before us and we all get along well. When our kids were young we would walk to the park together, they would play in one another's yard, have sleepovers, go trick-or-treating, etc. Dogs don't bother me since we had a dog also and most of the dog owners are respectful. But the new neighbors behind us annoy me. I guess every block has at least one nuisance. :hmmm:

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have many neighbors. I know my next door neighbors pretty well. We help each other out. They invite me over for a meal about once a week. I appreciate it as I get tired of my own cooking! I know the folks .2 mile down the road, but I don't see them much. The folks across the road I wave to, but we don't get along that well. I complained to them about the plastic they were (illegally) burning when I first moved in. The haven't been real friendly to me since.:dunno:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
No, not really. We used to, but a lot of the older people moved out. I'm not really interested in the neighbors, to be honest, and tend to remain on my own.

Our next-door neighbors have been there forever and we know them well. If he sees us outside working, he'll come over and take a break with us, sit on the swing in the back yard, drink a soda and have some cookies. When we take The Beast out and our neighbor's outside, she likes to go over and visit. But he and wife are the only people I really talk to.

And, of course, we have The Idiot up on the hill, which is a whole 'nother story. He owns the property behind us, but doesn't live there. He just comes in a couple times a week to mow the weeds and watch all the kids.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We've lived on a cul-de-sac for 20 years and have only half a dozen neighbors on the whole street. Our next door neighbors are close friends.
Same here, but it's been >30 years. We've gotten two new sets of neighbors in the past two years who are quite nice, but a lot younger than us.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I lived in the neighborhood, I only had 1 set of direct neighbors, and got along relatively well with them. Both Clemson fans, had a dog also, and we'd exchange cards or cookies for the holidays. There were a few other friendly neighbors in the small neighborhood though did not talk to many of them often. FB friends with a couple of them still.

Where I live now, the neighbors are renters from the fiance's family. He doesn't get along with them all that well, but I've had no issues. Only met them once so far though.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have any close neighbors. There is a man who owns the house down the road about 1/4 mile, but he doesn't live there. He comes some when he is off from his job. He works hard and keeps the little house in good shape. The closest house where somebody lives is two miles down the road. I don't know who they are.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know the family who live opposite me quite well, though I'm not very close with the families who live next door to me and we rarely talk.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
to various extents, i know all my neighbors -- the whole of the hamlet where i live. i enjoy talking with one of my next door neighbors, their whole extended family -- very nice people! :D there's a tiny rental house wedged between my house and those neighbors, i've met the young guy who's currently renting it but we don't usually talk or say 'hi' to each other. and then there's the neighbors on the other side of my house. i've learned to steer clear of them.