Question Of The Day - Thursday 25 July

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi everyone :wave2:

What is the meaning behind your username ? :)

Well, my name is Gemma aka Gem.
I think Gem is a little too short for a username & it was most likely already taken. :rolleyes2:
Plus my kitties are my little gems. So, GemsGem. Although, I'm now thinking I should have had a ‘s’ on the end as in ‘GemsGems’ as I have more than one cat :think:

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone :wave2:

What is the meaning behind your username ? :)

Well, my name is Gemma aka Gem.
I think Gem is a little too short for a username & it was most likely already taken. :rolleyes2:
Plus my kitties are my little gems. So, GemsGem. Although, I'm now thinking I should have had a ‘s’ on the end as in ‘GemsGems’ as I have more than one cat :think:
Or maybe you're THEIR gem.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made a mistake when I signed up, leaving out an "s." DreamersRose has been my Internet name for at least 15 years. I chose it because I used to raise roses, and I was always dreaming about the perfect rose.

Unfortunately, I am stuck with "DreamerRose" on this forum because it's impossible to change the name.

Last edited by a moderator:

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband calls me Elphaba, and some of my friends call me Elphie. It is after the musical and book "Wicked." It started off because of witch connection and as a sort of silly joke. Then it kind of stuck because the character and I have some similarities. No, I cannot sing! (Imagine Janis Joplin with a sore throat and tone-deafness.) There is a shared sense of constant malapropos and a tendency to be a bit of a firebrand when it comes to certain things. My husband says that it is the firebrand part that led him to call me Elphaba. I can understand that.

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Actually, Sidewinder is my handle in dirt biking forums... dunno why I used it here, I usually go with Railsplitter, my handle from my "trucking daze." I have a thousand trucking photos posted across the web, cool pics from my days as a "turista pagado" (paid tourist en espanol, LOL). Those pics were taken back in the day, before the industry was ruined and they took all the fun out of it... I'm just glad I went when I did and saw the country like few others have, using my 10-ton road tractor as an RV and having the time of my life. I kept field gear, climbing gear, and a 4-man inflatable raft aboard my truck for the good times, and I never hesitated to burn company fuel while checking out county, state & national parks, taking boat rides & float trips, visiting various beaches & skyscrapers, etc., etc. A model employee I certainly was NOT, LOL, but I always held up my end of the bargain when it came to delivering freight. I liked the long runs from one coast clear to the other, big triangles were also good for making money. Meh, many folks just don't get it when it comes to trucking, and indeed the industry has been ruined, but it was glorious in its heyday... thundering across the San Rafael Swell in a 90-m.p.h. rig was always good for the soul, LOL. :eek:

Last edited:

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lola is my current cat's name. 3791 is related to my obsession with The Lord of the Rings.
"Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them,
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie."

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lola is my current cat's name. 3791 is related to my obsession with The Lord of the Rings.
"Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them,
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie."
Cool, another Tolkien fan!!! Guess there's a new movie about him, haven't seen it yet... hopefully they did him proud, LOL. The earlier movies were alright, but I liked the books better, THE HOBBIT is a fantasy classic!!! Same with the trilogy, the guy was a great author. Of course, I like Nevil Shute, Arthur Conan Doyle, C.S. Forester, and Robert Louis Stevenson better, but Tolkien was the master when it came to fantasy. :bigeyes:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I wanted the name of a cat from literature since I was an English lit major in college. Several were already taken, so I decided to use the name of the talking cat from Saki’s 1911 short story. But like DreamerRose DreamerRose I made a mistake which I discovered a split second too late! It should actually be Tobermory instead of Tobermorey. :doh: Drives me crazy every time I look at it.