Question of the day - Thursday 23 January

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like the veggies that were favorites of my southern mom's: turnips, rutabagas, mustard greens, turnip greens, succotash (limas and corn), or kale. I still don't eat any of them. She was also big on dried beans; I suppose because they were cheap. I like the ones she never cooked: broccoli, spinach, asparagus, zucchini, and parsnips. She also swooned at the idea of adding garlic to anything.

I do like liver. Veal liver is much milder than beef liver and with the onions, is quite good. Any kind of liver is hard to find, but if you decide to try it, ask for veal liver.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just though of another one. My dad loves blood sausage, although he was he only one, I guess he takes after my grandfather who also loved it. But one time we had it for dinner, just for him. He ate his meal with gusto, as we looked at him with disgust. We had regular sausage to eat but my dad asked us to please just try it, a few bites a piece. So we did, and will never again. My dad had a really good laugh that meal watching us and seeing how disgusted we were.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People always say that, you'll like it cooked my way. Then they cook it wrapped in pineapple or bacon and it always tastes the same...disgusting.
I always hated it when someone said that to me. If I don't like something than I don't like it. It has nothing to do with the way they cook it!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It has nothing to do with the way they cook it!
It can. For instance, to me, boiled turnips are the worst things ever. Ugh nasty. But oven roasted turnips tossed with garlic. . .mmm. So, yeah, cooking methods can make a big difference, although sometimes not a big enough difference!

Also, for me, vinegar sauerkraut = yuck. Proper salt-cured fermented sauerkraut = yum.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Saurkraut. Still hate it. It is basically spoiled cabbage. My mom loved it but no one else would touch it. A close second is buttermilk. Basically spoiled milk. Ugh!
Sauerkraut is pickled cabbage, not spoiled. I don't know if I've ever had salt-cured fermented sauerkraut, but I do like cucumber pickles pickled like that - like hamburger dills. Buttermilk could be called sour, but what is or was is whole milk, from the cow, churned until the butter forms and can be taken out. What is left is buttermilk. I like it, and it's great for cooking.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can. For instance, to me, boiled turnips are the worst things ever. Ugh nasty. But oven roasted turnips tossed with garlic. . .mmm. So, yeah, cooking methods can make a big difference, although sometimes not a big enough difference!
Mother boiled the turnips and rutabagas, and then mashed them. :barf: Maybe they would have been better with salt and butter, but plain, no. Just no.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Liver for me too. I would spit it out if I accidentally put it in my mouth, even if I am in a fancy restaurant I would not care to mind my manners. :lol:

In the Philippines there is also this "balut" - it is a developing embryo of a bird that is boiled and eaten direct from the shell. There is NO WAY from then until now that anyone can force me to eat that. Disgusting! Others find it delicious, though.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Another hand up here for liver. Though, I can tolerate it in very small amounts if it's been fried. But definitely not when it's sort of stewed with onions. :barfgreen: And kidneys - can't bear the taste or the texture.

Also celery, hate the bitterness and I can taste it in anything.

Gherkins. Bleugh.

Ginger in any form. Good way to keep me out of the biscuits at work is to put ginger nuts in with them!

I'll eat most things though but a few definite dislikes.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And kidneys - can't bear the taste or the texture.
I have never tried kidney myself, but once bought some for the pets when I was trying out raw feeding. Yeah I'm not putting that in my mouth. The odor was awful.
Ewww! What will they think of next?!
It's a very old tradition, probably it made sense way back when nutrition was harder to come by.

In China they eat eggs boiled in schoolboys' urine. Which is less gross than balut (after all, boiling it makes it sterile) but I'm still not sure I could eat that, just from the thought of it. But then if I think of any food too much I get disgusted.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never tried kidney myself, but once bought some for the pets when I was trying out raw feeding. Yeah I'm not putting that in my mouth. The odor was awful.

It's a very old tradition, probably it made sense way back when nutrition was harder to come by.

In China they eat eggs boiled in schoolboys' urine. Which is less gross than balut (after all, boiling it makes it sterile) but I'm still not sure I could eat that, just from the thought of it. But then if I think of any food too much I get disgusted.
That is just disgusting.