Question of the day - Thursday 23 January

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hated meat in general when I was a kid, but I especially hated liver, as well as gizzards, hearts, sweetbreads, tripe, etc. Well, I did like homemade tamales made from a hog's head. I just tried not to think about it. :wink:

I eventually developed a taste for some kinds of meat when I was a teenager, but I still hate liver and all that other weird stuff. But I will cook pretty much anything for our kitties when they're sick, even if the smell makes me want to puke. :)

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brussel sprouts..taste like mud.
And they remind my of my Aunt the parents used to make us stay with as kids..we called her the black haired witch.
She wouldnt let me leave the table until I had eaten them so when she went out the room I threw them out the window..and got caught....

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Bananas. I still can't stand even the smell of them. Liver, on the other hand, is something I've always liked. My mom and siblings hated it, so my grandmother always invited my dad and me for dinner when she cooked it.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Liver should NOT even be classified as food. Not for anyone or anything! Nor any blood organs.
I agree. It's vile. Fortunately I didn't have to eat it as a kid. Only mom liked it and she made it for herself when dad when was at work. He couldn't even stand the smell of it. I can detect the smallest amount of the stuff in anything. That nasty minerally taste races to the front of the line and ruins everything it touches.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Liver and onions. Creamed dandelion or endive over boiled potatoes. Stewed tomatoes over boiled potatoes.

I love liver and the creamed dandelion now. Still can't stomach stewed tomatoes.

Sweet potatoes. When I was in my early teens, I was on kitchen duty at our local hospital. They had sweet potatoes on the menu. This was back during the time where the hospital actually had a kitchen and the food was actually home-cooked. We had to eat our supper in the kitchen because we worked from 4 to 7:30. The head cook put some sweet potatoes on my plate and I wrinkled my nose. "I'm sorry, but I don't like sweet potatoes." "Have you ever eaten sweet potatoes?" "Well, no, but I don't like them." "You are going to take this plate and go into the dining room and eat your dinner....INCLUDING the sweet potatoes!" Gulp. I took the plate into the dining room, sat down, and ate my dinner. Including the blasted sweet potatoes. Hazel walked in. "Well?" "They're not bad, Thanks!" And I do eat them now.

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Liver should NOT even be classified as food. Not for anyone or anything! Nor any blood organs.
You've never had it cooked correctly then.
I've made liver for people (just like all of you) who hated it. They came back for seconds.

Mine is carrots, onions, radishes and celery. Still won't touch them no matter how it's made.
Also never liked pink fish. ie.. trout, salmon etc..

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I liked liver when I was a kid. And tongue. I was a weird kid. I don't like them now; it's really the texture that gets me. Plus the thought of eating. . .that. Eww.

I went through phases when I was a kid---sometimes I didn't like mayo, sometimes I didn't like mustard, etc. Sometimes I loved this and hated that, sometimes the opposite. I can't remember anything I hated my entire childhood. Fortunately my mom didn't want to repeat her parents' bad mistakes that caused her to have an eating disorder, so she didn't force food on us.