GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi everyone :wave3:

Are you a light or heavy sleeper ?
What does it take to disturb your sleep ? :sleep:

I'm an extremely light sleeper. Anything can wake me up, I can't sleep with tv on or with a ticking clock in the room. I can't even roll over in bed with out waking myself up :nervous: :( :confused:

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to be a very light sleeper. Now that I'm getting older, I can sleep through anything.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A very heavy sleeper. Usually a ten pound cat jumping from floor or dresser and landing flat on me with claws out. :crackup:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I guess I am a heavy sleeper.

Being hearing impaired, noise won't wake me up.

But light does. Even small lights like someone looking at their cellphone would wake me up.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I was a very light sleeper when I was young. In high school, sleep was sparse. As I have gotten older, I have become a heavy sleeper. I am an aware sleeper, I notice kitties walking over me, but I don't really wake up.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mostly light. Certain noises lull me to sleep (fan) but if I notice a noise they make (a click or a pattern) it drives me nuts. Occasionally I'll drop into a super heavy sleep but this is rare (but so nice...)
Sleeping light I dream several dreams, usually nightly, that are vivid, extremely weird. If I can't remember the actual dream, I can remember the emotion (happiness, sadness, fear, etc.) Waking up after this is like waking up after 3 hours of sleep after a 16 hour work day, blah.
Sleeping heavy I don't dream or don't have any recollection of anything and wake up feeling so much better!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once slept through my sister setting off the house alarm system...does that answer the question? :flail::lol2:
:spew:
I woke up one night and had no idea why. Then I heard a very, VERY faint noise from the other side of the house, I had to strain my ears to hear it and finally got up to see what it was. A cat was trying to quietly and stealthily open a cabinet up to extract all the treats and food inside... :headshake:
Light sleeping + hearing that rivals a dogs = bad quality sleep. :bawling::bawling::bawling:

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:spew:
I woke up one night and had no idea why. Then I heard a very, VERY faint noise from the other side of the house, I had to strain my ears to hear it and finally got up to see what it was. A cat was trying to quietly and stealthily open a cabinet up to extract all the treats and food inside... :headshake:
Light sleeping + hearing that rivals a dogs = bad quality sleep. :bawling::bawling::bawling:
At least now your cats know that they can't pull any ninja moves on you throughout the night :p

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At least now your cats know that they can't pull any ninja moves on you throughout the night :p
Actually my light sleeping is half the reason why the cats are sadly banned from our room during the night =( I couldn't sleep with the constant walking across me, attacking my feet when they moved under the covers, and the 3:00AM game of "Which one of us cats do you think looks most like a Davy Crockett hat? I'll go first and use food bearing humans head as a mannequin."
I'm very glad that they're usually somewhat quiet at night but at about 5:00AM older girl cat hangs out by our door and utters a soft "purr-row?" 5:15, a more urgent "purr-ROW?" By 6:00 AM she's banging the door with both her fists, screaming "I *SAID* PURR-ROW DAMMIT" because she wants fed. And like a sucker, I get up and feed her.

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Actually my light sleeping is half the reason why the cats are sadly banned from our room during the night =( I couldn't sleep with the constant walking across me, attacking my feet when they moved under the covers, and the 3:00AM game of "Which one of us cats do you think looks most like a Davy Crockett hat? I'll go first and use food bearing humans head as a mannequin."
I'm very glad that they're usually somewhat quiet at night but at about 5:00AM older girl cat hangs out by our door and utters a soft "purr-row?" 5:15, a more urgent "purr-ROW?" By 6:00 AM she's banging the door with both her fists, screaming "I *SAID* PURR-ROW DAMMIT" because she wants fed. And like a sucker, I get up and feed her.
HAHAH you had me laughing out loud at work reading that!:flail:
I know what you mean. My male cat as soon as he sees my sleeping on my back he thinks its an invite to come and make biscuits on my tummy:lol2:. And then as soon as my alarm goes off Stella comes running up and licking my face like "come on mawwwwwmmm you know what that means". If i DARE hit snooze then she starts the high pitched whines and non stop "mama, MAMA!!!"..which in turns once again makes toby think its time for biscuits on my stomach:eviltongue: those are my mornings :lol:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HAHAH you had me laughing out loud at work reading that!:flail:
I know what you mean. My male cat as soon as he sees my sleeping on my back he thinks its an invite to come and make biscuits on my tummy:lol2:. And then as soon as my alarm goes off Stella comes running up and licking my face like "come on mawwwwwmmm you know what that means". If i DARE hit snooze then she starts the high pitched whines and non stop "mama, MAMA!!!"..which in turns once again makes toby think its time for biscuits on my stomach:eviltongue: those are my mornings :lol:
Oh the alarm!!!! That dreaded thing! It sets one of our dogs off on a low, long howling and he doesn't even open his eyes. The longer we ignore him (and that stupid clock that has seen more "air time" than a B-17...aka, I throw it a lot) the louder and more urgent his howls until he's screaming, eyes closed.
I do think the cats hear a screaming dog and think "food in 15" because 9 times out of 10, whenever one of us stumbles into the kitchen they're sitting primly in their "food spots" all adorableness and pleasantries.
Whoever said humans are the top of the food chain never owned dogs OR cats.

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh the alarm!!!! That dreaded thing! It sets one of our dogs off on a low, long howling and he doesn't even open his eyes. The longer we ignore him (and that stupid clock that has seen more "air time" than a B-17...aka, I throw it a lot) the louder and more urgent his howls until he's screaming, eyes closed.
I do think the cats hear a screaming dog and think "food in 15" because 9 times out of 10, whenever one of us stumbles into the kitchen they're sitting primly in their "food spots" all adorableness and pleasantries.
Whoever said humans are the top of the food chain never owned dogs OR cats.
HAHAH with his eyes closed :flail::flail: maybe by now its just his morning routine haha how funny! And yes that is so true..I will never understand how a tiny ball of fur makes us into slaves within minutes of entering our lives hahaha my friends always ask me why I am up at 7:30 even on weekends...I Just tell them well its playtime and then breakfast for the prince and princess:lol2:

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In general, I'm a heavy sleeper but certain sounds will have me up immediately. If my cat or dog starts heaving I'm awake right away and trying to grab something to contain the mess. I'm also up immediately if one of them is having a bad dream and needs cuddles.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Generally speaking I'm a sound sleeper, not too light and not too heavy. But if I have something on my mind then the smallest sound will wake me up.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lately I've been more of a light sleeper, which means I don't sleep as well as I used to. I sometimes sleep heavy and don't wake up to anything. The thing waking me up lately are my cats.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
When it comes to the cats, mostly light. Rick says I can hear a cat breathe deeply anywhere in the house at 2:00 in the morning. If a cat coughs, the bedroom light goes on and I'm trying to figure out where the hairball is. If a cat cries out, I'm on my way to figure out what's wrong.

When I worked in the paper plant, I was a very heavy sleeper. Rick and my brother took me to a Hershey Bears hockey game. I curled up in my chair, threw my coat over me, and went to sleep. Everybody around me was amazed when I started snoring. :paperbag: Once in the middle of the night, the smoke alarm went off. Rick and our son awakened and started looking through the house. Me, I slept through the whole thing. Rick awakened me and asked, "Pam, did you hear the alarm?" I mumbled, "What alarm?" and rolled over. They checked the house, found nothing and went back to bed. Only to have the alarm go off again. They got back up, searched the house again, and found nothing. They even searched our attic, meaning they had to go up into the attic from our bedroom closet. Still nothing from me. I pretty much slept through all of it.

Last edited:

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to be a sound sleeper, but I sleep in half hour increments now that I’m older, though oddly it’s not usually noises that keep me awake, just body aches or insomnia.