GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi everyone :wave3:

Another easy question this Thursday :D

What is the oldest thing you own ? :)

I have a little box of old coins that I inherited from my grand mother. The oldest being a King George 5th farthing from 1912

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have the first 2 stuffed animals given to me. A cat ("Smokey") and a poodle ("Ginger")
Both were made by Steiff. Not in bad shape considering they are now 58 years old.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it would be my antique postcards, they are mostly dated 1905-1911, during the postcard craze of the day. I do however have a few paper items from the late 1800's that I got on ebay such as advertising trade cards, pages from horticultural magazines and US postals. I have a fascination with that time period and enjoy trying to take whatever clues I can find from the cards, their messages, as to how life was and what it looked like.

One of my treasured possessions is a china Siamese cat (I'm guessing from the 1950's) that I hope to keep with me always. I could be mistaken on the date and it may be a little later. One of the rhinestones is missing but I love it.
20171023_132518.jpg I am not one to keep many things, but this is an exception. It reminds me of my Speedy.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The oldest thing I have is a first edition of a book called Beyond The Lines, written by a Union soldier captured by the Confederacy. It was published in 1863. A few of the past owners wrote their name and the year they got the book, so I did the same.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I will own a Hope Chest that is 100+ years old. My Great Grandmother gave it to my Mom and she got it from an older female relative of hers. So it's at least from somewhere in the 1800s. There are a lot of old family items in there, original Disneyland map for one but random other things. We also have several old photographs dating back to late 1800 and my Great Grandfather baptism outfit from 1904. My Aunt has no children and she inherited an old clock from early 1900 so that will come to me too. Two 1920s or older windup toys (that still work) and a couple handcrafted leather, wood working and ceramic items made by my Great Grandparents in the 1920-1950 range. Things on that side of my family have always gone to the females so I doubt my brother will ask for anything unless something hold particular interest for him and there are no cousins to fight with for family heirlooms.

Currently, I think I only personally own a picture from the 80s and some stuffed animals from then as my oldest items that are not waiting to be passed down.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a glass Crisco jar that is from 1942-1945 when Crisco went from tin to glass jars during World war II. According to Crisco's FB page, "the slogan "Tin Goes to War—Crisco Goes to Glass" spread the patriotic message of metal conservation on the home front. After thirty years of tin packaging, Crisco, along with many other metal canned products (such as Folgers), made the switch to glass. Marketed as a new "uniform," the glass jars were packed in a protective cardboard carton and still carried Crisco's familiar blue and white label. The glass jar featured an easy-open lid, which many consumers saw as an advantage in package design."

I also have a white cloth that my great great (great?) grandmother made. I was told it is very old. I have an vintage pastry cutter that I use. It has to be over 50 years old. I have some old dishes. I'm not sure which of these are the oldest though.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Now I feel old! I have a lot of things I bought new that are over 50 years old, including my daily flatware amid dining room table and chairs. I have a seashell that was harvested in Mexico sometime in the 1800s. It had been around a while when it was given to my godmother in the early 1900s. She passed it to me around 1955.

I have quite a few old books, including cookbooks, many from the 1940s and 50s. One I especially like is a little one with recipes that could be made with items obtainable with ration stamps.

I'd guess the oldest thing around the house might be my husband, who's 19 days older than I. We're both 71, almost 72.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess that depends on the definition of "oldest". If it's thing I've owned the longest that would be Baby Snoopy.

20170422_091817.jpg

It's harder if it's oldest by when it was created. I have inherited my great grandma's wedding ring. I'm not sure if I have anything more antique or not.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mother Dragon Mother Dragon , that is really special sharing a birthday so close to your husband, only 19 days apart! My sister and her husband are born only 20 days apart!:)

This is certainly a wonderful question here, I am really enjoying the responses, each with our different special items.:daisy::purplebutterfly::daisy::bluebutterfly::daisy::butterfly::daisy:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have this huge book on Greek mythology. I think it was written as it was happening.;) In reality the publishing date is somewhere around the 1870's (don't remember exactly.)

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I own a few pieces of ancient jewelry that were re-strung into wearable pieces, though I very rarely wear them: an Ancient Egyptian mummy bead necklace and earrings, a Roman rock crystal necklace (which has fallen apart), an Ancient Greek bronze bracelet, and the oldest, an Elamite clay bead necklace, which dates from Biblical times.

I also have a couple of pieces of 18th C. jewelry: a silver and diamond pendant, that I think started out as one of a pair of earrings, and a jargoon brooch, which I think is a turban brooch for a man's turban, from India. Jargoons are clear zircons, not to be confused with cubic zirconia, which is a fake stone. I do wear these sometimes, especially when I wear my 18th C. reproduction dresses for Halloween.