GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi everyone :wave2:

Have you ever locked yourself out of your house or car ? :doh:

This is one thing I’ve never actually managed to do :crazy:
I did get trapped in the kitchen at my work a few years back.
The door handle fell off :lol2:
Luckily, I was only stuck there for about 20 mins until someone realised :D

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My house yes a couple of times. It's a real pain but managed to get through open windows (bad security from me).
The worst one was locking myself out of our bedroom. I had to kick the door in and what made it worse is that I found the key in my car soon after, doh!!

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Out of my house several times but my b.i.l. is a locksmith so it was not a big deal to get back in except for once, when it was about 95 degrees and I couldn't reach him or my landlord. I walked back to town, bought a huge bottle of water and a Coke and sat in the library till my b.i.l. got off work.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, in my former home I locked myself out a couple of times. The first time I found out how easy it was to come in through a basement window. The second, after I replaced those basement windows required a locksmith.

Now at my current home I have only been locked out once, and I didn’t do it. I went out the front door and somehow the screen door locked itself afterwards. Fortunately I was able to use a screwdriver between the door and the casement to unlock the door.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Out of the house, once, but it was all right because 2 of our neighbors each have a key to our house, as we have one to theirs. Out of our vehicle? No, because I carry a spare key in my wallet for any such occasions.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, when I lived in an apartment, I locked myself out and the landlord had to come late at night to let me in. I also locked the keys in my car 3 times over the years. 2 times, my dad brought me the extra set of keys I gave him. The other time, some guy picked the lock for me at a gas station with a metal hanger. :thumbsup:

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Alone? No. But hubby and I locked ourselves out of our first apartment once and our car twice. Each time I thought he had the keys. Since then I ALWAYS carry car and house keys with me, even when he shows me he has them. :lol:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, on both counts and a few times each!:lol:

When we were in high school, my (older) sister had the house key. Several times she forgot it. The only way to get into the house was if we climbed up onto our shed, jumped over to the balcony (second story), climbed over the railing and opened the sliding doors (they were never locked). I ended up getting my own key after it happened a few times!
I always carried my spare car key in my purse in case I left the keys in my car. For some reason, I never forgot my purse...except one time, I was at a gas station, but thankfully the gas attendant was a friend of mine and his boss was OK with him driving me home to get my spare key. I was lucky that day because I left my purse at home and only grabbed my wallet, so the spare key was home and so was my family so I did not need my house keys.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone :wave2:

Have you ever locked yourself out of your house or car ? :doh:

This is one thing I’ve never actually managed to do :crazy:
I did get trapped in the kitchen at my work a few years back.
The door handle fell off :lol2:
Luckily, I was only stuck there for about 20 mins until someone realised :D
Yes, locked out of house once, now I have a spare key buried in a flower bed just in case.
Once I locked my keys in the car. I had a spare key but it was in my billfold laying in the front seat of the car! Made me feel 2x as dumb. Have spare hidden on car with hide a key now. Newer Honda you can't lock the keys in the car, it won't let you.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My aunt who had Alzheimer's locked me out of the car! It was one of those door locks you press down the little button to lock and pull it up to unlock. I tried to get her to pull up the lock by pointing to it through the window. She didn't understand. We were parked near a pay phone luckily and I called my husband to bring his car keys.

Never got out of the car with her in it ever again!
Or without the keys in my hand!

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I got locked out of my car but it was a fluke. I left the keys in the car but also left the car door open while I put in gas. A guy walked by and slammed the door, locking me out. I was beside myself. He never even looked back. We only had one car, so my husband had to rouse a neighbor to bring a key.

We loved it when cars came out with keypads on the door. The keyless ignition has been a problem because now I have to figure out where to put the key after I start the car. If the key fob battery dies so it won't open the door, there's a small door key hidden inside the fob. Otherwise, I might have to scramble on top of my huge SUV and slide in through the moon roof like Santa down the chimney. Unlike Santa, though, I'd probably get stuck halfway.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I locked myself out of my car once and had to call a locksmith. I also locked myself out of my house but was able to get in through the basement window. Since then I carry two sets of keys.

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I locked myself out of my house once. It was winter so all the windows I could normally pry up were locked to keep the cold air out. I ended up having to break one of the little windows in my back door mudroom area.

I've locked myself out of my car a few times too. Eventually I figured out you can squeeze a coat hanger or something similar through where the window meets the t-top weather stripping and pop the hatch.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another time I locked myself out of the car was when I dropped the keys in the trunk and closed it. I had to call a locksmith, costly mistake.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Twice I have locked myself out of my car. Once was when my daughter was a baby an in the backseat. I had gotten out at the sitter's house and had left my keys in the ignition. My (now ex) husband was nearby at work with a spare key. Since then, I stopped locking my door with the door lock. That almost worked until I locked my doors with the fob, got my wheelchair out, and then shut the trunk with my keys inside. That required a locksmith. Now, I do not lock my doors until I am in my wheelchair and the trunk is shut.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. Both. Our door leading to the garage is very easy to lock by just pulling it closed. More than once, I did just that and found I couldn't get back in after just going out for the paper. It's very disconcerting. I had to ring the doorbell to get hubby's attention - and listen to a lecture on why I should never go out without my keys. I've learned that lesson pretty good.

I haven't locked myself out of my car with this one because you lock it after you get out. The old one with the locks you push down and then close the door, I locked myself out of it numerous times - even once while it was running! That one required a locksmith.

I did lock myself in the stairwell at work once. climbed up the stairs to the 4th floor and found I didn't have my badge to get it. I stood there for a bit until I heard the elevator, then I knocked on the door. Turned out to be my boss at the time, and he had a pretty good laugh. I'm not the only one who has done that. My current boss will occasionally text me to come to the door and let him in :)

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I have locked myself out of my house and car several times each. I get back into my house by taking the door apart! I used to be able to get in my car with a coat hangar or something like that, but newer cars are not as easy to get into. I now carry a spare set of keys - both car and house - and I have them in my pocket at all times. Of course, since I started doing that thirty years ago, not one time have I locked myself out of car or house!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard to lock myself out of this place since someone is almost always around and the door is pretty much unlocked unless it's the middle of the night. But I'll find a way, if it's the last thing I do :crazy:
I never locked myself out of my truck but my dog did once. He was the only dog I had with me so he rode in the cab, uncrated. The dog was new and kind of a pup still and the goal was take him somewhere and not have him act like a dodo. We were at a family park type place with a buddy of mine and this dog was in the truck, acting like a lunatic because we were 25 feet away and he wasn't with us. My plan was to wait til he calmed down a little then get him out and let him sniff around. Well, it backfired, windows were 1/4 of the way down (it was cool and cloudy, so don't call the ASPCA on me), and in his lunacy he managed to trip the lock mechanism and lock me out. That dog was a brilliant brat ;)

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I locked myself out of my car when I went for my first job interview after graduating from college. I got to the place early since I was nervous about finding it and about city traffic, so I sat in the car and listened to music (with the key in the ignition) until it was time to go in for the interview. I got out, locked the door, and closed it...a split second before I realized I had locked myself out.

I didn’t tell the guy who interviewed me because I didn’t want him to think I was an idiot, but I sat through the entire interview in a panic. I was still living with my parents and that was 45 miles away and besides, I also didn’t want to tell my father, either. :noway:

After the interview, I walked down the street to a gas station, and told one of the attendants what I had done. He got a coat hanger, came back with me, and saved me!

And I did get the job! :)