Question Of The Day - Thursday 16 May

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi everyone :wave3:

Have you ever broken a bone ? If so, what bone & how ? :ohwell:

I guess I’ve been lucky. I’ve never broken any bones. Had stitches a few times as a kid though :rolleyes2:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mom says I broke my leg when I was a baby. Apparently my older brother (toddler aged) dropped me on the floor. Instead of taking me to the hospital for x rays and all that (I guess we didn't have health insurance plus maybe there were concerns of DCF getting involved), she just bound my leg up with cloth. I have no memory of this.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've broken both my arms. When I was about eight, I broke my left arm. I and the twins next door were roller skating down the hill in front of our houses. They were a year older than I and were jumping over a board on the way down. I was too afraid to try it, and they would snatch it away just before I got to it. After three or four times, they decided to leave it there. I came screaming down the sidewalk, begging them to remove the board, and they wouldn't. I hit the board and went flying up in the air and came down on my left arm.

Decades later, I was walking my dog one evening after it got dark on a long lead. He veered over to a grassy area, and I followed him, stepping into a rabbit hole. I was so afraid of letting go of the leash that I fell awkwardly on my right arm. That took some time to heal.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Broke my foot just by turning over on it and a couple of years ago broke my toe by rushing diwn the stairs and it doubled under itself.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I broke my tib and fib in a kart racing accident, clean snapped them with bone sticking out of my calf, boy did that hurt, agony. Luckily there's always an ambulance at race meetings so after a minute or so the inflatable splint they used took the pain away immediately. That was a relief and caused a euphoric feeling after the pain.
I broke my wrist on a punch bag and had to have a bone graft because it wouldn't set with a normal pot.
I broke my collar bone doing Jiu Jitsu.
I've broken a couple of toes stubbing them.
I don't recommend breaking bones.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a roll-off box at work needed repair because the side with the door hinges had broken loose, making it difficult to open and close. I had to grab the latch and really yank hard, and when the door finally came open, it dropped about 8 inches. Guess whose fingers got caught in the way? It took a bunch of stitches, but that 600 lb. door only cracked one bone, but it was on my left hand, and I'm totally left-handed.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I broke my left leg:when I was a kid
Riding a bicycle.Broke it half way between the knee & foot.Actually it was just cracked: until I stood upon it n then it completely broke.I didnt know.Thought I just fell with my bike.Like any kid I just got up.And oh boy did they hurt.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Broke my nose and a couple of ribs in a traffic accident.
Broke my leg slipping on the ice.
Broke my little toe by slamming it into furniture.
Broke my wrist in a fall.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
May have broken a bone in my foot. I ran into a table on New Year's Eve Day, went to a party and danced all night. By the next day my foot looked like a football so went to Urgent Care. Foot was too bruised to tell from the x-ray if there were any broken bones. Doc put in a cast for 3 days. When I went to have it removed I just left because it no longer hurt. That was in 1991 and I think bones may have been broken because my foot looks deformed.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Broke my foot at the toe line as a kid. Stupid accident. I was riding my bike and saw a branch stick out of the spoke. Meant to give it a kick to loosen it but instead caught my foot in the spoke and went over the handle bars. Because it was such a dumb thing to do didn’t tell my mom or go to the doc until nearly two weeks later. I recovered from it fairly well though but not from the knee injury I got from landing on my knee after going over the handlebars. That took a couple years of physical therapy so it didn’t keep locking.

Last edited:

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have fractured my finger playing basketball when I was a tween. I'm really lucky because I used to do all sorts of tricks on my skateboard and dirt-bike. I was a daredevil totally unaware of my own mortality- ah youth. I could've had much much worse accidents.

Right now I'm nursing a sprained ankle but it's not broken. And why did I sprain it- I pivoted my foot because I forgot to grab something on my way to the kitchen so I turned to grab a dirty glass (probably DH's). It's not a sexy story....so yeah. Age= awesomeness!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've broken my left collar bone twice - once when I was four by running into a wall, and the other the day before my eleventh birthday when I fell in the rain.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i fractured my big toe as an adult. i did see a doctor about it, who told me it would heal on it's own. yeah, right...:headshake:. it didn't heal particularly well, and is still painful often. :sigh:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, probably. I've been kicked, thrown, banged up, sent into the air, and done enough stupid stunts I probably have broken more than I care to know ;)

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve broken the same toe twice: the little toe on my right foot. And I broke it in exactly the same way: by running it into the edge of a door. The first time was in the early ‘90s. I was playing chase with my kitty Teddy. She raced into the bathroom to ”hide,” darting agilely around the half-open door. I raced after her and caught my toe on the edge of the half-open door...not so agilely. I just buddy taped the toe and it healed quickly. It helped to be young. :)

The second time was three months ago. I wasn’t chasing a cat, just walking fast through the house. This time it was visibly broken and stuck out at an odd angle. My husband had to drive me to Urgent Care because I couldn’t step on the accelerator or brake. It was broken and sprained, the doc said, but not dislocated. If it’s not dislocated, they don’t do anything other than buddy tape it and ask if you want pain meds. No, I didn’t want pain meds. It still hasn’t healed. :ohwell:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve broken the same toe twice: the little toe on my right foot. And I broke it in exactly the same way: by running it into the edge of a door. The first time was in the early ‘90s. I was playing chase with my kitty Teddy. She raced into the bathroom to ”hide,” darting agilely around the half-open door. I raced after her and caught my toe on the edge of the half-open door...not so agilely. I just buddy taped the toe and it healed quickly. It helped to be young. :)

The second time was three months ago. I wasn’t chasing a cat, just walking fast through the house. This time it was visibly broken and stuck out at an odd angle. My husband had to drive me to Urgent Care because I couldn’t step on the accelerator or brake. It was broken and sprained, the doc said, but not dislocated. If it’s not dislocated, they don’t do anything other than buddy tape it and ask if you want pain meds. No, I didn’t want pain meds. It still hasn’t healed. :ohwell:
Toes are a pain in the butt (not literally :lol:), there's not much you can do but let them heal however they want to heal. Then a re-break makes things go from OK to bad :(
It's not a broken anything but did you ever notice a huge purple, green, and yellow bruise on your leg or arm, and when someone says "what did you do" you don't have a good answer because you have no idea what created that bruise?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lets see...
fractured the same rib twice
fractured my hip
fractured my tailbone
fractured my wrist
broke more than one bone in my foot (at the same time)
broke my leg (and sprained my Achilles tendon at the same time)
cracked my skull open (horse reared and came down on my head)
As the doctor said, "A fracture is still a break, just smaller".
There may be more, I just don't remember right now.