Question of the day - Thursday 16 January

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
We have four tetras in a 10 gallon tank. They pretty much do their own thing, and Dexter jumps on the stand from time to time to terrorize them.

We have toyed with the idea of a dog (we both grew up with dogs), but then we get around dogs and we think...nah...
I'd forgotten how loud dogs are compared to cats...and then the vet bills...food bills...we would have to treat all the cats and the dog for fleas...it would be too much.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We have four tetras in a 10 gallon tank. They pretty much do their own thing, and Dexter jumps on the stand from time to time to terrorize them.

We have toyed with the idea of a dog (we both grew up with dogs), but then we get around dogs and we think...nah...
I'd forgotten how loud dogs are compared to cats...and then the vet bills...food bills...we would have to treat all the cats and the dog for fleas...it would be too much.
[/QUO

Well unfortunately it is true that dog tend to bring in the fleas-I had a horrible experience with the absolute worst flea infestation when first took in stunningly beautiful German Shepherd-so horrible I even had 7 or more flea bites on me! The entire house had to be bombed and every single thing in it washed, scrubbed, dry cleaned, thrown away-I thought the misery could never be overcome, but now the flea experience is just a hideous memory. Still, I learned so much, and now I love this absolutely beautiful creature that my foolish niece-in-law was going to take a gun to because move to Idaho and 75 acre and a mountain did not give her enough room to keep dog!!! Also my spouse was told the dog was not pregnant. After taking her to the vet we found out she was not ill but carrying 3 puppies that must have been "immaculate conceptions"!!! So glad n-i-l is many hundreds of miles away from us!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I heard there are North American raccoons in Japan ever since there was an ill-advised fad of keeping them as pets and a bunch got released. I never saw one when I was there though. I guess they do hunker down when it's especially cold so maybe that's what's going on.

I apparently have an entire family of raccoons on my property. I've never seen one in person; I only know they exist because I put a game camera out to spy on the feral cats. There are at least 5, I don't know how they stay so hidden. I also have lots of possums, but I actually see them every now and then. I don't feed them often enough to consider them "mine". They do eat the cat food pretty regularly though.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh yes I have one giant opossum large as a cat that I do not know where it sleeps-I only saw it once after dog went after it. Its neck was all slathered with dog saliva and it was all curled up. I felt so sick I could not eat breakfast. I left a note on the table for my spouse to please bury it, the dog stayed there for 3 hours. Then I made the dog come inside. I went out an hour later and it was gone!!!:lol::crackup::yess:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, yeah, my mom has a regular possum who will be eating the cat food when she lets the dogs out, then it faints when the dogs attack it (they're old and can't do much damage), so she just picks it up by the tail and puts it over the fence, where it comes to in a few minutes and toddles off. Almost every night, silly possum.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, yeah, my mom has a regular possum who will be eating the cat food when she lets the dogs out, then it faints when the dogs attack it (they're old and can't do much damage), so she just picks it up by the tail and puts it over the fence, where it comes to in a few minutes and toddles off. Almost every night, silly possum.
I think possums are adorable. You can have your raccoons. Give me a possum anytime.