Question of the day - Thursday 15 Oct

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my kitchen cutlery drawer I have an assortment of stainless steel cutlery and, in the cupboard, one white dinner plate all dating back to a shopping spree in 1965 when I first moved into a shared apartment and had to cook for myself. The stuff I bought was from a Woolworth's store, probably in SE London but it could have been in Leeds. An extra white plate often comes in useful and the cutlery is frequently used but only in the kitchen and not on the dining room table. :)

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I pretty much burned down our entire kitchen back in 2000 after an unfortunate fondue incident. So, the oldest thing in our kitchen is the coffe pot. I was covered in soot and my husband made me go to Walmart to get a new coffee pot because he NEEDED his coffee the next day.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have a vintage corelle plate that we use all the time. It's got a green vine boarder. When DH got his first place a bunch of people from his church gave him random things. Like one single plate. :lol:

I have a nut-grinder that you turn a crank handle on. the top is metal and orange and used to have flowers on it. the bottom is a glass jar. I grew up using it an it was passed on to me. But I'm not sure when I used it last; so my answer is the plate.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy a lot of stuff from local auctions so some of the stuff I have I don't actually know how old they are. My toaster is from my grandpa though. He died last year and since I didn't have one, I asked my mom to bring it back with her when she was finished settling his estate. I don't know how old it is, but it is definitely not a new appliance.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a vintage corelle plate that we use all the time. It's got a green vine boarder. When DH got his first place a bunch of people from his church gave him random things. Like one single plate. :lol:

I have a nut-grinder that you turn a crank handle on. the top is metal and orange and used to have flowers on it. the bottom is a glass jar. I grew up using it an it was passed on to me. But I'm not sure when I used it last; so my answer is the plate.
That nut grinder sounds like the same one my mom had when I was growing up.

jeannem

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have a 3-4 quart sauce pan with a wooden handle cover a thick wire. It was my husbands' mothers. The bottom has been flattened numerous times. (Hubby does ALL the cooking) He says it is the only pan to cook popcorn in and make the caramel. We have been married 51 years. His folks were married over 50 years. I bet it was purchased about 1940 when they got married.
j

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
At my parents house I'm pretty sure they have some utensils like a baster and melon baller that they've had since they got married 35 years ago.
Me? Well I bought all new stuff when I moved to my current place 2 years ago.

OH! I just remembered I brought over a mini cupcake maker from when I first moved to Korea 6 years ago! I think it was a couple of years old by that point too? I never use it, though I keep saying I will. They don't really have as many instant muffin and cake mixes here.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found this picture when I was looking for a date that my china was made. It was made in 1974. I bought it around that time. When I moved out of state I left it behind, not knowing what it's future value would be. At the time supermarkets were selling it a piece or setting at a time. Imagine my delight when I started finding pieces at thrift stores where I live now! I now have 8 plates, and four each of all but the serving pieces. This is a little comfort thing from when I was in my hometown. 😂

1602823982460.png

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
A cutting board that my great-grandmother brought with them when they emigrated from what was
then Yugoslavia in the early 1900's. It was used by my grandma, my mother, now me. It's in the shape
of a pig, how apropos, ha!🐖

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
The gas cooking stove I use is about 15 years old. I think that's the oldest thing in the kitchen.

My parents have got my great grandmother's wedding china in their kitchen. It must be well over 100 years old.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Kitchen aide mixer - about 30 years old is the oldest thing I use. I do have Waterford crystal that my husband bought for my MIL when he was stationed in Germany is the early 70s and some sterling silver flatware that my grandmother left me when she passed in the 60s, but those are never used. I am unsure the age of the silver.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
The gas cooking stove I use is about 15 years old. I think that's the oldest thing in the kitchen.

My parents have got my great grandmother's wedding china in their kitchen. It must be well over 100 years old.
What pattern is it?