Question Of The Day - Thursday 15 November

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi everyone :wave3:

Do you make people take their shoes off in your house ? :walk:

In my house... No. I have hard floors all throughout my home. It's easy to clean. So, it does not bother me either way if people leave their shoes on or take them off. :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't either, although I've had people come in and take their shoes off as an automatic action, so apparently there are quite a few people who require this :)

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now that I have my own place, I want people to take their shoes off when they enter, but I also live in a 400 square foot studio apartment, so I probably shouldn't make a big deal about it.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't. Where I live, it's customary for people to automatically take their shoes off in houses. Everyone's floors would get too muddy and slushy in the winter otherwise!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't have a lot of company now that we have (former) feral cats. But yes, we ask people to take their shoes off on the shoe mat thingy by the door.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, we don't since we got rid of the carpeting and replaced it with hard surface, although some people take their shoes anyway- especially when it is snowing.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I don't, but my younger son does. They live in Milwaukee, so there is the snow/slush thing. It's a rule in their house - No shoes in the house. They go around inside in their socks, and they take their shoes off when they come in mine.

I couldn't do it to tell the truth. With my walking problems and one drop foot, I wouldn't dare risk a fall from wearing only socks. But it probably would decrease the carpet cleaning.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No. I thought more of it when my kids were little. I leave it up to people now. I had such an awful time with foot pain last year that taking my shoes off would have meant limping around. I wear shoes in my house 99% of the time. My carpets need replacing anyway too.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
No. We have a mat by the front door, so people can wipe their feet. I don't believe in making people take their shoes off. However, if they want to, I'm not going to say no either. Whatever people want to do to be comfortable in our house is most important to me. (Within reason, you can take your shoes off, but please keep your clothes on!)

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People and guests tend to do it automatically so never had the need - colder country with grimy ground weather and all that. Like the above poster said it is pretty customary. But if they hadn't I would tell them to politely take off their shoes :thumbsup:

The only exception is when people like plumbers, electricians or carpenters come in. At that point they are on the clock, need their shoes for protection, I'm distracted by wanting to fix my household problem and things will need to be cleaned up afterward anyway.

(Even then they themselves tend to be careful :lol:)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I used to make people take their shoes off but having a dog cured me of it.;)

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
In theory yes, but then I always friggen forget to actually ask people to do so.
And I haaaate stepping in wetness in socks. Totally squicks me out, then I get mad even tho I am the dummy who forgot to ask. :p

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I do not. I have mostly hardwood and I was a dancer in my previous life. I got a big splinter deeply imbedded in my foot that caused pain with each step. The doctor and his non-magical scalpel couldn't remove it and it wasn't growing out because well pointy things in the soles of ones feet just get pushed deeper in from walking. I'm always in shoes now.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes, i always ask people to remove their shoes in our home. i make exceptions for repair persons.

and i have 'indoors shoes', and 'outdoors shoes' for myself.
I don't know about where you live, but around here most of the repairmen use disposable shoe covers.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can also provide shoe covers to service people if they don't have their own. Any hardware store has them.

I don't like wearing shoes in the house. I rarely have people over but when I do they usually take their shoes off.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No; we're more relaxed with shoes but of course if they want to take their shoes off, they can. The only situation where we don't allow shoes is on a sofa we have that's quite brightly coloured.