Question Of The Day - Thursday 13 Dec

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I haven't had any bites that draw blood, just ones that leave bruising. Some of them were accidental during play or redirected because the animal was in pain, so they weren't all aggressive. I think the only animals have been cats, dogs, ferret, rat, hamster, goat, goose, fish, parrot, and pigeon. I've gotten nipped a little while hand feeding other animals but I don't really count that as a bite.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been bitten by cats and dogs but the worst bite is that of a rodent. I had a hamster and didn't wash the chicken grease off of my fingers well enough. Went to play with her and she bit down on my thumb so hard that blood was running down my arm. I thought I would have lost the tissue on the tip of my finger.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yup, and many times! I've had a few cat and dog bites (though only one broke the skin), and kicked, bitten by, trodden on and trampled by horses WAY more times than I can begin to remember :rolleyes: That's what comes from spending ever spare minute at riding schools (and later with my own horses) from aged 11 or 12. Literally, I've handled hundreds of horses in my life!

I think the worst horsey kicks were the ones that sent me flying across the yard/stable. I've been very lucky not to get seriously injured! The bites were mostly accidents of the 'mistaking my hand for a carrot' variety, or warning bites when a horse was in pain or on edge. There were a few semi-deliberate kicks, but again, most were either warning shots or from sore or stressy horses. It's happened way less as I've got older and learned to read the finer points of horsey body language (I've studies horse whispering type techniques a lot, so it's much easier to keep myself safe there's days, even with very spooked or anxious horses).

I think I was headbutted, bitten or kicked by a goat too (I was only three at the time, hence the hazy memory), and I've been charged at by horses, sheep, cattle, and even a rather determined pig on a mission to escape :lol:

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a child I've been bitten by my uncle's poodle, by some of my rabbits and by some of our budgies.

As an adolescent I did volunteer farm work during holidays and got bitten by donkeys, rabbits, Guinea pigs, bees, sheep (while pilling them) ... and kicked by goats and pigs.

As an adult I enjoyed love bites from a sea lion pup

130.JPG

and from my sweet Missy

83.JPG

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I was bitten in the butt by 2 of my friend's dogs. They had a staircase
kind of like the one in Gone with the Wind, and one dog came from the left and one from the right while I was in the middle on my way down to the first floor. I was spending the night and was afraid they would bite me again but they didn't.

The next time I was there I got bit again by one of the dogs. After that I was afraid to go there. The parents didn't think it was a big
deal and neither did mine!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Like Columbine Columbine I spent a lot of time with horses when I was a kid. I've been stepped on plenty of times, but I was only ever bitten once. By a horse who didn't like having her girth tightened up (Left a perfect teeth mark shaped bruise on my ribs)

I've been bitten by a couple of dogs. One of my brother's dogs bit me while I was visiting him in Australia. This poor dog had been badly abused by his first owners and would bite you when you tried to put the lead onto his collar if you didn't have "the knack". I obviously didn't.

I've only ever had one bad cat bite and that was from Marley. He was very shy when he was younger and I made the mistake of trying to pick him up to put him in a carrier and take him to be neutered. It was totally my own fault. I should have coaxed him into a trap, as I did with his very feral mum and sister, but he'd been letting me pet him so I thought he might let me pick him up too.

I've been pecked by a chicken too, does that count?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We joke at the shelter that it's a toss-up which causes the most injuries: sharp lids from cans of pet food, or biting/kicking bunnies. We tend to get rabbits with behavioral (or health) problems, so you're much more likely to be hurt by a bunny than by a cat, dog, bird, or rodent.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I've been goat-butted; does that count? Rick's cousin (she's about 10 years younger than me, but we're really close) and I were out walking one afternoon. We went around a corner and a goat came out on the road. As goats go, I guess, he wasn't a very nice guy. He kept head-butting us, taking turns, butting one of us, then the other. I wasn't turning my back to him, so he kept butting me in my stomach. Finally I charged him (Yeah. I charged a goat.) and he turned around and ran back to his yard. I turned and started walking away. And he came running back out, put his head down, and wham! Right in my butt. Finally the guy came out, saw the goat in the road, and yelled, "Nelson! Get back here!" and the goat trotted back to his yard. (Nelson? Seriously?)

I'm my sister's petsitter to her (now only) six cats. When they go away, I go over to feed the kids, make sure they have fresh water, scoop, and spend some time with them. Da-Whisk (he just passed away a couple weeks ago) was their little tuxedo-baby. He wasn't supposed to be in their attic because the two girls live up there and they don't like other cats. I came down from the attic, opened the door and Da-Whisk zoomed up the steps. Oh crap. I tried to pick him up and he latched onto my wrist. And I mean he latched on. The bite wasn't pretty, but I survived. My sister was really worried because he had bitten her a couple times and both times required antibiotics for infections. But I was fine. Thankfully.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, and many times! I've had a few cat and dog bites (though only one broke the skin), and kicked, bitten by, trodden on and trampled by horses WAY more times than I can begin to remember :rolleyes: That's what comes from spending ever spare minute at riding schools (and later with my own horses) from aged 11 or 12. Literally, I've handled hundreds of horses in my life!

I think the worst horsey kicks were the ones that sent me flying across the yard/stable. I've been very lucky not to get seriously injured! The bites were mostly accidents of the 'mistaking my hand for a carrot' variety, or warning bites when a horse was in pain or on edge. There were a few semi-deliberate kicks, but again, most were either warning shots or from sore or stressy horses. It's happened way less as I've got older and learned to read the finer points of horsey body language (I've studies horse whispering type techniques a lot, so it's much easier to keep myself safe there's days, even with very spooked or anxious horses).

I think I was headbutted, bitten or kicked by a goat too (I was only three at the time, hence the hazy memory), and I've been charged at by horses, sheep, cattle, and even a rather determined pig on a mission to escape :lol:
I know how you feel. I have had more injuries than I listed. And I would say, for me personally, about 50-75% of them were my fault. I used to train horses, regularly. With me, I would stupidly let my mind wander, or lose concentration somehow and BOOM, I would get hurt every time.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats don't really bite, it's their claws that do the damage.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been bitten by doggies and budgies :lol:

As for general booboos I have been kicked, slammed against a wall once, stepped on and kicked off by horses before (Equestrian life!) also have been scratched by a bunny.