Question of the day - Thursday 13 August

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hey everyone :)

Do you have any food allergies or intolerances ? :ohwell:

I have an allergy to chocolate :sniffle: It only started last year, I’d eaten chocolate fine up until then. I started getting really itchy rashes on my arms and legs. Took a while to realise it was a food allergy, then what food was causing it. I tried different varieties, hoping i was just one type like white or dark. But, nope. I had some allergy tests done and it turned out it was cocoa - so it was all chocolate, which is really annoying :sigh:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say no, except my tongue does swell a bit if I eat kiwi...weirdest allergy ever if I do have one to it. And I ate scallops for the first time a little over 10 years ago and ended up with hives several hours later...not sure if it was connected but I didn't fancy them so I just don't eat them...just in case. I'm fine eating shrimp though...

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No allergies or intolerances but I am a major picky eater so if I would actually eat 90% of what is out in the world, I might have some.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No allergies, but I am very intolerant when it comes to some foods- like liver, clams, mushrooms, or zucchini. I hate all of them, and more besides.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No known allergies, but am definitely a bit picky!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pineapple makes my throat feel tight and itchy. I can tolerate a small amount of onion but too much upsets my stomach and sometimes I break out in hives. Farro upsets my stomach.

I have none, although I do have texture issues.
Same. Couscous is basically wet gritty sand :barfgreen::nervous:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None that I know of. A couple years ago while on vacation in Florida I broke out in hives (never had them before! Not fun!) the night after eating crabcakes for dinner, but I had done several other things that day---went to the beach, swam in the ocean, got bug bites, etc.---so I can't guarantee it was the crabcakes. I don't normally eat shellfish (ew, sea bugs) because I don't like the texture, and it's not like crabcakes are big in South Dakota, lol, so I haven't been able to test it out. I did have sushi with crab in it with no reaction, but it might have been fake crab, or it might not have been enough to trigger the allergy.

I also have skin reactions to various fruit juices. They're fine in my mouth but if the juice gets on my face or arms I get a rash.

And texture issues, yep. I can't eat something with a rubbery texture, and mushy texture makes me gag (pudding, cooked squash, mashed potatoes, etc.). I'll still eat mushy foods but I have to be careful to keep them in the front of my mouth until I swallow.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah just texture issues for me. No mushrooms or meat that isn't minced/ground.
I probably have a slight dairy and gluten intolerance but nothing that would make me give up pizza, for instance, but enough for me to pick almond milk over dairy milk these days.

Interestingly, while I don't have a problem with chickpeas, almost every time I've had falafel I've gotten ill. Enough for me to actively avoid it, which doesn't make sense given that I can eat chickpeas and hummus just fine!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! You guys all make me feel better about being a texture person! I am not alone! Lol besides some texture I have real problems eating Tomatoes, onion or garlic. In the past year I have gained a family tendency to react to gluten too. Aaaarrrgh. One of my favorite things to do is to make and eat homemade bread! At least I can still enjoy making it. My neighbors are loving me lately. :lol:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No food allergies. I've gotten sick to my stomach when I've had almond milk though and it continuously happened with different ones, so maybe there's something in there that my body didn't like. I haven't ever gotten tested for anything though.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! You guys all make me feel better about being a texture person! I am not alone! Lol besides some texture I have real problems eating Tomatoes, onion or garlic. In the past year I have gained a family tendency to react to gluten too. Aaaarrrgh. One of my favorite things to do is to make and eat homemade bread! At least I can still enjoy making it. My neighbors are loving me lately. :lol:
I didn't know you were a fellow tomato hater!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I can’t drink beer without getting very extreme stomach pain. It started about eight years ago when we were living in Colorado. Sooo many good craft beers. :sigh: The last time was at a neighborhood picnic. I had half a glass of beer and had to leave the party to go home and lie down. I gave up after that. I was never a big beer drinker, but I did enjoy a cold craft beer on a hot summer day. I have no idea what the trigger is. It’s never happened with anything else.