Question of the day - Thursday 13 August

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can’t drink beer without getting very extreme stomach pain. It started about eight years ago when we were living in Colorado. Sooo many good craft beers. :sigh: The last time was at a neighborhood picnic. I had half a glass of beer and had to leave the party to go home and lie down. I gave up after that. I was never a big beer drinker, but I did enjoy a cold craft beer on a hot summer day. I have no idea what the trigger is. It’s never happened with anything else.
Now that you mentioned beer, I am reminded that I am allergic to dark colored liquors, like bourbon. While drinking them, my nose swells up so I can't breathe, and then later, I break out in hives. The only thing that alleviates this is benadryl. So that's a bona fide allergy. Needless to say, I don't drink them.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
No allergies. neely neely , I hate cilantro also, it's like having soapy metal dirt. Jcatbird Jcatbird , I can't imagine living without tomatoes, garlic, and onion.
Someone told me once that cottage cheese on a baked potato is just like having sour cream. I had to spit it out. Lordy the texture gagged me.
When I was little my parents made me eat potato soup against my wished (it tasted awful) and it all came back up, I haven't touched it since, but I love clam chowder!

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Peanuts, tomatoes, strawberries, pineapple, cucumbers, uncooked potatoes (I cannot eat them--Who would want to?--but peeling them makes my eyes itch and my nose run.) raw parsnips (same thing with potatoes), lemongrass, eggplant, tomatillos, and zucchini. Since I have cibophobia, which is a phobia of certain foods, I am likely allergic to more foods according to my doctor because many are connected to each other and certain types of pollen. They do not do individual tests for all of them, so it is more of a check and see. Thankfully, my phobia keels me safe! Haha! I sadly developed an allergy to cucumbers and zucchini a few years ago. My ragweed allergy also became worse around the same time. They are connected, apparently. (It is also connected to banana and certain melons. I would never touch any of those things let alone eat any, so I am safe!) My reactions range from runny nose and itchy eyes to sores that look like burns to hives to anaphylaxis. Most I can avoid, but tomatoes are so many things! I will see something that looks good only to check the ingredients and see that it has tomato paste or powder in it.

I am worried about becoming allergic to bell peppers, though, because of other food allergies that I already have. That would be very sad for me!

Not food allergies or sensitivities, but my cibophobia covers a lot of foods, especially fruits. There are certain ones that I cannot even look at a picture of or think about. Now I am thinking about it and making myself sick.

Last edited:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not consider this an allergy. I love chocolate but if I have
too much of it in liquid form, my intestines act up.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I would say no, except my tongue does swell a bit if I eat kiwi...weirdest allergy ever if I do have one to it.
Nah, that's actually quite common, in Japan at least. Lots of people I know are allergic to kiwi

I'm allergic to shitake mushrooms, but that's about all

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG... YES.... :(
Diagnosed, just as the pandemic was hitting the US.

Intolerance to both lactose and fructose! I knew about the lactose, but the fructose was a big surprise.

I also was diagnosed with IBD... so that means many, many, restrictions on the FODMAP diet: no onions, garlic, High Fructose Corn syrup, no fruits with pits (think summer fruits), limited sweet potatoes, no peas, no dairy, wheat.... in addition to another list of foods to avoid, for another issue....

No: eggs, dairy, shellfish, limited fish, coffee, nuts, wheat, onion, garlic, soy, honey....

Very limited diet, since the end of March.

yuck!

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No allergies that I know of, but I can't stand the texture of stewed Tomatoes, and I can't stand the taste of Onions or black Licorice.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No allergies that I know of, but I can't stand the texture of stewed Tomatoes, and I can't stand the taste of Onions or black Licorice.
I loooove black licorice!

I was told I couldn't eat it during pregnancy, though. :sigh: