Question of the Day: Thurs. Feb.24

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning, I'm sorry for having missed Tues. question, I've been battling some health issues.

Todays question is related to sleep and age.

If you wouldn't mind, what is your age (even a range like 30-40, 50+, etc) and how much sleep do you need per night? Do you find it has decreased the older you got?

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm 24 and I can operate on as little as 4 hours a night I try to get between 6-8

I've been using an app on my phone to monitor my sleep patterns I'm in sleep debt of 17hours that's from staring it just over a week ago

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm 56 and if I don't soon get some decent sleep, I don't know what I'm going to do. I posted about issues with Bootser about a week ago in the Behavior section. I would say I might get about 4 hours of sleep a night....maybe.

It's really wearing me down.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got 4 - 8 hours of sleep a night as a teen and in my 20s. I was fine getting little sleep during the week and sleeping late on weekends.

Late 20s through mid-30s, I only needed like 4-6. Since then, I NEED 8. I get 4-6. I just turned 48.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
28 and my need for sleep in one stretch (per night or day) has increased. I usually need 8-9 hours lately and some days I'm fatigued even with 10 hours. How much of this is directly related to my poor health and how much to my age, I don't know.
When I was younger I could function on 4-6 ususally, but then I had bouts of sleeping 12-15 hours a day and could barely stay awake in school.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am 66 years old and I have sleep issues. If I wake up during the early morning to use the bathroom, it takes me literally hours before I fall back to sleep again. I do wind up getting enough sleep since then I just get up late but my sleep is broken up almost every night and that's tough to get used to.
I am retired so I don't need to get up at a certain time or I would really be in trouble and fall asleep at work. I very rarely sleep solid the whole night. Of course Autumn doesn't help either.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm 25 and, I try to get at least 8-10 hours of sleep a night. (I'm still healing up from the heart procedure and complications I had back in August, so my body definitely needs more sleep now than it used to. Sometimes if I'm able to grab a power nap during the day, I do that as well if I'm feeling weak.)

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
22, my need for sleep has increased in the past two years. As a teenager I could be fine on 3 hours of sleep or even no sleep at all, I could function for a day or so until I finally crash.
But, now if I don't get at least 5 hours of sleep I just feel like I can't do anything at all and I fall asleep whatever im doing...

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm 37 and I get about 6-7 hours per night. It's hard to say if that's more or less than when I was younger because my sleep patterns were so strange. I would typically come home from school, eat dinner, then go to bed, wake up around midnight and do homework for a few hours, and go back to sleep for a couple more hours before school.

Now I've learned that breaking my sleep up like that isn't good for me. I also find that I do better when I stay on a set schedule. I'm better off getting 6 hours a night than I am getting 6 hours one night and 8 the next. Actually having the discipline to maintain that schedule is something I still haven't fully mastered yet.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will be 59 in April. I go to bed at 8 and am up at 3am. So that's 7. I have gotten along with that most all my life. Seven hours, not getting up at 3!

I like to sleep, but when I wake up, I get up. sometimes I wish I could roll over and go back, but it usually ends with getting up.

Then the kitties hear me and want food......what have I started?

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am 25 years old.. I get atleast 8 hours of sleep or more on my days off at night.. days I work I don't get that much.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am 52, and suffer from insomnia. I need at least 8 hours a night, but seldom get more than 3 or 4. My doctor gave me something to help me sleep, but it gives me terrible nightmares. Sometimes I fall asleep in my cab, and my best friend hates it. With all the health problems I have been having, she is afraid something has happened to me if I don't answer my radio immediately. My coworkers always check on me when they pull up on the stand.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am 65. I don't sleep as many hours as I did when I was younger. I used to sleep 8-9 hours a night. Now I sleep 6 to 7. It is not enough and I am tired a lot.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My need for sleep has stayed constant, 10 hours is good for me. I also love naps if the opportunity arises.