Question of the Day: Thurs. Dec.8th 2011

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a couple hours early in my part of the world, but, I have an appointment in the morning and didn't want to forget to post.

Todays question:

Do you meet ppl off the Internet? I mean, friends, not online dating.

are you comfortable doing this?

how far away from you did a person live who came to visit you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup I do. I don't have a problem meeting someone I know off the Internet.

I do make sure to meet in a public place, moreso if I do not know the person well.

I do truly believe that Internet ppl are the same as ppl in real life, I value the friendship and am honest about myself. I have found most ppl I have met are the same way, they are in person as they are online.

I think it was originally through a fish msgboard I met a really nice woman from New Zealand. We were friends for several years, and her husband at the time was involved with MENSA. At one point he did a trip basically around the world.... Although he wasn't coming to Canada, he was coming to the US and managed to come to Canada. My friend and her son were able to come on the trip as well. I invited the family to stay at my home, we had known each other very well...she knows things about me that most ppl dont. We were very comfortable around each other and I had no problems opening my home to these 3 ppl I had never met in person before.

I picked them up from the Airport and they stayed Thurs till Monday, and it was awesome. As luck would have it, it was a reptile expo weekend so we left the boys at home and just me and her went to the expo... It was great.

There are many many ppl on this board alone that I would love to meet. I'd like to plan an US/Canada trip, and visit so many ppl. I think I could find someone in each US state to visit.

There is one person, well 2, that I am bound and bent to meet at some point. That would be Laurie, she is my bestest friend in the whole world and I love her dearly. I am determined to either maker there or have her here sometime. :)

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have met several people from internet clubs. It was several years ago, but the first time I traveled to San Antonio with a girl and her DH that I met online. Her mom was going to babysit for her so she picked me up and we traveled to her daughter's house. Then we drove to Texas. We stayed with another girl that I met online and her family. We had so much fun as there was several other people from the same club.

The other time I went to Las Vegas with a local girl to meet some online friends. I shared a hotel room with one of the girls I met online. I had a blast there too. I was a Chat Host for one of the sites on AOL at the time and it was one of their get togethers.

The only problem I ever had is with one guy who frequented the chatroom. He had something against me because I kicked him out of the room a few times and muzzled him (he was not able to chat). He threatened to "get me" at the get together. I told a few of the higher ups, and they kept an eye out for me. The guy never showed up.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only people I have ever "met" online are on this site. I would be very happy to meet some TCS people. I have met Robin :hugs: already because she lives very close to me. We have become fast friends and get together when we can. I would love to meet a few people here from TCS, one in particular :D :D. And it happens to be Laurie :sun: too, Chris. :wavey: and one day we will meet, that is for sure :clap: :heart3: Other than TCS, I don't think I would want to meet people online. I am not on any other sites anyway, TCS takes up all of my time :D

Last edited:

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I met some people from a game I play online. Always had other people there to be safe but a few people came here, to NS from various states and one person flew over from England, twice. 

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to meet anyone from TCS in person yet, but I would love to!

There were two online people I met in person. The first one was a guy in Yahoo chat. I wasn't trying to "date" anyone (as in online dating) but I will admit is was in adult chap. Anyway, we hit it off. We talked and emailed for a few months and wanted to meet. Did I mention he lived in Guam? He flew from Guam to  MD to meet me. I picked him up Christmas night. He spent a week with my family then I went down to NC to meet his family. He flew back to Guam in mid Jan and the next week I had a ticket to Guam. I moved there Feb. 8th and was there for 4 years. Obviously it didn't work out but we parted on good terms.

The second was also a guy I met in chat. I was back in the states and he lived in London, ON so I flew up to meet him. He was a VERY nice guy and I spent 5 days with him. Unfortunately due to personal obligations (mom diagnosed with cancer) we only had an online friendship after that and even that kind of died. I will always be grateful to him for helping though hard times and letting me vent when ever I needed it.

I would love to meet people here in r/l but I will admit I would be VERY nervous! I'm basically a wallflower when it comes to get-to-gathers 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've met a few TCSers in real life; but that's it.  We met at a restaurant and then visited Heather's house so we got to meet her kitties.  It was a ton of fun! 

Other than that I haven't met anyone in "real" life.  But there are some friends I've made online that feel like real friends.  I've spoken to Tracy on the phone before.  We keep trying to schedule another call; it just hasn't happend yet.

x2006nkg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've never met anyone from TCS, but I've met people from other sites. When I lived in Korea, there were a various groups directed to foreigners in Korea, so I met a few people on there, some which became good friends. I was comfortable doing this, as we met in a public place. I also met a few people from an online Nova Scotia fitness group. For everyone I've met from online, the furthest traveling distance was just a few hours. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to meet anyone from TCS in person yet, but I would love to!

I would love to meet people here in r/l but I will admit I would be VERY nervous! I'm basically a wallflower when it comes to get-to-gathers 
I want my drink by the mountains :)

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never met anyone from TCS yet, but I'm good friends with someone who lives in London, Ontario, about 2000 Km away (or 2400 if you drive).  I met her for the first time just a few years ago.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pam and I live like fifteen minutes from each other. She's on one side of the river and I am on the other. We met up at the Dunkin Donuts in between our houses. It was a TON of fun even grumpy butt df had a great time.

I have a very great friend on another forum who is overseas with her dh right now but when they come back to the states we are going to try to meet up.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I post on another cat board.....we've been together for years now; there aren't many of us left anymore, so it's a smallish board now.  Back in 2001, I think it was, Rick and I held a large get-together at our house for almost 30 people from that board. We had a blast. A woman came from California; we met her at the Harrisburg airport and brought her to the house (that was probably the farthest distance, but there were people from OK, TX, IA, etc.). I've met online friends from all over the US. My two closest internet friends are both out-of-state; one lives in CT (we visit with her every fall) and the other now lives in TX....she used to live in NY, which made it nice to spend weekends with her from time to time; she and I would get together and spend hours on the computer, working on graphics and taking all kinds of graphics classes.

We've had other get-togethers on a smaller scale since then, too. Rick and I also get to Chicago every few years and I always hook-up with friends from that area then, too. The last time we were in Chicago, a friend drove down from WI and spent the day with my Chicago GF and me....we baked some bread, then went to The Spice House and Whole Foods. What fun we had! We had the whole day together, just to chat and spend time with each other. The phone is wonderful and I enjoy talking to people. But being together with them can be such fun.

Our love of cats brought us together in the beginning, but our love for each other has kept us together now, if that makes any sense. I am so lucky to have such wonderful friends.

Like Tyler said, she and I live so close it's amazing....who would have thought that you would meet somebody on a large board such as this and it turns out that you only live about 15 minutes away from each other??! What are the odds?? We were down at Dunkin' Donuts and I had a ball talking with them. And I'm ready to do it again! (I'll get to meet Baby Bean in person, too!
 )

Last edited:

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I met a lady on TCS who had a small, private, bird rehab at her home.  I'd found a baby cardinal and was at a loss as to how to care for it.  I was told by every single group and vet I contacted that it was illegal for me to have a cardinal in my possession.  No one seemed to care that she was injured and needed help.  I posted here, hoping someone would give me an idea as to what to do.  A lovely lady from a Chicago suburb answered my post and we eventually met halfway so she could take the bird to her home.  She was the answer to my prayers, and saved that little bird's life.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I post on another cat board.....we've been together for years now; there aren't many of us left anymore, so it's a smallish board now.  Back in 2001, I think it was, Rick and I held a large get-together at our house for almost 30 people from that board. We had a blast. A woman came from California; we met her at the Harrisburg airport and brought her to the house (that was probably the farthest distance, but there were people from OK, TX, IA, etc.). I've met online friends from all over the US. My two closest internet friends are both out-of-state; one lives in CT (we visit with her every fall) and the other now lives in TX....she used to live in NY, which made it nice to spend weekends with her from time to time; she and I would get together and spend hours on the computer, working on graphics and taking all kinds of graphics classes.

We've had other get-togethers on a smaller scale since then, too. Rick and I also get to Chicago every few years and I always hook-up with friends from that area then, too. The last time we were in Chicago, a friend drove down from WI and spent the day with my Chicago GF and me....we baked some bread, then went to The Spice House and Whole Foods. What fun we had! We had the whole day together, just to chat and spend time with each other. The phone is wonderful and I enjoy talking to people. But being together with them can be such fun.

Our love of cats brought us together in the beginning, but our love for each other has kept us together now, if that makes any sense. I am so lucky to have such wonderful friends.

Like Tyler said, she and I live so close it's amazing....who would have thought that you would meet somebody on a large board such as this and it turns out that you only live about 15 minutes away from each other??! What are the odds?? We were down at Dunkin' Donuts and I had a ball talking with them. And I'm ready to do it again! (I'll get to meet Baby Bean in person, too! :)  )
I think it would be SOO much fun to have a get-together of the wonderful people here on TCS. How much fun that would be if we could someday plan something like that :clap::clap:.

I also, as already mentioned :lol3:, met Robin on this board. She lives 20 minutes away from me and we do get together about once a month. I know - what are the odds of that :D :D We both have met eachother's cat's and I will be going to meet her new foster boy, Constantine next week. Pretty special :nod: :happy3:

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I met loads of people through Car forums I used to be on 

I havent met anyone from here I could though because Susan (Rosiemac) doesnt live that far from me but havent..... yet LOL!

There is a few I would just love to meet!

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only met two people from a chat room. Oddly, it was that now defunct chatroom that put me back in touch with one of my dearest friends, and we chatted every day for several years, and he stopped around to visit a couple of days before he passed away. In my case, it is more of re-meeting people I knew long before the internet was invented, long before days of computers that didnt take up a whole large building.

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've met Caprice from here at TCS, and a gentleman who lives in our town on Facebook. I have several, especially here, that I'd love to meet, though!