Question of the Day, Sunday the 9th of May, 2021

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My grandmothers were interesting, lol.

My dad's mom was definitely on the spectrum. Of course back then, for people who had money, they just called it "eccentric" :tongue: . My dad doesn't tell stories about his childhood so I don't know what she like then, just when I knew her. I know she never cooked or cleaned though; they had a maid for that. After my grandpa died her brother (who is probably gay but that wasn't spoken of. His "best friend" was around a lot though) moved in and he took care of the house and car. She wasn't allowed to smoke in the rest of the house so she had a back room with a TV and a couch and she spent most of her day sitting back there chain-smoking and playing Tetris on her Gameboy. She had scheduled times to go sit out on the porch for fresh air and sun, coordinated with TV shows she didn't care for. She enjoyed watching QVC but I don't think she ever ordered anything (unless her brother sent it all back, idk. There were no QVC items in the house though). She fussed over her cats a lot; their food and water had to be prepared just right. The female cat would ONLY drink from a Dixie cup filled to the very top. She had a different restaurant for every night of the week, and she'd get mad if her regular waiter/waitress wasn't there, or if, god forbid, someone else was sitting at HER table. She'd wait for her table if she had to. She had a strict daily schedule for her afternoons before dinner: the hairdresser one day, her friend's house the next, the bookstore the next, etc. I really wonder how she got by being a Captain's wife back in the '50s, with the social expectations, but she drank a lot back then so that's probably how.

My mom's mom was a real fireball. She was in the WAC during WWII and was an Admiral's secretary after the war, until she got pregnant. She said the Admiral cried when she told him she was pregnant, because women weren't allowed to stay in the military after they had kids back then, and she basically ran his office, so he depended on her a lot, and liked her too, apparently. I think if it was up to her she never would have gotten married or had kids. She hated my grandpa and didn't care for children, and was fairly vocal about it. But that's what was socially expected of her, so she did. She had 6 kids but didn't raise them after the first 4 years or so when they moved overseas where domestic help was cheap and easy to find, so the "maid" raised the rest of the kids, and cooked and cleaned. She was a government official's secretary after they made her get out of the military, worked 50 hours a week and retreated to her bedroom with "a migraine" after work and on weekends. Probably just didn't want to deal with the kids. She kept saying she was going to divorce my grandpa but never did. She had good reason to though; he was a jerk. After she retired she managed the books for several different ladies' clubs, like the Rebekahs and the Eastern Star, etc. Always busy, always social. She also had a sharp tongue and you always knew what she thought of you or any given situation.

But I never had grandmas who cooked/baked and were cuddly and sweet or anything.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
I know I get my sense of humor from my parents and here's why.
As many of you know, I do not have a sense of taste. It went away about 7 years ago. What most of you don't know, is that after so many tests and exams, being poked and prodded to find out why, there was a point when I was suspected of having a brain tumor at the age of 30. That's not something any parent wants to hear about their child. So, my mom and dad were obviously worried and off I went to have a bunch of scans of my brain done to find out if that's what was going on. I ended up getting the scans done and was called back to the doctor's office about a week after to go over the results.
At this point, I had found out the results of the scans and they have me a regular 8.5" x11" sheet of paper with 6 images of the scans printed on one side. I had planned on going to lunch with my parents that afternoon so I drove to their place. As I walked through the door and held up the piece of paper with my brain's images on it (mind you, they still think that a brain tumor is possible), I said "it's not a tumor". Not a split second later my dad says "Hey! You DO have a brain!" Which my mom follows with "I bet those pictures are actual size!" 😑
Nothing says family to me like finding out your son doesn't have a brain tumor and then immediately making fun of him. Lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
My grandmothers were interesting, lol.

My dad's mom was definitely on the spectrum. Of course back then, for people who had money, they just called it "eccentric" :tongue: . My dad doesn't tell stories about his childhood so I don't know what she like then, just when I knew her. I know she never cooked or cleaned though; they had a maid for that. After my grandpa died her brother (who is probably gay but that wasn't spoken of. His "best friend" was around a lot though) moved in and he took care of the house and car. She wasn't allowed to smoke in the rest of the house so she had a back room with a TV and a couch and she spent most of her day sitting back there chain-smoking and playing Tetris on her Gameboy. She had scheduled times to go sit out on the porch for fresh air and sun, coordinated with TV shows she didn't care for. She enjoyed watching QVC but I don't think she ever ordered anything (unless her brother sent it all back, idk. There were no QVC items in the house though). She fussed over her cats a lot; their food and water had to be prepared just right. The female cat would ONLY drink from a Dixie cup filled to the very top. She had a different restaurant for every night of the week, and she'd get mad if her regular waiter/waitress wasn't there, or if, god forbid, someone else was sitting at HER table. She'd wait for her table if she had to. She had a strict daily schedule for her afternoons before dinner: the hairdresser one day, her friend's house the next, the bookstore the next, etc. I really wonder how she got by being a Captain's wife back in the '50s, with the social expectations, but she drank a lot back then so that's probably how.

My mom's mom was a real fireball. She was in the WAC during WWII and was an Admiral's secretary after the war, until she got pregnant. She said the Admiral cried when she told him she was pregnant, because women weren't allowed to stay in the military after they had kids back then, and she basically ran his office, so he depended on her a lot, and liked her too, apparently. I think if it was up to her she never would have gotten married or had kids. She hated my grandpa and didn't care for children, and was fairly vocal about it. But that's what was socially expected of her, so she did. She had 6 kids but didn't raise them after the first 4 years or so when they moved overseas where domestic help was cheap and easy to find, so the "maid" raised the rest of the kids, and cooked and cleaned. She was a government official's secretary after they made her get out of the military, worked 50 hours a week and retreated to her bedroom with "a migraine" after work and on weekends. Probably just didn't want to deal with the kids. She kept saying she was going to divorce my grandpa but never did. She had good reason to though; he was a jerk. After she retired she managed the books for several different ladies' clubs, like the Rebekahs and the Eastern Star, etc. Always busy, always social. She also had a sharp tongue and you always knew what she thought of you or any given situation.

But I never had grandmas who cooked/baked and were cuddly and sweet or anything.
You had very interesting grandmothers!! I love how the Dixie cup had to be just so, ha!!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
One year during apple season, I did my usual buying-a-ton-of-apples thing. Mom and Rick's mom came down for the day. I put stuff in the crock pot for dinner. Got my pie crust crumbs ready the night before. And we spent the day making apple pies. It was hilarious, the three of us in the kitchen. After we were finished, and I forgot how many pies we had, the guys all came home from work and came down here for dinner. It was a busy day and a long day, but it was also a lot of fun. Believe me, by the end of that day, I could put a pie together from scratch with no trouble at all!

You all probably know the story behind the Tacky White Tree at Christmas. My mom always had a white tree with blue balls at Christmas. I thought it was the tackiest thing ever. Well, one time we were coming back from visiting with our kids and we passed a Home Depot. It was Christmas time and we stopped in. And there it was: the Tacky White Tree. Got it into Clarence, to this day, I don't know how, but that car can be packed to the gills. Got it home and did it in white lights and blue balls. And it was in the kitchen for Thanksgiving. Mom walked into the kitchen and the look on her face! I can live to be 100 years old and I will never forget that smile. And that's why we have a Tacky White Tree, decorated with blue balls.

When I was young, I lived with my grandmother during the summers. I can remember waking up in the morning and smelling the most incredible scents! Bread baking, cookies baking, cinnamon flop (it's like a coffee cake), pretty much every morning. It's what she did. She gardened and she baked. I'd come down the steps and walk out to the kitchen and there she was, rolling out dough with finished cookies cooling on the table. And she'd sit me down with a mug of milk and some cookies. She wanted to teach me how to bake, but I wasn't interested back then. And I'm so sorry.