Question of the Day, Sunday the 2nd of February, 2020

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and Happy Sunday!!

I was pondering this yesterday. February is my least favorite month. I would love to have a second home close by, nothing fancy, just a place for a mini holiday or weekend.

I would like a small cottage on Lake Erie. It's only about an hour or so from my house and the view is
wonderful. I would decorate in Mission style furniture, lots of pretty colorful rugs. Everything would be comfortable and cozy.

How about you? What would you like as a second home?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I can see why having a second home might seem like a good idea, but I live in a place with dozens of abandoned holiday cottages, so I guess it's not it's cracked up to be.

If you have a second home you're pretty much forced to spend every long weekend and vacation in the same place. You'd want to get the most out of having it, so wouldn't bother going anywhere else. With so many other interesting places to visit that would get boring.

Homes need a lot of up keep. The people I know around here who only use their holiday cottage for weekends in the summer complain about how much hard work it is. They spend most of their time here looking after the house. There is always grass to cut or gardens to weed or broken tree branches to clear away, as well as all the other house work. The reason so many houses around here are derelict is that the owners are too elderly to come and take care of them any more.

I'd rather have a camper van or caravan I could stay in and go to a different place every time. Something like this would be nice.

1580639187657.png

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I can see why having a second home might seem like a good idea, but I live in a place with dozens of abandoned holiday cottages, so I guess it's not it's cracked up to be.

If you have a second home you're pretty much forced to spend every long weekend and vacation in the same place. You'd want to get the most out of having it, so wouldn't bother going anywhere else. With so many other interesting places to visit that would get boring.

Homes need a lot of up keep. The people I know around here who only use their holiday cottage for weekends in the summer complain about how much hard work it is. They spend most of their time here looking after the house. There is always grass to cut or gardens to weed or broken tree branches to clear away, as well as all the other house work. The reason so many houses around here are derelict is that the owners are too elderly to come and take care of them any more.

I'd rather have a camper van or caravan I could stay in and go to a different place every time. Something like this would be nice.

View attachment 320621
That camper is adorable!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A hideaway near a beach where the weather is warm so I could get away from all this rain we've been having for the past couple of months. I wouldnt want to own it, dont want the responsibility of a second home, just be able to use it now and again.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband and I like to go camping, but one day we would like to have a cottage so we don't have to keep with all the gear and packing and unpacking, the set up and take down...The cottage would be far enough away that if feels like we
are getting away, but close enough that we could go on the weekends. This way we could also bring our kitties with us.
Just a nice cozy cottage, a log cabin would be fantastic, on one of the many lakes nearby.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Assuming that money isn't an object, I would like a log cabin- 3 or 4 rooms- in the mountains with no nearby neighbors, and high up to catch the breezes. There would be an enclosure with plenty of perches for the cats, partially mesh and partially solid overhead cover against sun or rain, with a door for them into the cabin. Yeah, I think we could manage with that.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in Minnesota many people have lake cabins “Up North” where they spend weekends all summer. But I wouldn’t want all that upkeep and I go to a lake I love every morning all summer long. A timeshare somewhere on the east coast where I could spend a few weeks in the fall and winter would be great.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I would rather have an RV instead of a second home. That way I could take the pets without having them stressed out and we wouldn't be limited in where we could go in the country (not that I am a traveler!).My brother in law and sister in law did this when they retired until his health got to bad. Then they parked it near their kids and lived in the RV.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I probably wouldn't want to keep up with a second home. The closest place here for a peaceful quiet getaway is Hocking Hills. They have everything from campsites to barebones rustic cabins to nice cabins that are more like log homes to Bed and Breakfasts to budget hotels and nicer hotels.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I was a kid my grandparents and my great aunt and uncle jointly owned a small place in the mountains. It was only an hour from home but it felt a world away. We had a blast and packed it out on holidays. It wasn’t fancy at all and we had to use an outhouse. Us kids were all over the place and in the woods. We’d find wild raspberries, swim in a nearby lake, hike trails or go into the closest town for ice cream. We found sticks to toast marshmallows. Those are some of my best memories. So that’s what I would want; something in the mountains. With electric and indoor plumbing; but not necessarily fancy.

I wouldn’t mind a beach home; as long as it isn’t in too crowded of an area. I do love beach walking. 🏖