Question of the Day, Sunday the 26th of January, 2020

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and Happy Sunday!!

So, I was pondering songs that helped me through rough times and there are so many.
While I was going through the divorce, Alanis Morrissette's Jagged Little Pill CD was something I listened to often. Hand in My Pocket with its yeah, I'm going through a rough time but I'm
going to be ok theme was really amazing for recovery and I still listen to it. Also You Oughta Know, possibly one of the best break-up songs ever, IMO.

So what about you? Are their songs that have inspired or helped you?

(By the way, how was that dinner party for your boss? Did you get the promotion? :lol: ;)

(You Oughta Know Has the word expletive in it but you can watch it on YOUTube)

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
It's an old song, ALONE AGAIN by Gilbert O' Sullivan.

I was in Tokyo when I learned of a beloved aunt's death. She was very close to me. And this song was playing somewhere:

...To think that only yesterday I was cheerful bright and gay
Looking forward to who would't do
The role I was about to play.
But as if to knock me down, reality came around
and without so much as a mere touch
Cut me into pieces. Leaving me to doubt
Talk about God in His mercy
Who if He really does exist
Why did he desert me..

That song made me cry buckets, but also helped me because I knew that as long as I still could cry, I was still capable of being a human being.

Until now when I hear that song, it hits me. Always does.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It took a couple of years and a few surgeries to get me able to (kind of) walk after domestic violence left me disabled. Up until the last surgery, I really thought I might be able to go back to my normal way of functioning. The year I found out that this was as good as I was going to ever be again, the song Titanium came out. It reminded me that I am a survivor. My ex-husband meant to kill me more than once. I am still alive and happier than I ever imagined I could be.

I know that there is a lip-synch challenge entry by a Georgia police station of the song that is pretty moving, but I am not posting it for two reasons. One, it would need a trigger warning. Two, it makes me feel kind of angry because the care shown by the police officers in the video is far from what I experience. Instead, it is just the lyrics and the music.

"This Is Me" is my "Stop feeling sorry for yourself" song.

"Defying Gravity" is my "theme" song, though. Sometimes I need it to remind myself who I truly am.
When the musical came out, my friend came back from seeing it and told me that I am Elphaba. Then it sort of spread and friends started calling me Elphie. Years later, when my husband first heard someone call me Elphie, way back when he and I were just becoming friends, he read the book and got the CD. From then until now, 9 times out of 10, he will call me Elphaba rather than my actual name. If you mix the book Elphaba and the musical Elphaba (minus the beautiful voice!), I must concede that there are similarities, even beyond the whole witchcraft thing.

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I dont have a song that helps me, all the appropriate ones make me cry but when my marriage was coming to an end I played Road to Hell by Chris Rea over and over again. My friend was also in the same position as me and her song was I dont want to fight anymore by Tina Turner.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know, I'm nothing if predictable, but Bon Jovi's It's My Life came out around the same time I was feeling down about being laid off from a company I'd been with many years, and the lyrics really helped me feel better about things.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's an old song, ALONE AGAIN by Gilbert O' Sullivan.

I was in Tokyo when I learned of a beloved aunt's death. She was very close to me. And this song was playing somewhere:

...To think that only yesterday I was cheerful bright and gay
Looking forward to who would't do
The role I was about to play.
But as if to knock me down, reality came around
and without so much as a mere touch
Cut me into pieces. Leaving me to doubt
Talk about God in His mercy
Who if He really does exist
Why did he desert me..

That song made me cry buckets, but also helped me because I knew that as long as I still could cry, I was still capable of being a human being.

Until now when I hear that song, it hits me. Always does.
I have always loved that song. I have the record. It reminds me of the day my father died on January 26, l972.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oddly, the Elvis song, "Can't Help Falling in Love with You" gets to me because I would sing it to my late cat all the time (and she'd always look away in shame because I'm a terrible singer :lol:). The week before I had to put her to sleep, I would sing it to her every night even though she was deaf by then. The song now helps me if I want to cry but can't get myself to. I just listen to it, think of Willie and I'll start crying (I am not emotional at all, so I rarely ever cry and it's hard for me to do it).

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
"YOU" by Karen Carpenter is also one I would add. It is the song I sing to my son - the constant strength and inspiration I have in my life. It motivates me to work harder, because I know people still depend on me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Oddly, the Elvis song, "Can't Help Falling in Love with You" gets to me because I would sing it to my late cat all the time (and she'd always look away in shame because I'm a terrible singer :lol:). The week before I had to put her to sleep, I would sing it to her every night even though she was deaf by then. The song now helps me if I want to cry but can't get myself to. I just listen to it, think of Willie and I'll start crying (I am not emotional at all, so I rarely ever cry and it's hard for me to do it).
Awwww....now I'm crying, Willie sounds so sweet.