Question of the Day, Sunday the 22nd of November 2020

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and Happy Sunday!!

I've been thinking about Christmas as I've read posts about buying gifts, etc.:gift::evergreen:

What was the worst Christmas gift you've ever received but you acted like you loved it?

One year Nicole gave me a Chia Pet and The Clapper!!! These were not gag gifts!!
I thought might as well see if I can grow something. My little Chia grew the most beautiful
basil! Someone hooked up the clapper and I liked it so they turned out to be nice gifts.

What about you?

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the worst gift I received was last year from my little granddaughter bless her. It was full of good intentions she told her mum to buy me oven gloves with cat's on lol. Nobody opened them to check so I got one glove not two and I never use oven gloves. But that was topped in my younger day's the ex husband told me I had 3 presents for valentines day I did, a god awful bask and 2 pairs of stockings just one reason why he is the ex husband. ;)

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I had only known my husband 3 months before we got married, my inlaws didn't know me very well (and obviously neither did my husband). They must have asked him what I liked so they could get me a Christmas gift. He said I liked Winnie the Pooh. So they ended up getting me a sweater with a huge Winnie the Pooh face on it. When I asked my husband why they would get me something like that as a 25 year old woman, he said I had told him that I liked Winnie the Pooh. I said, "Yes... when I was 4!!" :lol:

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine was from my mother in law, not long after I joined the family. She bought my husband and me matching sweaters (keep in mind we lived in Florida at the time). Not only that but they were ugly - and she didn't even get the correct size. Thank goodness! She would buy the same thing for everyone so whoever opened her gift first, everyone knew what was in theirs.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine was from my mother in law, not long after I joined the family. She bought my husband and me matching sweaters (keep in mind we lived in Florida at the time). Not only that but they were ugly - and she didn't even get the correct size. Thank goodness! She would buy the same thing for everyone so whoever opened her gift first, everyone knew what was in theirs.
My MIL would do that when buying our kids clothes or toys. Would buy infant stuff and they were 3 and 6. I guess that's what happens when you toss all the pictures I routinely sent them and not having a clue they weren't babies anymore.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
The worst for me was a brown...shirt...dress...thing that my MIL got me one year. She bragged that it was only $1 on clearance at WalMart, and I could see why...it was hideous and unflattering. That went to Goodwill almost as soon as we got home. She did get some other presents, but that stuck out to me. My relationship with her has always been awkward, so I wasn't sure if it was a jab at me or if she was genuinely proud of herself for finding such a bargain.

OH I forgot last year! My dad, bless his heart, did his own Christmsa shopping, which my stepmom usually does on her own with input from him. He got us some cool gifts, but one of mine was a hot pink, long sleeved shirt that said, in bold letters, MONDAYS, I DON'T LIKE YOU. He was like, I thought of you as soon as I thought it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

If anyone has seen the video where the parents give their little boy an avocado to see his reaction, and he says "It's an avocado!....Thaaaaaanks", that was my exact face when I received both gifts :lol::lol::lol:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My grandma have me an outfit when I was a teenager that was a jean vest and elastic jean pants both with little flamingos embroidered all over them. It was definitely not something a teenager would ever want or wear. It was more something that a middle-aged mom would wear in the 90s. Keep in mind the year was around 2005.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't think of any really bad gifts. My mother bought me some shirts in really bright colors that I don't care for, but the style is okay, so I still wear them. My brother bought me some sugar free cappuccino mix with sucralose in it that tasted like cardboard. That's all I can think of. People usually buy me stuff that I like or at least want to sample.

miss eveliina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t really call it a “terrible” gift, but it definitely left me thinking what the heck. My grandfather gave me a large wrapped up box. My little kid self thought it was going to be a huge toy or something. I began to open it and I noticed it was a large laundry detergent box. I remember thinking what the ..
Inside was a smaller pair of deer antlers and some lumps coal. :lol: It was more of a joke gift, I suppose. It made us all laugh anyway.

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an aunt and uncle who I've only met a few times so they don't know me very well. A few years back, they got me some Christian worship CDs. I strongly dislike most worship music. The CDs have sat unopened since. I guess they just assumed "Hey, she's a Christian, she'll like this right?." :dunno: I don't blame them since they don't know me but still...

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
A family memberof DH gave me a bottle of wine. I don't drink, and they knew it. Another one had the termity to make fun of my desserts at Christmas dinner, only a few feet away from me. She's the one who gave everyone home-baked (and half-baked) banana bread as a gift at this gathering. It was raw inside. Years ago, someone in my family gave DH and I a lottery ticket as a Christms gift (no, it didn't win).

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Grandma sent me 2 decades out of style nightgown sets. My mom thought they were nursing gowns! :flail:DH and I were newlyweds; and knowing Grandma, she'd put them away a long time before for just that time in my life. (She had or possibly still has, a drawer full of brand new bras she picked up with her granddaughters in mind. Fortunately I take after my other side of the family in that department.)

The fabric was actually really nice quality though and would have felt good to sleep in. But they were a shade of green I can't wear with some lace ruffles and embroidery. They were also WAY too small for me and I was thin then. But they turned out to be great because I re-gifted them to one of my friends who saw them and loved them! :lol: There was also a sweater from the early 90's in there. I don't know what became of that. This was in the early 2000's. :lol:
And now people buy ugly sweaters on purpose! Maybe she was ahead of her time?? :lol:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only things I can think of are gifts I received from co-workers. One person gave me a wałlet. When I opened it a note fell out. It was written to the person that gave me the wallet and it said that she hoped that she liked the wallet. Another time someone gave me a box of cheese. When I opened the box and took out a piece to eat It smelled and it was slimly. I figured it was a gift someone gave her the Christmas before.

Another time we had a Christmas party at work. My friend gave me a pair of PJ's. After a couple of drinks I tried the PJ's on. I liked them so much I kept them on the rest of the day and drove home in them. I am glad my mother did not see me going from my car to the house. She would of had a fit.

t

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know what it is about my mom, but she buys us all christmas pajamas every year--which is not the problem. Who wouldn't like flannel pjs? For some reason she ALWAYS buys pajamas that are too small. Personally, I feel like if anything, pajamas should be purposefully bigger! This year she bought me size small, sent along with clothes I'd ordered for myself that were clearly not "smalls" had she bothered to look. I'm really not THAT different in size from her!!! I know this is not an issue of her "getting older" because it's been happening since I was a kid. Growing up I remember always being able to wear the pajamas once before washing them, then they'd inevitably shrink even more in the dryer to be unwearable.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
someone gave me a box of cheese. When I opened the box and took out a piece to eat It smelled and it was slimly
Awww man. I was gonna say cheese is an awesome gift. But then I read the slimy smelly part. That's too bad, that could have been the best gift if they bought you fresh cheese! 🧀

My friend gave me a pair of PJ's. After a couple of drinks I tried the PJ's on. I liked them so much I kept them on the rest of the day and drove home in them.
Those must have been some awesome PJ's. I bet they were cozy warm. :thumbsup: