Question of the Day. Sunday the 1st of August

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It's August already!

:thud:

How's your eye sight? Do you wear glasses or contact lenses? If you wear glasses is that for distances or close up? Do you go for fancy, designer frames or not?

My eye sight is still pretty good. I don't need glasses, but I do wear sun glasses whenever I go out. My eyes are sensitive to the light and I live at a high altitude, so the UV is stronger up here. I get my sun glasses from outdoor or sports shops. I really like larger, oval shaped frames as they suit my face better.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wore glasses from kindergarten until I was 25, when I got Lasik. I had both nearsightedness and astigmatism. I did try contacts, but they always made my eyes red and teary.

I never went for designer frames, but picking them out was the one thing I liked about having glasses. I remember one pair I had as a kid-they were purple with a leopard pattern :lol:

Hey, it was the 90s :crazy:

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my vision went bad it seems after my stroke( :lol: old age signs all around)still got almost 20/20 but i wear bi focals on a designer frame probably gf picked em out for me . i got to pick the color of em is all use em mainly during hockey season only:lol: but i do need em to read labels on canned cat food though

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pretty bad :paperbag: I've worn eyeglasses since I was about 3. I blame bad genetics and a neighborhood kid throwing sand into my eyes. Poking contacts into my eyes doesn't appeal to me and I think my prescription is too strong for contacts anyways. Eye surgery is just :fear: I just pick out frames that appeal to me and looks good on me. I have vision care insurance that covers eyeglasses so I try to stick with whatever the limit is to minimize out of pocket costs.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't wear glasses, however at night, when I'm tired, far things can get blurry...things like a small street sign. I can still read it from the car and make out what it says but it's not "clean" and have to be a bit closer than usual. Also if I've been staring at a screen too long, again, when I'm tired, it can get fuzzy...I just chalk that up to eye strain because when I take a break and do a few eye exercises it's not as fuzzy.
I haven't had an eye exam in a long time, so am unsure of my actual vision numbers.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got glasses at age seven, and contacts at thirteen when my parents allowed it. I see better in contacts, and they make it easier to wear sunglasses, so I only wear my glasses at night after I take my contacts out for the day and the morning until I put them in.

My left eye is way worse than my right.

Husband has good vision, so hoping J takes after him in that respect.

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm the only one in my close family that doesn't have glasses. I'm always called in to read stuff for my mum, like baking recipes, because her eyesight has started to get worse. My eyes are a little sensitive to light, so I usually have a pair of sunglasses with me, although I'm not really a fan of the feeling of wearing glasses. I do have some lensless glasses, just for style/cosplay, I couldn't stand them with the glass still in them.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to be extremely near-sighted, and always went for the frames that were under my insurance allowed amount for frames because even with the allotment for the lenses (single correction, standard material), my glasses would run about $500 (because I needed progressives, and wanted the 'no line' version, plus my prescription made the lenses so thick that I had to go with the ultra lightweight lens (and even that was thick). I couldn't even learn to ride a bike until I got my first pair of glasses (in 2nd grade, probably should have had them before, but it wasn't until then that it became obvious that I couldn't see correctly--the world got blurry around the end of my extended arm at that point, later progressed to getting blurry around the end of my nose).

Then in 2018, I had cataract surgeries (both eyes) and now I am slightly far-sighted, but can drive without corrective lenses, and I buy readers by the handful at the dollar store (primarily basic silver wire-rims). That way, I have a pair in every room and a pair in my purse. I also got to, for the first time in my life, start wearing sunglasses based on their appearance and not "will these fit over my regular glasses?".

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got glasses for being nearsighted in my 30's. In my 50's I started getting double vision and I found out I had Graves disease. I had surgery on both eyes for that and then I had to have surgery to straighten my eye muscles. After that my eyes were fine and I didn't need glasses. I went to my eye doctor over a year ago and he said I had early stages of Glaucoma. I didn't worry about it then because I had too many other things to worry about at the time. Now I have double vision again, can't read small print, my eyes are painful and blurry and they are very irritating. So today I am going to talk to my nurse and see about getting an appointment to see a eye doctor.

If I need glasses I will just get the cheapest pair I can. I don't care about fashion.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had good eyesight until I hit my mid-40's or so. They have been progressively getting worse each year. I'm 62. I'm far sighted in one eye and near sighted in the other which is why, probably, I was able to see well for as long as I did. They were compensating for each other. But now, everything is blurry. I'd be lost without the glasses.
I wear glasses. My current frames are black with small rhinestones on the arms. I little bit of glitz lol. I wear prescription sunglasses also - solid black.
I would be an awful candidate for contacts because I'm too lazy.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have really good eyesight, but it went to crap after (ironically) an eye exam. I have no idea what happened but I've been nearsighted ever since, it's like the dilating drops never fully wore off so I've needed glasses since then.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have worn glasses since I was 11. A couple years ago I had cataract surgery, but I went from being able to read really small print (like on pill bottles) without glasses to being able to see pretty good mid and far distance. I have computer glasses but don't really need them, I do okay without glasses for that. I have a hard time finding frames I like usually so I've been wearing the same style frame for a lot of years. Not sure if this is the exact frame, but they look like this:

Safilo Elasta EL7217 Eyeglasses | Free Shipping

1627833182866.png

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm very nearsighted. Like if glasses suddenly disappeared I'd be disabled kind of nearsighted. My left eye is worse than my right, and I have a bad astigmatism. Without my glasses I can see clearly about 8 inches with my right eye and about 6 inches with my left eye, and I have to close one eye to read because they don't focus together. That's the astigmatism part I think.

I've had glasses since I was 8 but could have used them sooner, because it wasn't until I was really squinting at the board at school that it became obvious. Unfortunately at the time many homeschoolers would say things like how their kids didn't need to get glasses for bad eyesight because they didn't have to look across a classroom at a board, I guess either they thought they were making their kids tough or strengthening their eyes? Not sure, but that's not how eyes work, and being able to see clearly is not just for chalkboards. Anyway I'm pretty sure that influenced my mom not to take me in for an eye exam until I was in public school and it became an obvious problem. Hopefully the homeschooling community has ditched that nonsense by now.

I haven't had an eye exam in about 10 years because my current glasses still "work" and, miraculously, I've managed not to break them. But lately I can tell my eyes have changed so I really need to get in. I pick whatever glasses look good to me and feel ok on my face, I don't care about labels.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've worn glasses for over half a century. Everybody on both sides of the family had bad eyes and wore glasses. Now, I'm putting off cataract surgery, but my eyes are getting even worse. Pretty soon, I'm gonna have to fish or cut bait on that issue. Maybe I won't have to wear glasses after that's done?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Now that I have had my cataract removed my distance vision is nearly perfect - slight astigmatism but not enough to need glasses. Now reading is something else - I am now at 2.75 reading glasses so they need to be on for most closeup things. But I buy them at the dollar store and keep them all over the house so I can quick grab a pair when needed. Plus another three or four pair in the car.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I've worn glasses for over half a century. Everybody on both sides of the family had bad eyes and wore glasses. Now, I'm putting off cataract surgery, but my eyes are getting even worse. Pretty soon, I'm gonna have to fish or cut bait on that issue. Maybe I won't have to wear glasses after that's done?
You can get correction lenses implanted when you have the cataract surgery. Medicare doesn’t pay for them so its about $1200 or so per eye if you want that done.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can get correction lenses implanted when you have the cataract surgery. Medicare doesn’t pay for them so its about $1200 or so per eye if you want that done.
Yeah, that's what the eye doctor told my mom. Some people say just the cateract surgery helped their eyesight---it can flatten the eyeball a bit which helps correct nearsightedness and astigmatism---but as bad as my mom's eyes are, she'd need the lenses.