Question of the Day Sunday the 16th of May, 2021

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and Happy Sunday!

What is your favorite quote(s)? From a famous person, movie, book, someone you know

Some of mine are:

from Godfather II

Frank Pantangeli to Michael:

Your father did business with Hyman Roth, your father respected Hyman Roth but your father
never trusted Hyman Roth or his Sicilian messenger boy Johnny Ola.

Gordon Gecko from the movie Wall Street
Greed, for lack of a better word, is good

What are yours?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" George Santayana
"We must all hang together or we will surely hang separately" Benjamin Franklin
"Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country" John F. Kennedy
"There is no such thing as a free lunch" John Ruskin

Last edited:

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"There's no such word as can't!" to which my mother added "until you've actually tried! or "Well, for goodness sake, practice until you can!" It was always the final word when we'd been ordered to do something we didn't want to do.

Perhaps that's the reason why, later in my life, I found myself doing some very out-of-character things - just because nobody else was willing to try. Not too proud of my attempts, for instance, at simultaneous translation into a foreign language at a scientific conference. But those who had to listen to my stuttering in German were satisfied and fortunately the only joke I had to translate was at least one which was funny in both languages. I was so happy that I'd understood it. My listeners obviously had to wait for my translation and it was a such relief to hear their laughter!

Jumping in at the deep end, not always very elegantly, was probably a stepping-stone rather than a hindrance in my career!

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
This powerful quote from the movie "Tuck Everlasting" really brings it home for me. For those who are not familiar "Tucker Everlasting" was a book and later a movie about a young girl coming of age who runs away from her home and goes deep into the forest near her home to find a family living there. In time she learns a secret about this lovely family. They all drank from a spring whose water had giving them eternal life. They are all over 100 years old and haven't age a day since they drank the water from the spring. After the secret was made known to the girl, the father takes her out on the boat on a pond and speaks to her about why she should never consider taking the water from the Spring. He mentioned how many would trample over others for the spribg water to live an eternal life, only to not be living there lives now. That quote below is from his speech. In the end the girl never drinks the water, lived a long productive life and when she died her grave was placed over the spring so no one would accidentally stumble upon it like that family did.
Tuck-Everlasting-pin-683x1024.png

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a few favourite quotes, but first comes to mind.....

"Poor little one, you are not desired, but you will be none the less dear to me! A son would have belonged to the state—you will belong to me" - Marie Antoinette (After just giving birth to her daughter Marie-Thérèse Charlotte)

It's a long explanation why I like it so much, but I always did!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
"To thee no star be dark/ Both heaven and earth friend thee forever"
Shakespeare

"I wish the ring had never come to me and none of this had happened"
"So do all who live in such times, but that is not for them to decide.
All that we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
LOTR

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
“Courage, dear heart.” -Narnia. Simple, but I’ve always loved it.
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.” -Les Miserables
“Have courage and be kind.” -Cinderella (I think from the live action remake.)

Last edited: