Question of the Day, Sunday the 13th of June, 2021

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got a haircut. It's short---I had her clipper it (1/2" comb) up the back, and heavily layer/texture the top and sides. My last haircut was back in January so I was getting pretty shaggy. My hair is thick and wavy and can get difficult.

This is from a wig ad, but it's the closest to my current haircut I could find. Except my hair isn't frosted/highlighted and I don't use product, haha.
download (4).jpeg

I'd like to get brave enough to pull this off, not sure if I ever will, or even if my hair would cooperate:
download (5).jpeg

I've never dyed my hair, mainly because it's nearly black so I'd have to bleach it fairly heavily to get any color to show up and I don't want to do that.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't go to hair salons as they don't know how to cut curly hair, around here anyway,
I've heard---since most South Dakota hairstylists also don't know what to do with curly hair---that the thing to do is find out where the hispanic ladies go, in the closest largish city. A friend of mine, who before that went her whole life without a decent haircut, says it's a miracle :D.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard---since most South Dakota hairstylists also don't know what to do with curly hair---that the thing to do is find out where the hispanic ladies go, in the closest largish city. A friend of mine, who before that went her whole life without a decent haircut, says it's a miracle :D.
Yeah, we don't have much diversity here being a smaller city. I would have to travel a few hours to go to a salon that would have experience with natural/curly hair types, and it would cost a fortune.
I was shopping at a Costco about 3 years ago, and I ended up walking behind a black woman who had beautiful hair, it had the perfect shape and the curls fell just right. I mustered up some courage after I walked past her and her friend. I went to her and asked. "I'm sorry if this sounds forward, but you have beautiful hair and a lovely shape to it, I've been trying to find someone who can care for curly hair...May I ask where you get it cut?" She started giggling and said, "I'm really sorry, but I cut my own hair..." :( I said "Oh well, thanks anyway, you do a wonderful job." She thanked me and I walked away.
It was then I decided that I would just start researching how to shape my own...I just haven't got the courage to do it yet...

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We do the very occasionally at home trim. It's usually just me with a scissor trying to snip some of the ends. I'm slowly trying to get it a bit lighter, by a combination of product and a lot of exposure to sun (only my hair, I don't like tanning). After summer break ends, I'll use my pack of at home dye I've had since last year or so, maybe even longer. It's the same colour I used last time, but you can barely see that anymore. It's a blue/black colour, and I'm excited to dye it again.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't color my hair. I have dark brown (near black) with gray that's coming in silver (shiny!) like my maternal grandfather had. I used to say when I was young that I hoped I had inherited that gene, and since I did I'm not covering it up. At present, I'm about 95% brown/black. I normally go for a spiky, funky pixie, but I haven't gotten it cut (and about 3 weeks overdue). Once I get pathology back from the hysterectomy this coming Thursday, I'll either go in for another cut (same general style) or just let it all fall out, depending. Obviously, I hoping to have an early July haircut (post op visit is on the 29th).

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have wavy medium brown hair. I was blonde as a small child, but I dyed my hair blonde through out most of my adulthood. I stopped dying it over a year ago (but there still is some blonde left in my hair). I am done with the dying my hair for now. I cut my hair above the shoulders 4 or 5 months ago. Now I just want it to grow, so I am living it alone. I haven't been to a hair dresser since the start if the pandemic. I am happy being away from the dyes. I want my hair to get healthier.🙂

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have the patience to mess with my hair anymore.When I worked that was a different story.I haven't colored in years,and have had it cut relatively short for a long time.Since retiring,I really don't want to mess with it so I keep it in a very short pixie.It's what I call wash and go hair.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
was thinking of getting a lovely shade of purple dyed to it once i can afford the price
If you can get your husband to apply the color, Feria, by Loreal has very pretty shades of purple and it's less
than $10.00
L'Oréal aren't a very ethical company though, they still test on animals. If you want a cruelty free colour try Directions Hair Colour | The official online store by La Riché or Manic Panic - Vegan & Cruelty Free Cosmetics and Hair Color. or Semi-Permanent Hair Colour or Arctic Fox Hair Color- Vegan & Cruelty-Free

These are all demi-permanent, which means they fade over time. They last for ages on bleached hair though and they're very conditioning, so that off sets the damage of bleaching your hair. If you re-apply the colour every 4 to 6 weeks it's like giving yourself a deep conditioning hair mask.

The darker purples will colour dark hair without bleaching if you want a deeper, more subtle colour.

If you're going to do it at home make sure you check what your skin tone is, either cool or warm, so you can choose a colour that will compliment your skin tone the best.

😈

Try kool-aid. My sister and her friends used to do that all the time, it only lasts until the next time you wash your hair but you can do whatever color you want for $0.25 or less.
I've seen videos of people doing that. I've seen people dying their hair with sharpies too. Looks like a lot of work with the sharpies as you have to cut them open to get the pigment out..

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just had mine cut for the first time since February of 2020. I cut off over a foot in order to do a donation. It was about 3/4 of the way down my back I think. I kept having to put it in a bun in the heat. My hair is thick; so it was a heavy bun. But down felt like a blanket. I was braiding it at night so i would stop laying on it or getting it tangled around my neck. :lol2:

So now it barely brushes my shoulders at my neck and I'm struggling with managing it (and my neck itches). I can do a half pony tail but some comes down around my face. It looks ok this way. I can't get it up in a full pony tail without using some snap barettes to keep what's around my neck up. It looks rediculous too but I was going to garden when I tried anyway.

My hair has some wave and at this length it wants to wave at the ends. So it's flipping out like some 60's hairdo on one side but under at the other shoulder. :rolleyes: Somehow I always forget this until I get it cut to this lenght. I've been trying to use the blow dryer to keep it straighter and that's better. I just had to add product.

So basically now my shorter hair is more work. But way easier to wash. :lol: I won't dye it because that requires maintenance. I have some grays; but I'm not bothered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't color my hair. I have dark brown (near black) with gray that's coming in silver (shiny!) like my maternal grandfather had. I used to say when I was young that I hoped I had inherited that gene, and since I did I'm not covering it up. At present, I'm about 95% brown/black. I normally go for a spiky, funky pixie, but I haven't gotten it cut (and about 3 weeks overdue). Once I get pathology back from the hysterectomy this coming Thursday, I'll either go in for another cut (same general style) or just let it all fall out, depending. Obviously, I hoping to have an early July haircut (post op visit is on the 29th).
I hope all goes well!💖

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got a haircut. It's short---I had her clipper it (1/2" comb) up the back, and heavily layer/texture the top and sides. My last haircut was back in January so I was getting pretty shaggy. My hair is thick and wavy and can get difficult.

This is from a wig ad, but it's the closest to my current haircut I could find. Except my hair isn't frosted/highlighted and I don't use product, haha.
View attachment 384276

I'd like to get brave enough to pull this off, not sure if I ever will, or even if my hair would cooperate:
View attachment 384277

I've never dyed my hair, mainly because it's nearly black so I'd have to bleach it fairly heavily to get any color to show up and I don't want to do that.
I love it!!

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
L'Oréal aren't a very ethical company though, they still test on animals. If you want a cruelty free colour try Directions Hair Colour | The official online store by La Riché or Manic Panic - Vegan & Cruelty Free Cosmetics and Hair Color. or Semi-Permanent Hair Colour or Arctic Fox Hair Color- Vegan & Cruelty-Free

These are all demi-permanent, which means they fade over time. They last for ages on bleached hair though and they're very conditioning, so that off sets the damage of bleaching your hair. If you re-apply the colour every 4 to 6 weeks it's like giving yourself a deep conditioning hair mask.

The darker purples will colour dark hair without bleaching if you want a deeper, more subtle colour.

If you're going to do it at home make sure you check what your skin tone is, either cool or warm, so you can choose a colour that will compliment your skin tone the best.

😈

I've seen videos of people doing that. I've seen people dying their hair with sharpies too. Looks like a lot of work with the sharpies as you have to cut them open to get the pigment out..
im probably going to hair salon to do it since i dont have friends here that can do it for me