Question of the Day, Sunday the 12th of July, 2020

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Good Morning etc and Happy Sunday!!

I was pondering this last night because Nicole dropped off a big salad for my dinner.

What are your favorite salad dressings? Do you like a green salad best? A fruit salad as well?

I love Blue Cheese dressing or a Vinaigrette with crumbled Blue cheese, Roquefort is my fave. My mother used to make a fresh fruit salad with lemonade concentrate and other ingredients for the dressing, soo good

What do you like?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't like any dressing at all, just a big salad with everything in it, lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, apple, coleslaw, grated carrots, pineapple, potato salad, beetroot..the list goes on. I dont like fruit salad but I suppose in a way I am having both in one meal.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love a tossed salad with homegrown tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, carrots, and radishes. My favorite dressing is vinegar and oil, Italian being second. Garden tomatoes are a must though, if you don't have them, none at all!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I love salad! All it needs is olive oil, vinegar and a little salt and pepper.

I'm a big fan of fruit salads as well. Any dish you don't actually have to cook is fine by me

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I love big salads! Lettuce, onion, celery, green pepper, chopped tomato, chopped carrots, some broccoli and cauliflower, a few thinly sliced radishes, zucchini, yellow squash, etc. Whatever is in the fridge goes into the salad.

My favorite dressing is probably a Country French or 1,000 Island. I try to make my own dressings whenever I can. I make a wonderful Smoky blue cheese and a really good French. I can make a good tangy tomato dressing (like Outback's).

But I am a huge fan of a good grilled Caesar salad with grilled croutons. Plenty of dressing.

My GF gave me her recipe for warm fruit salad with a honey dressing. It's perfect for Christmas brunch.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just lettuce, cherry tomatoes, and croutons, with Russian dressing for me. I don't care for anything else in my salads, and I'm not a big fan of fruit salad either, but I will eat it once in a great while.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like any dressing at all, just a big salad with everything in it, lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, apple, coleslaw, grated carrots, pineapple, potato salad, beetroot..the list goes on. I dont like fruit salad but I suppose in a way I am having both in one meal.
I'll say you like everything in it, Sis, ha!!! Is that a Wales thing or a Mush thing?💖

I'm so glad I have part of my salad left over. I can't wait for home grown tomatoes, soon I hope!!🍅

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's how salads are sold in quite a few restaurants, they tend to be called 'chefs specials'

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
I love salads, but a simple one. Just lettuce, tomatoes, hard boiled egg, and maybe some grilled chicken. Also, must have dressing. Creamy french dressing.
Also, love fruit salad. Simple as well. Maybe some strawberries, pineapples, grapes, melon.
Potato salad and macaroni salad are good too.
Anyone else hungry now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I love salads, but a simple one. Just lettuce, tomatoes, hard boiled egg, and maybe some grilled chicken. Also, must have dressing. Creamy french dressing.
Also, love fruit salad. Simple as well. Maybe some strawberries, pineapples, grapes, melon.
Potato salad and macaroni salad are good too.
Anyone else hungry now?
Yep, especially since you brought up macaroni and potato salad, ha!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My favourite salad right now is a bagged romaine mix, which I top with chopped apple, cheese, raisins and walnuts. For dressing I just use vinegar and oil. Sometimes a drizzle of orange juice as well.

For a veggie only mixed salad I'll use French or Catalina dressing.

I also have used a poppyseed dressing for a baby spinach salad topped with strawberries, red onion and almond slivers.

For fruit salad, I've made giant salad with cantaloupe, red and green grapes, red, yellow and granny smith apples, kiwi, etc. To keep the apple pieces from browning, I drizzle with lemon juice.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I get the bagged romaine mix as well. I usually have baby carrots around, I like to snack on them. Even though the salad mix has shredded carrots in it I will slice up a few of the baby carrots and add those. If I have some nuts and/or apples around I will chop up those and add. On the rare occasion I have sunflower seeds I will add some of those as well. I go back and forth between a blue cheese dressing and a honey or country French dressing.

I love fresh fruit if it really taste like it is supposed to. I really would rather just have the fresh fruit without anything added like a dressing or coconut, just the fresh fruit.

Roxabelle

Human slave to Sinclair the Kitten
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can’t stand salad dressing! I prefer my salad to be crisp, crunchy and very, very naked.

I’ll drizzle with a bit of extra virgin olive and then sprinkle on plenty of black pepper and chilli flakes, maybe a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. But I don’t like vinegar or goopy mayo-based sauces of any kind.

I used to be able to get a Thai Lime & Coriander dressing from the English Provender Company but they stopped making it a long time ago. That was the only dressing I’d ever touch.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite salad is Caesar, so I'd say that my favorite dressing is also Caesar. Apparently, a major ingredient is Worcestershire sauce, which might explain it :yummy: I especially love adding chicken or salmon-they seem to absorb the dressing, which enhances their flavor.

I also like blue cheese dressing. I'm glad I can eat it-blue cheese is made with Penicillium, but the mold and the antibiotic are different enough that I can eat it safely.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Mmmm, salads. I get to have one tonight with dinner and tomorrow for lunch. :yummy:

I like a Romaine/spinach blend with added basil as the base (seriously, try adding herbs to your salad- it really kicks it up several notches). I like mine relatively simple- sliced cherry tomatoes, sliced carrots, a packet of candied walnuts/sunflower seeds/dried fruit blend, and some sort of protein, though the protein doesn't have to be there. I can't do eggs or cheese in salads- the texture doesn't agree with me (I will readily eat boiled eggs and cheese on their own). Now that I think about it, I do have some Parmesan crisps, so I may crumble up some of those and put it in there in place of croutons...hmm...

We are grilling a ribeye tonight (I can't wait!!!) and I love to add sliced up chunks to a salad. As far as dressing, I like vinaigrettes or Ranch. I make my own vinaigrette with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, honey, and a small amount of salt.

JulieHarr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I like Fresh Express Chopped kits and Fresh Express Spring Mix. My favorite dressing is poppy seed.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love salads as well. I'll usually have a big one for dinner a couple of times a week. Now that its so hot out, maybe more.
I also do the bagged romaine, sometimes I'll add some spring mix. For me it's usually cucumbers, cherry or grape tomatoes, red onions, sometimes avacodo. Sunflower seeds if I have them. I sometimes add grilled chicken, especially if its for dinner.
For dressing, I used to use Ken's Northern Italian, light. But this yr I've been getting the Olive Garden light & it's so good! I have some dressing recepies on a Pinterest board I want to try & make, but always forget! :think:
Oh yeah, and my mom makes really good potato salad! 😊

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I love salad, the more veggies in it the better. It has to have avocado and spinach leaves too. I like a balsamic vinaigrette or lite poppyseed dressing but a squirt of fresh lemon will suffice. 🥗 I also love fruit but usually eat it whole as opposed to in a salad.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I order a side salad or make one at a buffet, blue cheese is my dressing of choice (also on chicken wings!). I really like Caesar salad, so Caesar dressing is good, too.

I used to buy salad kits when I was working and they were on sale, so I wasn't super picky with dressings unless it was like honey mustard - yuck!

Fruit salad can go either way. If there's no pineapple, I'll happily partake. But a lot of times, it's added.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not really a huge salad lover - At most I like a Chicken Salad or a Mediterranean Salad. Favourite dressing Ranch. Not into fruit salads.