Question of The Day. Sunday September 26th

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your parents could not agree on a sex-neutral name like Terry, Blake, or Jamie?
I don't think giving me a gender neutral name was an option? They agreed on a boy's name pretty quickly, which my brother got a couple years later, but from what I've been told, my mom's taste was more like "Jennifer" and my dad's was more like "Barbara". I don't think either of those names would have suited me either, to be fair. :dunno:

(My name is a feminine version of my dad's name, not his name exactly if that was confusing)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Your parents could not agree on a sex-neutral name like Terry, Blake, or Jamie?
I don't think you really understood what Lari was saying in her post.

It wasn't that they wanted a gender neutral name, it was just that her father didn't want his son named after him, but was OK with a daughter being named something similar. ie the female version of his name.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My name means bee, so it's fitting. I try to be industrious.

There was a judge and phrophetess in bible days named Deborah.
I wasn't named after anyone. My parents just liked the name. It was very common when I was growing up and I didn't like it as much as the other girls' names. As an adult I like it very much.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
short for Maria, mom named me and dad named Nicole. Mia is a biblical name...wished for
child. Mom had probs carrying past the third month, a few miscarriages, glad that I came along, ha!!
Docs inserted something inside that helped her get through the third month..I think i's a med now.
Yes, I like it but too common now.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
My name is evidently a Scottish Gaelic name and means St John's servant or (Roman) a feminine form of Julian meaning Jupiter's child.
Living in England, I quite liked my name but since moving to Germany, it's a pain. Uncommon names ending with "n" are usually masculine in the German language so I constantly receive letters for Mr. G. and, when I was invited to celebrate 25 years employment with a large German research organization, administration addressed the invitation to Mr. G.
In a waiting room, I am tired of having to answer to a summons for Herr G. to come to reception, or go to room x, y or z! But I try to smile and I do congratulate those who actually get it right!
No idea why my parents chose the name. I imagine it was popular at the time - but not too popular. There are a number of famous people with the name (actresses and writers) so perhaps Germans will one day realize that it's NOT a man's name! 🤣
May I call you Jules? or Gillian? 😉💖

Last edited:

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
My mom wanted a biblical name, but also wanted one that started with a K - so she named me Kristina (which means follower of Christ.)

Her name is Karen, so she wanted to be able to pass on her 'K' stuff to me.

My middle name, Hart, however was my great great grandfathers last name on my mothers side. He meant a lot to my grandma, so my mom named me Hart after him.

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My name doesn't really have a meaning 😅 my mum just saw it as a name on TV (I think it was a last name, not sure) and went with it. I love my name, it's really unique and a name most people haven't heard before. My middle name is a combination of various (great-) grandmothers, that they merged together to make a normal name. You wouldn't know it, since it's a decently normal sounding name, but it has great sentiment behind it.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have one of those double/combo names; which means I never found my name on a keychain or bicycle license plate as a kid. That was always SO disappointing! I swore I'd give my kids normal names. (I didn't. :lol:)

I guess it suits me. I mean it's mine. :dunno: For a while in my late teens/college years I shortened it because one of my coworkers decided my full name is too much of a mouthful. That's kind of rude now that I think about it. Eventually I went back to my full name but Aunt ___ stuck with the kids (and some of the adults) on DH's side. I have found it amusing because I married a southerner but I am not southern born myself. ;) At my niece's high school graduation it seemed like 70% of the kids had 2 middle names. I felt kind of bad for them reading off all those names. :dizzy:

ETA: I wasn't named after anyone. They were convinced I would be a boy and prepared with a boy name. I'm sure not a boy. Mom wanted a very common girl name but dad didn't agree (THANKS DAD!! :lol:) so they eventually agreed on what I ended up with.

Last edited:

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First time i have actually looked up the meaning of my name. Have no idea where my parents got it from as my brother and sister were named from great grand parents and no one in the family with my name.

Anglicized form of two Scottish Gaelic names, Cináed (literally “born of fire”), name of Scottish kings, and the saint's name Cainnech (literally “handsome”), as in the surname MacKenzie.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
First time i have actually looked up the meaning of my name. Have no idea where my parents got it from as my brother and sister were named from great grand parents and no one in the family with my name.

Anglicized form of two Scottish Gaelic names, Cináed (literally “born of fire”), name of Scottish kings, and the saint's name Cainnech (literally “handsome”), as in the surname MacKenzie.
Kenneth?