Question of The Day. Sunday September 26th

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good morning.

:wave3:

What does your name mean? Were you named after someone or were you given your name for another reason? Do you think your name suits you?

My name comes from the Latin word for "bay laurel plant", which in the Greco-Roman era was used as a symbol of victory, honor or fame. The name represents the embodiment of victory and strength.

I don't know why my parents chose that name. I don't think I have any relatives that I share a name with, I guess they just liked the sound of it. I guess it suits me, I can't imagine being called anything else.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The masculine form Andrew means manly, so I think Andrea means womanly where it is a feminine name.(Interestingly, Italians use it as a male name and do not have a female equivalent.)

I was not named after anyone. It just sounds good with my last name and is impossible to misspell. Unfortunately some people heard it wrong and called me Angela, so I don't recommend it if you are trying to name a daughter.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My name is French originally the female form of Bernard. I think it means brave bear or something along those lines. My mum was a Catholic so we were all named after saints. So I got Bernadette. As a kid I didn't like my name and insisted being called Bernie. But as I've got older I've come to like my name but still don't use my Sunday name, because my granddaughter is named after me. And if anyone try's to call her Bernie she will announce I'm not Bernie I'm Bernadette my nan is Bernie. :lol: I wouldn't dare take her name it suits her better anyway. ;)

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My name means the exact same as yours Norachan Norachan . I was named after my dad because my parents couldn't agree on a girl's name and I guess finally my dad said he didn't want a son named after him, but was okay with a daughter.

I don't love my name, hence why I go by Lari, and as a kid I always found it disappointing that my name was sort of "this will be good enough and we can agree" rather than a name my parents really liked, which is why I'm glad J has a name that I adore. She might not end up liking her name someday, and that's okay, but at least she'll know I was passionate about it and it wasn't just meh.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My parents named me after my grandfather. When I was a child I didn't think much about my name but as a pre-teen and teenager I greatly disliked it. To this day people usually misspell or mispronounce it even after I repeat it to them. :argh: My mom used to tell me about a famous movie actress with the same name to make me feel better but it didn't work. I purposely labored over naming my own children because of my dislike with my name. Fortunately they are both happy with their names.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My name is Greek and apparently means "Noble." I also found this listed as a meaning too "the spelling has probably been influenced by that of the alyssum flower, the name of which is derived from Greek (a), a negative prefix, combined with λύσσα (lyssa) meaning "madness, rabies", since it was believed to cure madness." So that's fun. :lol:

I was named Alyssa because it was a name my dad liked. I found out a few years ago that my parents first heard the name from a friend of theirs whose daughter, named Alyssa, died of leukemia, so again, that's fun.

I think the name suits me, although I have a hard time seeing it as an "adult" name even though I'm 35. I don't have a lot of nicknames, my family will call me Lys or Lyssa, but that's about it. I generally just prefer people call me Alyssa.

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My name means “light.” My mom worked with a coworker whose grandma was named this, and she loved it. I don’t love it, because it’s a very uncommon name and people never spell/say it right, but I don’t hate it. :)

TMcats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My name was going to be my older sister's name but then they changed it because of my dad he would say it weird with the middle name and it didn't sound so good so they gave me my name and they gave my older sister a different name! I like my name it's kinda weird though but it's very common but that's okay!

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My name is evidently a Scottish Gaelic name and means St John's servant or (Roman) a feminine form of Julian meaning Jupiter's child.
Living in England, I quite liked my name but since moving to Germany, it's a pain. Uncommon names ending with "n" are usually masculine in the German language so I constantly receive letters for Mr. G. and, when I was invited to celebrate 25 years employment with a large German research organization, administration addressed the invitation to Mr. G.
In a waiting room, I am tired of having to answer to a summons for Herr G. to come to reception, or go to room x, y or z! But I try to smile and I do congratulate those who actually get it right!
No idea why my parents chose the name. I imagine it was popular at the time - but not too popular. There are a number of famous people with the name (actresses and writers) so perhaps Germans will one day realize that it's NOT a man's name! 🤣

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine derives from Kore, another name for the Greek goddess Persephone. Means "Maiden" or "Daughter". Although it may also be rooted in Gaelic, Cóir, meaning "Good", "Virtuous", "Honest" or "Just".

When I was little I used to dislike my name because it was so different at the time and other kids would tease mercilessly. Now I like it and find it really special! I definitely like the history of it, pretty cool to be associated with a goddess 😁 Although now it's apparently making a bit of a comeback as a popular baby name lol I'm like noooooo, now that I actually appreciate it a resurgence is occurring!

My parents chose the name because they thought it was pretty, different, discovered it in a book and it could be said in three languages comfortably since we have English, French and Finnish in the family. No one else in the family, past or present, has had the name before. It took awhile for them to pick name for me too!

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My name means the exact same as yours Norachan Norachan . I was named after my dad because my parents couldn't agree on a girl's name and I guess finally my dad said he didn't want a son named after him, but was okay with a daughter.

I don't love my name, hence why I go by Lari, and as a kid I always found it disappointing that my name was sort of "this will be good enough and we can agree" rather than a name my parents really liked, which is why I'm glad J has a name that I adore. She might not end up liking her name someday, and that's okay, but at least she'll know I was passionate about it and it wasn't just meh.
Your parents could not agree on a sex-neutral name like Terry, Blake, or Jamie?