Question Of The Day, Sunday, September 24, 2017

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whole or 2%. I really favour the more 'creamier' taste :cool2:

And best with something sweet, like chocolate or cookies, or simply by itself. Not crazy about it with an actual meal, and for some reason I can feel woozy with the combo, especially if I drink the milk too fast.

A particular fave too is Strawberry milk, although I may also enjoy dark chocolate or maple syrup.

REALLY disliked almond and soy milk :barfgreen:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Whole milk. The brand I buy is a locally made one with Jersey cow milk, not the typical Holstein cow milk of mass marketed brands.
There is a dairy in Dayton Oh that has a herd of Jersey cattle. They make their own ice cream and have a scoop shop. They also make their own cheese. It's a fun place for the kids because they also have a petting zoo.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't usually drink plain milk. I don't really dislike it (except skim, ugh), but I don't drink enough to buy a quart and the little single-serve packs are too expensive. I do like to have half-and-half or cream in my coffee, and I like cheese and other milk-related products. I do get almond or coconut milk occasionally, but I still don't drink enough so it goes bad if I don't make a specific effort to drink it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I :redheartpump: Jersey cows, especially the heifers with the huge eyes :biggrin: I worked with them and other livestock in college. There's a farm near college that produces their own Jersey cow milk and ice cream :yummy::yummy:

smurf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't really care for milk all that much, but I do like dairy products like yogurt or cream.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVE milk. To me, it is a necessity like water. My favorite is 1%. My father did dairy farm work and loved cows and I think that has something to do with it. Also, I was studying dietetics in college and remember a Nutrition Doctor speaking about milk being closest to the perfect food. That talk always stuck with me. I have a glass in the morning before jumping in the car and that is all I need to keep my blood sugar steady until noon.

When I am ill or shaky, milk is what soothes me. I will spend a little more for milk that has roots closest to where I live. I have seen many dairies close around here over the years. I remember when our milk was delivered fresh in glass bottles to our home. My mother even kept powdered milk on hand in case of emergency. I can't imagine being without water, coffee or MILK!

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like any brand of unsweetened almond, coconut, or almond coconut milk. I tried soy milk but didn't like the taste. A friend told me she makes her own coconut milk with canned coconut milk, water and coconut cream. Less expensive than in the cartons in the store. I think I'll try it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It has to be whole milk. The other stuff tastes like cloudy water. I've had milk directly from the cow and it tastes very, very different from the stuff we get at the grocery store. When I was growing up, there was always a clot of cream at the top of the glass milk bottle. I considered it a treat and tried to get it before my mom put it in her coffee. She usually let me have it.

When I was small I would get stomach cramps in the spring. We finally discovered it was a spring grass the cows were eating. The rest of the year was fine. Fortunately, I outgrew the allergy.

Nothing goes better with a piece of chocolate cake than a big glass of very cold milk.
whole milk!!! :cloud9: great!!

i remember fresh milk in glass bottles, delivered to our home when i was a child. oh, what i'd give to be able to do that these days. :sigh:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have NEVER liked milk, even as a kid I had to have it chocolate. If I HAD to drink it, it would be half and half, now that is tasty, an I use that on my oatmeal,but I would weigh 600lbs. I eat a lot of cheese, and I do like ice cream!
mmmm......half and half!!! :clap: very tasty!!

it's only every so often that i'll drink a glass of milk on it's own. most times, i'll add strawberry nesquik to it. i love milk in cereal though.

cheese, ice cream......:yummy:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am another one that never cared for milk though I do like all other dairy products. I was taking calcium supplements as a child because I would drink so little milk. I have started making a meal replacement shake most mornings but that is about it for me and drinking milk. I do put a little milk in my coffee, I don't care for the powdered creamers or actual cream in my coffee, I prefer milk. I get 1% milk. I don't like skim milk in my coffee it has to be at least 1%.
1% milk, in meal replacement shakes you make and in your coffee!!! :thumbsup: very nice!! :)

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
whole milk!!! :cloud9: great!!

i remember fresh milk in glass bottles, delivered to our home when i was a child. oh, what i'd give to be able to do that these days. :sigh:
The milk was in gallon glass bottles that had a pleated cap on the top. Under that was a sort of heavy paper plug with a little tab on it that had to be removed each time the bottle was opened. It was frustrating when one of those plugs disintegrated or the little tab came off.

Do you remember the beautiful jewel-tone aluminum drinking glasses that were filled with cottage cheese? Our milkman would even provide a specific color so we could have a whole set. I don't know it there are any of those left from my late mom's stuff or not. The milkman would deliver the milk and other dairy products to the back door or even come into the house and put it in the icebox (sic).

I just did a search and there are still some dairies that home-deliver. I'll bet it still isn't the same, though.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The milk was in gallon glass bottles that had a pleated cap on the top. Under that was a sort of heavy paper plug with a little tab on it that had to be removed each time the bottle was opened. It was frustrating when one of those plugs disintegrated or the little tab came off.

Do you remember the beautiful jewel-tone aluminum drinking glasses that were filled with cottage cheese? Our milkman would even provide a specific color so we could have a whole set. I don't know it there are any of those left from my late mom's stuff or not. The milkman would deliver the milk and other dairy products to the back door or even come into the house and put it in the icebox (sic).

I just did a search and there are still some dairies that home-deliver. I'll bet it still isn't the same, though.
We got milk delivered from Royal Crest Dairy in Colorado. The milk was not in glass bottles though. Plastic. We rinsed them and put them back in the box and they got picked up at the next delivery. They have all kinds of stuff. Butter, bread, eggs, cheese, cookie dough, etc. It was so convenient and their milk is good. It was also not much more expensive than the grocery store. Royal Crest Dairy - Home Delivery

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never liked the taste of plain milk. It just makes me gag. My mom said I've been like that since I was a toddler.

However, I'm totally A-OK with milk as long as it's mixed in with something to disguise the taste, e.g., chocolate milk, smoothies, etc. Just not in my coffee. I use butter for that. :)
mmmm......chocolate milk, smoothies!!! :thumbsup: most excellent!!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Growing up in the midwest most of our meals included a glass or two of whole milk. As a young adult I started drinking 2% milk but now I enjoy unsweetened almond milk. I'm picky about the brand and have a particular favorite. Even my husband has acquired a taste for almond milk. :)
ahhh, a particular brand of unsweetened almond milk!!! :clap: that sounds great!! :)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Growing up, whole milk, at least 1/2 gallon daily. LOVE IT.
Now, I buy Lactaid Fat Free, but only have it in my morning coffee; dairy products increase inflammation and my body is full of arthritis. Sigh. Still, my morning drink is milk with a bit of coffee in it lol.
Lactaid Fat Free!!! :thumbsup: very nice!! :agree: