Question of the Day: Sunday, October 2

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lost for ideas to-day! It's officially Harvest Festival but our town is celebrating next week so I'm busy packing things for a tombola. The cat charity will have a market stall in the town - because of COVID it's the first one this year! We desperately need to make money. More news about that next week!

Today is "NAME YOUR CAR DAY" 🚚🚗 (Yes, CAR not CAT!)

Since my car, my very reliable, constant companion for more than 10 years, has never had a name, I celebrated her day (I'm sure she's female 🤣 ) by entering her details in some car name generators and came up with Rupert, Hercules and Black Knight. The fourth site offered "Black Betty" which seems more appropriate, but I'm still not convinced.

I once had a small car called "Donkey" using letters in the number plate - and searched for a soft toy donkey to sit in the rear window. But, I finished up with a white cat - now one of my pet cats' many toys.

Does your present (or previous) car or truck have a name? Please, tell me about it!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
We named our car Optimus Prime, with matching stickers of the actual transformer. My little nephew and niece would imagine being in Optimus Prime itself and its amusing. One time I heard them whispered to each other, "Do you think Optimus really transforms when nobody's watching?", my nephew asked his younger sister,

"Oh Yeah!", my niece replied.

:)

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
one of my old cars with 8 cylinders was called The White Bomb

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I never actually named a car but rather called them by the manufacturer's name for the color, e.g. pewter, onyx, etc.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess My first car I named. I called her "Hot Tamale ". Because she was Reddish Orange and quick down the road. My current Two go by "Subbie " and Q5. Not too creative. Those two just represent Brand and Model.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first car had 2 names. The first was given by some friends as a way to make fun of me and my car. They called it "The Granny-mobile"...all in good fun as I had a big 'ol boat of a car when everyone else had dinky little sunfires and neons...
It's second name was Chewy...named after Chewbacca because the power steering was gone on it and anytime you turned the wheel it would make a sound similar to Chewy's noise.
My second car...I didn't really come up with a name for it, but my friend would always call it the "Red Rocket". For no other reason than it was red I guess....It's wasn't a "fast car" by any means...just your run of the mill cheap 4 door sedan.
I currently drive a silver mini van...it has no name but it is "branded" with my husbands business name on it. All the door panels are wrapped with the business name in a Graffiti type font in orange, white and black...I imagine my van is a "male vehicle" and perhaps his name could be "Raff" short for "Graffiti"...plus, both my husband and I are fans of the ninja turtles (Raff short for Raphael)...and a little 80's/90's nostalgia fits with the look of the graphics on the vehicle too. :D (Yes, I know Michelangelo was the orange turtle but the graffiti font is very 80's/90's style)

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I think everybody on TCS knows Clarence by now. Clarence is my 2001 PT Cruiser. Bought him new back in 2001 and have kept him. I love that boy. I have named other cars, but Clarence is the one with true personality and a need to roam. He's been up and down the east coast a few times, visited the mid-west several times, visited Canada numerous times, and we've been throughout New England several times.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first car had several names. It was lovingly known as the Green Monster (a green 1995 Mercury Sable) and when my sister started driving it (it was a family car) she named it Jorge Jerome Fiddlesticks. My second car (again a family car after I crashed the Green Monster in 2009) was a 1999 Cadillac Deville that I named Cecil B. Deville. My first car that I actually bought myself was a 2001 Dodge Caravan that I named Darwin Mendel (because I was and still am a science/biology nerd). My friends called it the Boob Mobile though because my friends call me Boob (and yes I'm not even remotely joking about that). My current car is 2011 Chevy Impala and I gave it a name when I bought it a few years ago, but I couldn't remember what it was (I think it was a science-related name) and I haven't come up with anything else.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have only named one of my cars, the brand new Chevy Chevette that left us stranded on a mountainside when it broke down a few weeks after I bought it. I went through a year of misery with that car which earned it a expletive nickname unsuitable for posting

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought my first car- a used '68 Mustang GT- in 1971 as a present to myself on getting my discharge from the military. Since then, I have owned 7 more cars or trucks, and none have ever been named. It's not my style.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I was a kid we named all my mom's cars. I remember her getting this brown Oldsmobile type sedan and we named it Joey because someone said if we gave it a boy name it would last longer.:rolleyes2: Joey did not last longer. :lol2: He was replaced by mom being able to buy her first ever new car; which she drove for probably a good 12 years.

I don't think we've named a car since. We do refer to the Subaru as The Subie. I waned to get the reindeer antlers and red nose for it for Christmas but DH wouldn't let me. :sniffle: He just does not like any bumper stickers or things like that.

I'll have to ask my kids what they would name the cars. They might have better ideas.

We named our car Optimus Prime, with matching stickers of the actual transformer. My little nephew and niece would imagine being in Optimus Prime itself and its amusing. One time I heard them whispered to each other, "Do you think Optimus really transforms when nobody's watching?", my nephew asked his younger sister,

"Oh Yeah!", my niece replied.

:)
DS is still a big Transformers fan and has been since he was a preschooler. He would have been all in that conversation with them! :redheartpump: I should probably look for one of those but it doesn't quite fit the feel of my suv. Now for his 16th birthday I'll have to find him one. :lol:

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I called my first car Captain Anti-Momentum on occasion because it would roll backward the moment I took my foot off the brake on a hill. I don’t have a name for my current car. I don’t think of cars as having personalities. It doesn’t occur to me to name them any more than, say, a toaster.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I called my first car Captain Anti-Momentum on occasion because it would roll backward the moment I took my foot off the brake on a hill. I don’t have a name for my current car. I don’t think of cars as having personalities. It doesn’t occur to me to name them any more than, say, a toaster.
You don't name your toaster!!? Goodness, I don't know what I'd do without Terence to brown my bread in the mornings. :flail:
As for cars, I had one my nephew named Gladys as she was a grand old lady but had a bit of a problem getting up a hill when both the lights and the windscreen wipers were on.