Question of the Day: Sunday, November 27

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wishing you all a very Happy Sunday - regardless of whether you are celebrating the First of Advent peacefully or whether this is just another manic Sunday!

No candles in my house (firstly for safety reasons but I'm not religious anyway) but I do like this wreath which reminds me of my first Advent in Germany almost 50 years ago when we spent a Sunday afternoon and early evening with friends sitting comfortably in candlelight around such a wreath, reminiscing, eating rather hard spicy cookies and drinking mulled wine.

first-advent-4653170_1920.jpg

Photo taken from Myriam's-Photos on Pixabay

...but here's the reality to-day (another picture from Pixabay)! No cookies, no mulled wine, just the flu! Weak legs, sneezing, coughing, sweating and shivering! Why did I put off getting my flu jab back in September? Well, at least it*s not Covid! And no-one needs to insist that I stay at home for a few days - there is no way that I am going out feeling like this!

and as for eating Christmas cookies and drinking mulled wine - no, not to-day, thank you!

Which brings me to one of the old sayings - now medically disproved - but which my mother used to repeat: "Feed a cold and starve a fever!" I find great difficulty eating even when I've got a cold (nothing tastes anyway) and with a slight temperature, I really don't need food and find it difficult to take enough fluids which are far more important than food anyway! But, I have met people who can eat normally regardless of how they are feeling.

How about you? Is a cold or fever a marvellous opportunity to lose weight or have they no effect at all on your appetite?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In most cases, my appetite stays the same, with the exception of when my sinuses start draining that glop down the back of my throat. At that point, all I want is hot tea with honey and lemon. Besides, I can't afford to lose much weight as it is.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have alwalys followed that saying feed a cold starve a fever cause it makes sense to me. feeding a cold provides your body energy to fight the cold while drinking alot of liquids hydrates your body while its running a fever.doing both while sleeping alot has always allowed me to fight off colds fast. but i find avoiding contact with friends and family with elementry aged kids during flu season works best :lol:young kids and the schools they attend are just full of germs.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My appetite is usually pretty good even when I'm sick, unless I've consumed too much snot from the copious amounts from post nasal drip. But I still force myself to eat even if I have stomach upset because the food will often settle my tummy.
Even if I have a bad fever and full blown body aches and sever fatigue, I will again force myself to eat somthing...it might not be a full meal...it might just be a cup of soup...but it's comforting. I also get real tired of the same boring fluids all the time so adding soup into the mix helps keep me hydrated. They say to avoid sugar and caffeine when sick, so that basically leaves me with water and some herbal teas...I like tea and all, I drink it everyday, but I prefer my black teas over herbal.

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I always have homemade soups in the freezer and packaged ones in the cupboards for when I don’t feel well. Those are usually the only things I will eat until I recover. The lentil soup I make, with lots of leeks and garlic in it is very spicy and that seems to help clear up my sinuses.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feed a fever starve a cold. and in between, following your doctor’s advice first of course, fire cider helps to keep the evil meanies away!
Well, that's something I may have to try! I did find this summary:

"Fire cider is a spicy tonic promoted to:
  • support immune health
  • prevent and treat cold symptoms
  • improve many other health issues
However, despite these many claims, limited evidence supports using its ingredients as a natural remedy for your immune system, and more research is needed.

There are no clear benefits or downsides to drinking the tonic. You can enjoy it as a drink or tea, or add it to recipes as a flavor enhancer. By itself, though, its high acidity may irritate your mouth or throat, as well as wear down tooth enamel over time.

If you want to add some spice to your life, there’s likely no harm in giving fire cider a try."

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really get fevers but my colds always go into my chest. I make lentil soup and I'd rather eat that than anything solid. Soup, hot tea, liquids, rest...and my puffer for the chest. If I take a deongestant, that spoils my appetite and makes my head all fuzzy.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I take it once a month and it is indeed a kick in the pants! For me it does a world of good, and then the tsp of elderberry syrup once a day. I haven’t had a cold in six years! But, I am indeed no physician, so, don’t listen to me w/out consulting your MD for sure.