Question of the Day: Sunday, November 20

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A very happy Sunday to you all!

The holiday season has started, and people are planning trips to relations or escape-routes to pastures new!

I am in 2 minds about travelling. I have done my share of contaminating the environment - mainly short business trips flying alone to and from most countries in Europe on public funds. Travelling alone was fine and I was lucky. Losing luggage is a minor upset and I rarely had a health problem in a country where I couldn't speak the language. But, enough is enough. So, I'm quite happy to stay at home with the cats.

However, if I were offered a trip tomorrow, preferably with a friend or relation, to New Zealand, Australia, Japan, USA or Canada (just to name a few destinations) I would probably jump at the chance and forget all about environmental issues.

How do you feel about travelling these days? ✈🛳 🚌 🚗 or 💺🏠 :zzzcat: ?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only place now that I would go is a safari in Africa. Not a hunting safari but just to see the wildlife. If the safari is chosen wisely it actually helps with wildlife conservation. The local people make money off the tourism, so they are more likely to report poaching rather than helping them for money.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Right now I have little desire to travel. I've done a fair amount when younger, though certainly still haven't gotten to many places I'd like to experience. But being older now, it's not as appealing and it's not a burning desire. My husband, though, never got the chance to travel much when younger so he's always bothering me to go away. The cats are a big reason we haven't - I keep telling him "You, find the cat sitters and then we'll go somewhere" and that always quiets him because he knows how difficult finding someone trustworthy near us will be (no family, nor friends nearby either). So that's that for now.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not a big traveler, although, I like to go on short distance road trips for camping. There are a few places that, given the opportunity, I would take advantage of going, but it's not top of mind or a priority. Someday, I would like to visit Scotland and Ireland, and my husband would love to go to Normandy...he's a big WWII buff, but those are really the only places that are on my bucket list. I like being home...

That being said, if I became super rich and had access to a private jet, I might be more inclined to travel...

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I miss traveling, but with a toddler, things are a lot harder because you have to deal with nap times, and packing all the necessities, and if flying the whole car seat on an airplane thing. And standing in line for TSA with her.

If I had a private jet, like Jem Jem said, it might be different. Otherwise, I think we'll stay within driving distances for now at least until kidlets are a bit older.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I flew twice this year, once with my husband to visit our daughter who's studying abroad and the other alone to visit my sister. Both trips were enjoyable especially exploring another country when we spent time with our daughter. It isn't the traveling per se that bothered me but rather the chaos at the airport, e.g. extra long lines since more people are flying than during the pandemic, flights delayed or canceled, etc. Each time I was glad to arrive safely at my destination and then even happier to return home. No more traveling for now.

Last edited:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Day trips aside, our traveling days are over. When I was younger, I got to see a lot of places on Uncle Sam's dime, and we have seen most everything that Michele was interested in seeing. With the cats, she won't leave them overnight, even in the care of someone else, so that's that.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be up for short 2-3 day trips in the spring. I used to always take a winter trip but the weather is so iffy here at that time that I no longer have any urge to travel during it.

I have thought many times about visiting my grandparents homeland in Sicily but the travel to/from part of it is very unappealing.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I flew twice this year, once with my husband to visit our daughter who's studying abroad and the other alone to visit my sister. Both trips were enjoyable especially exploring another country when we spent time with our daughter. It isn't the traveling per se that bothered me but rather the chaos at the airport, e.g. extra long lines since more people are flying than during the pandemic, flights delayed or canceled, etc. Each time I was glad to arrive safely at my destination and then even happier to return home. No more traveling for now.
I haven't flown since before the pandemic. That is the one big deterrent now. I haven't heard about the delays and cancellations recently but I don't know if that is because it has gotten better or because it is an old story that isn't being talked about anymore. I unfortunately have a low tolerance for frustration which would make it harder for me.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m in a Greta Thunberg state of mind…if I can get there w/out harming the planet too much, great…but there is a lot to appreciate by staying put & noticing the little things.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't heard about the delays and cancellations recently but I don't know if that is because it has gotten better or because it is an old story that isn't being talked about anymore.
Our flight abroad this summer was delayed 3 plus hours and unfortunately we were in our seats waiting on the plane the entire time. I felt sorry for people with young children. And the return flight from visiting my sister was almost cancelled but ended up being delayed for over 2 hours. From staffing shortages to parts and labor shortages there's obviously still problems since I flew to see my sister less than a month ago.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could travel more but I can't really afford it. My job is ending in January (it keeps getting pushed back as we obtain more funding), so I haven't been able to commit funds to future travel. I did go to Boston and Salem in October and I was totally expecting to catch COVID, but the only thing I caught was a mild cold. Almost three years in and I still haven't got it (knock on wood).

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If I can't drive there, do my thing, and drive back in the same day I can't/won't go. Tag and I took many day trips to the shores of Lake Erie over the years, those are my kind of get aways.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've learned to "never say never", but I think my traveling days are behind me. It was different before I owned a house, and became a cat mama, but now I think I'd worry about both if I went away. So any traveling for me will likely at most be day trips.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love to travel to a number of places, but I am no longer able to walk through airports. Airports sometimes provide trams, but it's a big hassle. And I've got two cats. Getting someone to feed and scoop is difficult.