Question Of The Day, Sunday, November 11, 2018

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good afternoon! :hellocomputer:

today i woke up thinking about holiday baking, and candies. :D

for today's Question of the Day......

What are some of your favorite holiday baked items and candies? If you do baking around the holidays -- What are some of your favorite things to make for the holiday season?

i'll start!

this morning, the first thing that came to my mind was ribbon candy. i always loved that when i was a kid, but i'm not sure i'd actually still like it. :think: and then i thought of those chocolate oranges......:cloud9: followed by candy canes -- with the thought that i prefer the traditional peppermint canes, versus the many other flavors that are now available.

i do bake during the holiday season. what i bake varies from year to year. i like variety! ;) this year i plan on baking candy cane (carob) brownies, and making several flavors of fudge -- (carob) chocolate orange fudge, orange cream fudge, and candy cane fudge.

i'll bake for some Christmas gifts, and i'll bake a Cinnamon Sugar (aka, Snickerdoodle) Cake for myself at the beginning of December. i haven't decided yet, what i'll bake for the week of Christmas (for myself). i like to make something new and special each year.

How about you -- what are some of your favorites?

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like toll house cookies, peanut butter cookies with hershey kisses on top of them, fruit cake and whiskey cake.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Grandmothers stollin. Unfortunately, she died 21 years ago and I haven't had it since. My sister has the recipe and makes it every year...but she won't share.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like toll house cookies, peanut butter cookies with hershey kisses on top of them, fruit cake and whiskey cake.
your favorites are toll house cookies, peanut butter cookies with Hershey's kisses on top of them, fruit cake, and whiskey cake!!! :clap: that's awesome!! :D

hmmm...that gives me an idea......to add some carob chips to the oatmeal peanut butter cookies i usually make. :think:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We LOVE to bake. The problem is I'm not a big fan of most baked goods. Come Christmas time, give me a cookie and a stray brownie and I'm good for the next 12 months. But this is good for everyone else, because it's leaves more to share, and when we bake, it's never just for us.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Grandmothers stollin. Unfortunately, she died 21 years ago and I haven't had it since. My sister has the recipe and makes it every year...but she won't share.
your favorite is your Grandmother's stollin!!! :thumbsup: most excellent!! :)

i'm so sorry your sister won't share that special recipe. :alright:

i did some looking around online, and this stollin recipe looks like it would be really good, by King Arthur Flour (so it's a recipe that i'd trust to be very good) -- https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/our-easiest-stollen-recipe

if you read through the list of ingredients, you'll see some special ingredients that come from King Arthur -- like their Fiori di Sicilia https://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/fiori-di-sicilia-1-oz . :cloud9:

so if you wanted to bake some stollin yourself, while thinking of your Grandmother, that should be a good recipe.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite cookies are Russian Tea Cakes. I usually only have them during the holidays. I don't do much baking though. My sister-in-law makes tea cakes though, so I can rely on her for them.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know nothing of your situation, but... :alright: That just doesn't seem fair, or right.
There's something about your Grandmother's cooking that no matter what you do or how long you live or how hard you try, you can follow a recipe to the exact detail and the recreation isn't 100%. 99.9%, but not 100%.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
so if you wanted to bake some stollin yourself, while thinking of your Grandmother, that should be a good recipe.
Thanks for the recipe. But, my grandmothers parents were immigrants from Germany and this recipe has been handed down for generations, so King Arthur's just wouldn't be the same.
I'll keep trying to get it.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We LOVE to bake. The problem is I'm not a big fan of most baked goods. Come Christmas time, give me a cookie and a stray brownie and I'm good for the next 12 months. But this is good for everyone else, because it's leaves more to share, and when we bake, it's never just for us.
you love to bake, though you aren't a big fan of most baked goods!!! :clap: very nice!! :D

that's wonderful, that you bake to share with others! :cloud9:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We LOVE to bake. The problem is I'm not a big fan of most baked goods. Come Christmas time, give me a cookie and a stray brownie and I'm good for the next 12 months.
Same here, I don't really like dessert or sweets. I prefer a baked casserole if that counts as a baked good. :D

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I swear dessert could be my middle name. :lol: I love anything with chocolate in it especially dark chocolate. However, I usually make snickerdoodle cookies for the holidays. I'm going to try a new cake recipe I saw in the Sunday paper called Ina's Chocolate Chevron cake: Ina Garten's Chocolate Chevron Cake

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don’t bake. But, if it’s non-dairy I do eat! My friend makes me biscotti and I get gingerbread catmen from another friend. These hold me over pretty well until the spring birthdays roll around.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite cookies are Russian Tea Cakes. I usually only have them during the holidays. I don't do much baking though. My sister-in-law makes tea cakes though, so I can rely on her for them.
your favorite is Russian Tea Cakes, which you only have during the holidays!!! :thumbsup: great!! :)

those look really good, from the pics i saw online of them. :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same here, I don't really like dessert or sweets. I prefer a baked casserole if that counts as a baked good. :D
yes, that counts! :agree:

while you don't really like desserts or sweets, you do enjoy baked casseroles!!! :clap: awesome!! :D

i make a lot of casseroles. they've got pretty much a whole meal in each serving, just add a slice of bread and/or a salad or fruit. :yummy:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I swear dessert could be my middle name. :lol: I love anything with chocolate in it especially dark chocolate. However, I usually make snickerdoodle cookies for the holidays. I'm going to try a new cake recipe I saw in the Sunday paper called Ina's Chocolate Chevron cake: Ina Garten's Chocolate Chevron Cake
you love anything with chocolate in it, especially dark chocolate!!! :thumbsup: excellent!! :)

ahhh, snickerdoodle cookies! :cloud9: to me, cinnamon is a lovely Christmas-y spice.

Ina's Chocolate Chevron Cake!! :thud: that looks incredible!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always made shortbread cookies in the cookie press in a Christmas tree shape, then dipped them in white chocolate and sprinkled with multi-colored round sprinkles. They are to die for. They keep very well and ship well.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t bake. But, if it’s non-dairy I do eat! My friend makes me biscotti and I get gingerbread catmen from another friend. These hold me over pretty well until the spring birthdays roll around.
you enjoy biscotti and gingerbread catmen, made by friends!!! :clap: very nice!! :D

mmmm......gingerbread! :yummy:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always made shortbread cookies in the cookie press in a Christmas tree shape, then dipped them in white chocolate and sprinkled with multi-colored round sprinkles. They are to die for. They keep very well and ship well.
you make shortbread cookies using a Christmas tree shaped cookie press, then dip them in white chocolate and sprinkle with multi-colored round sprinkles!!! :cloud9: those sound incredible!! :D

shortbread cookies are one of my favorite kinds of cookies! :hearthrob:

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Christmas shortbreads, stollen, kipferl (delicious Austrian biscuits), lebkuchen, mince pies, candy canes and gingerbread. I've never liked fruitcake so I'm not a huge fan of traditional Christmas cake.
I also like marzipan.