Question of the Day - Sunday, Nov. 21st, 2010

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Morning guys! I'm taking over the Sunday question of the day, so here we go!

Do you do any online shopping? If so, what are some of your favorite online stores?

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to the qotd team

I love online shopping I get most of blaines presents on line each year do he can't see them my favourite one is for experience days out

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup I shop online all the time from amazon and sometimes ebay. The only thing I don't buy online is clothes and shoes because I always try clothes on before buying them.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Kailie, first of all thanks for taking over the Sunday question for me. I was fresh out of questions and we needed a new mind with new ideas.

I don't shop online at all. I mostly shop from the TV using HSN and QVC. I just don't like putting my credit card number out there.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, never. I have a phobia of putting my numbers out there. If I can't touch it and see just what I am getting, I don't want it.

My dh does....parts and stuff like that. But he is also very careful. Does not do it often.

Guess that is what happens when you are raised by parents who paid cash for everything or they didn't buy it. It rubbed off on me!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Kailie!

I like Amazon and eBay. This year, I've purchased quite a few items from Sur la Table, Toscano, and Penny's (for shoes and Clarks boots). I don't normally shop online for clothes b/c I like to try them on.

As for the credit card number, we keep one of our cards for online use only. We keep a very low minimum line on that card; that way if somebody does try to use it, they won't get very far. Our other cards are never used online.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by farleyv

No, never. I have a phobia of putting my numbers out there. If I can't touch it and see just what I am getting, I don't want it.
Set up paypal or get a prepaid card. The former will dispute a lot of things for you, like a credit card would, if something goes wrong. The prepaid cards are usually through Visa or Mastercard, though I'm not sure what sort of protections they have on their cards. (that reminds me, I need to update my paypal so I can buy some apps)

We do online shopping, but usually not for Christmas. Mostly because no one can ever give us a proper Christmas list or mention anything they like until sometime after Thanksgiving which messes up shipping unless we want to pay more for quicker options.
Were people able to listen to us (like a month ago when I started bugging them), than yes, we would shop online cause I hate shopping in stores.

DH and I do buy other stuff online. We live in a rural area so there's not that much to choose from locally to begin with. Usually we'll use Amazon, Newegg, and I'll buy from some cd distributors or straight from the labels for music. And from other sites that have particular items we need.
We just bought new cell phones online a few days ago because 1) we would have had to get a new contract if we had bought them locally and 2) the online site had better deals (free) and the phone I wanted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We don't have any credit cards (thanks to being young and stupid financially.
) but I do have a Paypal account set up linked to my bank account so that I can shop online. I shop at Ebay, Bidz, and a few other random sites. I love that some sites are now starting to offer Interac Online. SO convenient.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, I do a lot of shopping online because its so much easier than fighting stupid people in stores
I shop on ebay, half.com, and whatever other store I'm wanting something from at the time. We also buy a lot of car parts and stuff online.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only really ever shop online at the chapters website to buy books. Probably wont anymore since we have a book store in the city I live in now.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it weren't for ebay, poor DH wouldn't get any gifts. He is SO hard to shop for; every Christmas gift I've bought so far has come from ebay.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I occassionally online shop from Overstock, Amazon, Ebay, Macy's, Esty, Target, and some online petstores. When I do shop online, I prefer to be able to pay online through "paypal" so it's a little more secure, and I typically only shop if there's a sale/ free shipping. Another trick is to google coupon/promotion codes from the stores you shop from- sometimes you can get huge discounts, several $$ off, or free shipping depending on the situation!

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, online shopping is great!

I shop on Amazon, ebay, half.com, Thriftbooks.com, Snapfish.com, Lushusa.com (though i prefer to shop at Lush in person), and random other stores.

lotso'cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Amazon.com is a favorite of mine. I buy books, DVD's, CD's even some hard to find food items. Another favorite is Penzeys.com. They sell GREAT spices! Ebay is another great place to hard to find stuff.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kailie

We don't have any credit cards (thanks to being young and stupid financially.
) but I do have a Paypal account set up linked to my bank account so that I can shop online. I shop at Ebay, Bidz, and a few other random sites. I love that some sites are now starting to offer Interac Online. SO convenient.
I am older but soon-to-be ex bankrupted us so I don't shop on-line anymore.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I shop online all the time. I buy almost all pet supplies (except food and litter) online. Back before everybody had an internet site, I used to order from catalogs. Not much difference between online and catalog shopping.

I don't worry about my credit card number because if something happens, the credit card company will take care of it. It's just as likely that something will happen to my card number at Wal-Mart, or a restaurant, or a gas station, as online. It's just as safe. But even so, I won't use my debit card online. Don't want my checking account emptied. I also get nervous using my checking account number....I do have it on PayPal, but I wouldn't use it otherwise.

adriana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sure do! I love eBay. I have bought many handbags from there.
I usually don't buy too many clothes or shoes, but I did recently buy some Uggs that were a great price, because I know how they fit. I also use PayPal, just to be on the safe side.

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Out of necessity I do 95% of my shopping on line or over the phone. My "shopping" bookmarks are over two pages long.

In some cases I look the product up on line then call to order. This is how I got my dishwasher and air conditioner. I bought a box spring sight unseen over the phone.

When I actually do get to a real store I always over spend.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ebay, ebay and ebay
I am a total addict and I look on there for nearly everythin I need. I love it
x