Question of the Day: Sunday, May 25

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do you wear your hair? Does it depend on the season? Do you ever pay anyone to do your hair special for an event?

My hair is really long. Almost to the small of my back now. I don't change it for the seasons. I usually just get tired of it being really long and so cut it short, then regret it, grow it back out, repeat! Haha. It's not bothering me currently, though, despite being longer than I've had it in many, many years. I usually get headaches from it being too long, but I got some of the weight removed a couple of months ago. Think I'll have that done again and maybe trim a few inches off.

I haven't paid anyone to do a fancy up-do or anything since my wedding. Proms before that. I have friends who will get their hair done for parties or other events sometimes. I just don't have the money for that.

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My hair is half way down my back and I almost always wear it down and keep it long regardless of season. I used to be really self conscious about showing my neck for some reason, and I just find it more comfortable to keep it down. My hair is parted off towards the left side, so I usually end up putting my bangs behind my ears to keep them out of the way (but I think I look better when it's not behind my ears.. it's just less practical). I've only had my hair done professionally once when I was a bridesmaid for my brother and sister-in-law (so I didn't have a choice, but even then I chose a down-do).

I only wear my hair up in a ponytail when I'm sweltering or working in a food prep area/if my job requires it. Sometimes if I have a long workout session, I'll wear it in a bun that ends up falling out, accompanied by a headband. I have a multi-use curler/hot iron thing if I want to look fancy without paying, but I've never used it, lol. I used my hot roller set once for Halloween.

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to do so much with my hair.  Homemade flax seed gel, Eco-Styler gel, a hard hold gel, and shea butter to scrunch the crunch out...I do the curly-girl way of hair care because I'm a fine-stranded wavy blonde.  That means I avoid certain silicones, and I only use sulfates occasionally.  Generally I use conditioner to "wash" my hair.  I don't do a lot of styling anymore, mostly because I'm not happy with this last cut.  I think I'm going to try a new stylist next time.  Each cut seems to get worse.  She's making chunks instead of layers. 

I've always done my own hair for special events.  I'm not opposed to someone else doing it, I'm just cheap.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Short. It has enough body I don't perm. But I am thinking of getting a shorter pixie cut.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was mid back length but right before easter I got it cut to a bit past my shoulders.
It's normally worn in a ponytail cause I have 2 toddlers. But if we're going to a family function I blow it out and wear it down til one of the kiddos gets food in it.
I've only gotten my hair done 2 times. One for New Years party. It was a braided updo and then for my wedding. Curled and pinned up with baby roses in it.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
When I'm working outside, my hair is always pulled back into a pony tail. Otherwise, I wash it, dry it, and go.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My hair was about to the waist band of my jeans when I had about 13 inches cut off this past February.  It was getting ridiculous.  I woke up with it tangled around my neck a few times!    After the cut it was angled a bit so it would brush over my shoulders but a bit of my neck was exposed at the collar of my shirts.  My neck was cold.
  Ever since I mostly wear it down.  I have to blow dry it to keep it straight but it only takes about 5 minutes vs 15 or more when it was longer.  It's finally long enough to put in a little pony tail again; which is nice for summer.  I'm guilty of the wet pony tail for just about every day.  Or a half pony tail when it's really long (and heavy!). 

Last edited:

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've got extremely long hair and it is getting to be ridiculous. When I was 18, I had dreadlocks and had to shave my head to get rid of them. It was pretty traumatic and I have been growing it ever since (20 years). I have been wanting to get it cut for a few months but cannot decide if I want bangs. I haven't had bangs since middle school and still remember how horrible growing them out was. Today, I think I want bangs, tomorrow, I'll change my mind. Again.

The only person who has cut my hair on the past eight years is my husband (who has gorgeous auburn, curly hair as long as mine, maybe longer because of the curl). He did a good job the first time, and I must have over-complimented him because he got cocky the second time. Instead of a blunt cut to take off the ends, he tried to round it and shape it. Not good. That about 4 years ago and I haven't had it cut since. I noticed the other day in the shower that my hair is touching the backs of my knees. Ridiculous. I need to make a decision. If I don't get bangs and a very serious trim, I've been seriously considering dreadlocks again. I'm not working and probably won't be for several months, so it would be enough time to get through the unsightly, messy, fuzz and separation stage.

My hair is either braided or tied in a knot at the nape of my neck. Or I do a high ponytail, wrap the hair around, and secure it with an elastic or three. It would be kind of like a bun if I didn't have so much hair. I rarely brush it, other than when it is almost dry after washing, and I only wash it once a week. It just doesn't get dirty, probably because it is thick and there is a lot of it. For special events, I either pull the top back or french braid it. We don't do many fancy events, lol!

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was growing it when I came here. It was long wsorrow
married. Since then I've had it long short long ridiculously short normal short now im growing it. It's just past my shoulders. I either wear it in a pony tail or up with a big clip thing with teeth to keep it up

I go to the hairdressers every month to 6 weeks to colour it to cover all the grey hair and occasionally to redo my highlights. My colour was extremely dsfk brown. Now it's dark blonde with streaks. Doesn't look common
When I wash it i part dry it with the hairdryer and then brush it and put it up in a ponytail.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have long hair - love it this way, and it is much easier to manage. Unlike many others, short hair is difficult for me to work with. I have very baby fine, curly/wavy hair, with lots of natural body - when short it gets very curly, very frizzy/poofy. Last time I had it short, around chin length, it was a lot of work to take care of and tame it. High maintenance, and needed  a lot of products and fix ups. Ugh, didn't like it at all. Imagine how it would be if it were to be even shorter than chin length.

Anyhoo, I highly enjoy wearing it in many different ways. I love classical and unique/interesting styles when putting my hair up. Other times it is in a braid, down, half up, ponytail or in a bun. Often it is in its wavy state, other times I'll straighten it.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My hair is half down my back (bra strap length, lol)  It's naturally wavy/curly (get more curl w/ a dish diffuser), but I have to wear it up in a bun every day, sense I'm cleaning houses now.  The only think about that is my scalp gets sore wearing it in a bun all the time, so I try to change bun positions. Some days high, some days low.  I also have to put it up most of the time to sleep, or I will roll on it & it pulls.

When I have cur it short, I didn't have much curl left, just big cow lick waves! 

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, Thanks!!  It's actually pretty easy. I just did the twist down the sides, like you would if doing a ponytail that way. (I use a clip to hold the first side while I twist the other side)  I put that in a pony tail, then

divided the pony tail into 4 or 5 sections. I take each section, twist it,  & twist it around into a bun, building one after the other. The first couple I can usually get tucked into the ponytail binder, but have to pin the rest.

The decorative pins are just added at the end for decoration.