Question of the Day: Sunday May, 22

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry - I am very late today. It's already dark here in Germany but I've been very busy lately and then my daughter put my name down to attend a one-day sewing event "One day - one project" in order to make up the numbers. I am not a good needlewoman though I did make a few things at school (apron and blouse), hand-sewed a summer dress for school - a shirt-waister with soft pleats, wide belt, shirt front and collar from a Vogue pattern. (How did I manage that?) Since then a few items for my daughters, when they were small, and various failures for myself.

I was expecting semi-professionals to attend the course but knew my own limitations. I purchased a simple (easy Burda) pattern for a top 👕 (or mini-dress) and enough material for my top with plenty left over for my daughter to make herself something later.

At the start of the day we were measured - bust, waist, hips and various lengths. My measurements corresponded to 3 different clothing sizes so I was instructed to make the largest size! Having cut it out, completed the neck and sewn the shoulder seams, I tried it on over my clothes and it fell over my shoulders! By the end of the day, my project was a shapeless poncho, and, although it no longer fell off my shoulders, a lot of material would still have to be cut away before I will be able to sew up the side seams again. I know why I don't much like dressmaking for myself - I'm a very strange shape!

The others attending the course were maybe more ambitious than I was, but they all had their problems. One woman had made her dress 👗 a size too small and had to insert strips up the sides to make it more comfortable. Many spent the day trying to get their sewing machines to behave and the overlock machine refused to cooperate. But, when things go wrong in good company, it's not nearly so frustrating as when you are sitting on your own and making no progress. At least we all had a good laugh when my daughter told her story about how she managed to cut out 5 sleeves for a jacket!

Have you made your own clothes, (or furniture)? Any amusing experiences you would like to share?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't. The best I ever did regarding making something was a sort of goldfish 🐠 shaped thingie to stick pins into in highschool, and it was hilariously awful lol! 🙂

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I learned to sew quite young and then took home economics in high school so I have sewed quite a few garments. I don’t know of any of them that I considered wearable though. I can make a darn fine apron though. As far as furniture, I have unholstered a couple chairs and sofas which does require sewing. Those turned out much better than my clothing attempts. I wouldn’t consider it amusing but in the midst of reupholstering a chair I was using a magnetic tack hammer and managed to nail my thumb to the chair.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I don't. The best I ever did regarding making something was a sort of goldfish 🐠 shaped thingie to stick pins into in highschool, and it was hilariously awful lol! 🙂
Ha! Amateur! I had to make a dress in Home Ec in high school, and I sewed the sleeves to the inside of the dress. :lol: Several times when I’ve sewed buttons on a shirt, I sewed the shirt to my pant leg because I was using my leg as a table. So to answer your question, gilmargl gilmargl , no, I don’t make my own clothes. :biggrin:

My husband makes beautiful Mission-style furniture.
2460EFE4-71A8-42F6-BA53-8B54E426D882.jpeg
2F708045-B165-48E3-91E7-42150CE57D1B.jpeg

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing that could be considered clothing was a shop apron that I made for print shop in the 8th grade, but I had learned how to sew before that.
As far as furniture, I have built tables, bookcases and cabinets, as well as a whole bunch of non-furniture wood or metal projects.
And, of course, Michele made her own wedding dress from scratch.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I can sew by hand but nothing major like an outfit. However, I can knit, crochet and do needlepoint. Does that count? DH has refinished antique furniture but never actually built it.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only time I sewed was for Home Ec. I made a skirt and it was my lowest grade ever- 88, besides Art class which gave me an 82. All my other grades were 97 and above usually. So not very creative, just book smart. I never wore the skirt, it was kinda ugly!

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 40 Before 40 bucket list and one of the items is to crochet something I would wear but I haven't done it yet (I still have a little more than 4 years). I know how to sew but I honestly do not have the time to add another hobby to my life, so someday, I might take up sewing, but that isn't going to be soon.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to do quite a bit of sewing back in the day for myself,family,neighbors and friends.Made a lot of clothing along the way.My Mom was pretty good at it,and she taught me,plus I took Home Ec as well.My mother in law was also quite the seamstress too.Taught me a bunch about making quilts.I don't sew very much at all now...these hands don't do what they used to anymore.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I learned to sew as a teenager, and from that point on into my thirties, I made almost all of my clothes and clothes for my two sons. At that point, I realized ready-to-wear clothing was almost as cheap, and I stopped sewing. I primarily sewed to save money, and when I first started, homemade clothes were about 40% of the cost as buying ready-made.

I've reupholstered furniture, from one long sofa to dining room chairs. We ran across the dining room chairs about five years ago when we cleared out my ex-husband's house, and I have to say I did a pretty good job. I refinished the wood and sewed new seat covers. They looked quite new although they were about 75 years old.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I haven't sewn in over 10 years, but I have. I just don't have room for a sewing machine. I've made a few skirts, a dress and some shorts. I kind of would like to get back to it, but finding fabric shops is hard. I do crochet though. Hooks take up less space than a sewing machine!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did learn to sew as a child. Little things like darning socks, popped seams, buttons...etc. I also learned to use a machine and made a pair of shorts in school. I would like to start sewing, it's one of my many goals, but don't have my own machine.
I also want to start making things out of wood, would love to try stain glass...and so many other things...

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mother was a whiz at sewing (at every craft), but me not so much. It was required to take sewing in Junior high, so I bought a pattern for a skirt that looked simple enough. I very clearly remember pinning and cutting the pattern so carefully, only to find out I had both sides of the cloth pinned and cut a big hole in the second section. The other memory I have is getting to class early and sitting down at one of the machines to get set up...only to "break" it. I panicked and moved to another machine before anybody got in there. I wouldn't do that now, I'd own up to it, but I was just scared back then. Not sure I ever finished the skirt.

I do knit and have made sweaters and such, but I just started back up during the pandemic, so I've been sticking to easy stuff like afghans and dish cloths. Here is one I made without doing a swatch or trying it on. Even when I was heavier, I could have fit two of me in this one.

20201009_082100.jpg

I made a bunch of these for Christmas presents once, they came out better.

20201009_083520.jpg

I may attempt another sweater one of these days, but for now keeping it simple
20201227_195032.jpg

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I limit my sewing to things like curtains and pillows. I made one quilt for DD's baby dolls. Occasionally I will take a dress in at the arms for her. I took sewing lessons when I was in my late elementary school years and my grandma used to teach me some basics. I might be able to follow a simple pattern if I take my time and consult some instructions; but I don't have any real desire.

My bestie is amazing; so if I wanted a handmade dress or something I'd just pay her (she doesn't do home stuff though). She loves to take vintage patterns and make herself clothing. I don't wear dresses often because they are hard to fit my proportions too. She could probably make me one that would work; but unless I find some kind of event I don't see the point. Her time is valuable and I won't shortchange her. So normally I just get her to do things like hem my jeans or fix special occasion dresses for DD. My mother has had her make several dresses and they always turn out beautiful.

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My mum taught me the basics, but I have yet to actually try anything. I just can't get myself to do it for some reason. I also have a blanket knitted, I just need to finish the last row but keep procrastinating it