Question Of The Day, Sunday, May 13, 2018

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like potato salad made with Yukon Gold potatoes. I also like chicken salad made with rotisserie chicken and I like egg salad.
potato salad made with Yukon Gold potatoes, chicken salad made with rotisserie chicken...:cloud9:, and egg salad are your favorites!!! :clap: those are all great salads!! :yummy:

i don't believe i've ever had Yukon Gold potatoes. :dunno: looking into them online, they sound like a wonderful, even ideal potato! :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pasta, antipasto, Greek salads, garden with any number of things added. Fruit salad is good depending on what you call fruit salad. No watergate salad for me please. Potato and macaroni are good. Seafood salad us a yummy treat!

The romaine recall situation is making things rough for me. We eat a lot of salad year round. I like the romaine blends or butter lettuce but we've been getting the spring mix or half & half blends. There isn't much I don't like or won't eat food wise. But man I'm choking those down. Literally gagging sometimes. I just don't care for a bowl of weeds.
you really enjoy quite a variety of types of salad!!! :thumbsup: awesome!! :)

ahhh, fruit salad! :yess: i love fruit salad, though i rarely have it. one of my favorite breakfasts is fresh fruit, diced and with a little milk poured over it. :yummy: i also love jello with fruit in it.

i'd read about the romaine recall. :headshake:

that made me wonder about some ways various types of lettuce might be grown indoors during the winter months, but that might also be grown indoors all year long. i did some looking into, and here's a couple interesting and do-able ways to do it --

https://gardenseason.com/growing-lettuce-indoors/

i particularly liked the DIY Mini Kratky Hydroponics System. that seemed like a pretty easy thing to put together, as well as not overly expensive -- a very nice little project! hmmm...i might just put together one of those! :think: and the article went over how to harvest lettuce, that if you leave the roots and middle parts, you can have a 'continual harvest'.

Growing lettuce indoors, urban gardening: Gardener's Supply

this article brought up good things to consider when growing lettuce indoors -- like the best amount of sunlight each day, not too hot or having cool/cold drafts, and of course our cats ... who might like to munch on tender lettuce leaves...:nono:

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My current favorite is the chicken Mediterranean salad from Wendy’s.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
your favorite is a salad you make with grape tomatoes, ranch dressing, and finely chopped basil!!! :cloud9: that sounds like it would be very good!! :agree:

and a very good reason to grow some basil too! :D
I have 15 grape tomato plants, four sweet basil and one Thai basil plants in the garden. I just can't get the ranch dressing to grow, though.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like tuna salad made with yogurt, dill and red grapes.
your favorite is tuna salad with yogurt, dill, and red grapes!!! :clap: that sounds really yummy!! :agree:

hmmm......:think: i love yogurt and grapes, and dill is one of my favorite spices. i think i'll try them together in this tuna salad! :yummy: thank you for sharing this salad idea!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love a good Caesar salad. I'm making my Caesar salads now with a variety of lettuces and such right now because of the romaine thing going on. It's not bad overall, but I do miss romaine.

I love my layered salad. At family picnics, my sister and brother will fight over the layered salad. They're hilarious. It's just whatever I have on hand: lettuces, chopped red onion, sliced peppers, carrots, tomatoes, crispy bacon pieces, broccoli, cauliflower, a handful or two of frozen peas, the topping, and then some shredded cheese for over the top. I used to take that salad to work at the paper plant for our dinners and parties and even guys who said they didn't like salad always chowed down on it.

I love a good potato salad. Like @blueyedgirl5946 I prefer Yukon gold potatoes, but I'll take nice red potatoes, too. No russets because I think they get too mushy when they're cooked. I cook the potatoes, drain them well, then throw them back into the pan with a good dollop of white wine vinegar mixed with a dollop of EV olive oil. Gives the potatoes a nice tang. And, while I'm not a big salt person, I do think that potato salad does need a bit of salt.

And there's nothing like a simple chopped salad sometimes, too. Maybe with some honey French dressing. Or thousand island. Yum.
you love Caesar salad, potato salad, simple chopped salad, and you make what sounds like a wonderful layered salad!!! :thumbsup: awesome!! :)

along with sounding really tasty, your layered salad sounds great for using up various veggies and etc! :yess:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I know I'm a day late on the question of the day but can't resist because I love salads.

My favorite favorite type of salad is a seafood cobb salad. McCormick and Schmick's has a great one with lobster and crab, but I make them at home a lot with crab claw meat and turkey bacon. I skip the hard boiled eggs, but blue cheese crumbles are a must. And sometimes I sneak some artichoke hearts in, too. And roasted pepitas.
seafood cobb salad is your favorite!!! :clap: excellent!! :D

mmmm...blue cheese!! :cloud9:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 15 grape tomato plants, four sweet basil and one Thai basil plants in the garden. I just can't get the ranch dressing to grow, though.
:lol:

i just bought three cherry tomato plants, at the local produce auction. :cloud9: i've taken note of how you use containers to grow plants, and will be setting things up here to do similar!