Question of the Day: Sunday, March 26

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wishing you all a very "Good morning!" on this cold, dark, wet and windy day. Our clocks have just been put forward, so having lost an hour's sleep, the only positive indication of better things to come are the daffodils - planted more than 40 years ago - which, although reduced in number, still faithfully reappear at this time of year to brave the March winds.
The short poem, my Dad used to quote (attributed to ee cummings or Ogden Nash but made famous at least in London where I lived by Spike Milligan) always comes to my mind at this time of year. I thought at the time it was a Cockney piece of nonsense - and pieces of nonsense (like Latin declensions) stay in your head forever!
1679819409493.png
da spring is sprung
da grass is riz
I wonder where dem boidies is?
da little boids is on der wing
ain’t dat absoid?
da little wings is on da boid!
At school learning by heart William Wordworth's "I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud" in English lessons and painting pictures of trees in the springtime during art classes were rituals at this time of year. We cut hazelnut (catkins) and horse chestnut (sticky buds) twigs and put them in vases. Visits to local parks and woods with their daffodils followed in May by carpets of bluebells helped to blow away the winter blues and gave us the feeling that "all's right with the world". Unfortunately, seeing buds appearing on the trees against a brilliant blue sky often makes me emotional and tearful.

I definitely feel more stable in the fall and much prefer the autumn.

Are you a spring, summer, autumn or winter person?
1679822897019.png
(Pictures courtesy of Pixabay)

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I need the longer days, the sun... I am a Spring / Summer and Fall person.. Not a Winter person at all. I can do without the shorter, dark grey days, with the cold, snow, etc..
If I never have to deal with snow again, and short, grey, cold days; I will be much happier.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Spring. I love the longer days, warmer weather, and flowers. Plus, it's the promise of more warm weather. The fall just means shorter days and a long, cold, dreary winter. I hate the cold.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like Autumn. The smell and chill in the air are so refreshing. It is a time to wind down. spring is nice to see all the rebirth. but it is WAY to busy and exhausting with the million and one things to do. We have flower beds and a garden. Plus the weeds love spring too! Plus a huge lawn.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spring and summer are okay, as I can get out and work on the garden and watch the flowers and vegetables grow. Overall, however, I prefer autumn, especially as the leaves turn red, gold, and orange. It is a sight to behold.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Autumn. Spring and summer are extremely busy, and while it's nice to be outside, by the time late August hits I'm ready to wind down and break out my sweatshirts and crock pot.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My favorite is Autumn. A lot of people don't like Autumn because Winter is next. For me unless Winter is one of those where we seem to stay stuck in an Arctic Vortex and it stays unusually cold, I prefer Winter to Summer. I have never done well with heat and humidity. Maybe that is why I prefer Autumn over Spring, Summer follows Spring.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Summer all the way...but I prefer late summer when the bugs aren't as bad. :D

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I love summer because the days are longer. We can work in the garden, we can work in the flower beds. I can sit on the Shed deck in the afternoons and watch the squirrels play in the yard. The pool is open and, after a day working in the yard, I can flop in the pool to cool down. We eat outside, we grill outside more often.

But, like N NY cat man mentioned, the leaves are stunning in the fall. And the air gets a little crisp with its own tang of what's to come.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I love summer. I love going outside without having to look for hats and gloves and jackets, or even socks. I love opening the windows and letting in fresh air. I love the long days that start before I get up, and end just before I go to bed. I love sitting on my deck and reading. I love seeing my neighbours and chatting, instead of just waving when we're either running in the door, or shoveling snow. I love the flowers and green grass (as long as summer isn't too hot and dry). I really love everything about summer, well except for the humidity. That I could do without.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Depending where you live the seasons may differ. Where I live we get four seasons with some extreme temps, i.e. winter can be excruciatingly cold with blizzards or delightfully comforting with freshly fallen snow and sitting by the fireplace. ❄ Summer on the other hand brings unbearable humidity and it feels like the heat gets more intense every year. 😰 So my favorite season has and still is Autumn. As a child it represented the start of the school year and as a teacher it was the start of a new group of students. But the temps are perfect for me and the changing fall colors are splendid. I also enjoy pumpkin everything and a new crop of apples.🍁

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate the heat and humidity,so as much as I don't like to admit it,I guess I'm a winter person.Here there really isn't much of an autumn...it's still hot and humid then too.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I lived up north I would have said Spring and Summer. Winters were horrific. Fall is Winter's opening act. The changing colors meant raking thousands of leaves. No thank you. They are only pretty on the tree.

Now that I'm Florida I'd say winter. What WE call winter. I can finally shut the AC off and open the windows. I don't own a winter coat, gloves, hats or scarves. If it's chilly in the morning I can put on a cardigan knowing it will be warm enough later in the day that I can take it off if I want to. I can keep the door to the screen room open a little so the girls can go out back for some fresh air and safely watch the wildlife. There's no such thing as fall here and that's fine with me. No one lives here for the summers. They are long, hot and humid. They don't bother me though. Every time I think about griping about the heat, I remind myself that it doesn't snow here and instantly feel better. Yes. I hate snow that much.