Question Of The Day, Sunday, March 18, 2018

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning! :hellocomputer:

today i'll be continuing work on the list for my next grocery shopping. i've got my lunch and breakfast meals to plan, then add anything i need for those, to my list. and i've got a change, of which store i'll be buying one item.

so with these thoughts on my mind......

Do you notice when grocery store item packages shrink in size, but the price remains the same? Does this bother you, or annoy you?

i'll start!

i definitely notice when package sizes at the grocery store shrink, and the price remains the same. it makes me feel that the manufacturer of the item is being sneaky, underhanded, and the grocery store is complicit in this......game. :disappointed:

this used to be a 'pet peeve' of mine, but not any longer. these days, i simply make adjustments and move forward. for example, the last time i went shopping i had margarine on my list. i had been buying the country crock brand, in the 80 ounce container -- the price was lower per pound than the margarine Aldi's sells. but this last shopping trip, the country crock 80 ounce containers had shrunk by 16 ounces(!!), while the price remained the same. my reaction was, 'nope, not going to be buying that' :nono:, and will switch to buying my margarine from Aldi's. :D

and i've been thinking about that on and off, since that shopping trip. i think it's a...'vicious cycle' for the grocery stores. i don't know how many people do as i do, refuse to buy items that have experienced the 'shrink and (price) gouge' treatment. but the more items that undergo that 'treatment', the fewer items i buy from that store. i've read that many grocery stores are having a hard time competing with the lower prices available in stores such as Aldi's, and even (to some extent) Walmart. and that's what i mean by a vicious cycle. these grocery stores are (to some extent) struggling to compete, but allowing items that have undergone the 'shrink and (price) gouge' treatment to be sold in their store can actually result in losing business, driving away customers.

the other thing is, that if the price of margarine were to get what i would consider overly high for what it is, i'd simply buy butter instead. i'd even feel comfortable buying a high quality butter and spending more for it -- like Kerrygold, or some Amish roll butter :cloud9:, and just soften a bit as needed then use like margarine. i'd feel that i was getting my money's worth, buying a high quality butter -- as opposed to an overpriced margarine.

hmmm...it seems that i've actually been thinking about the margarine thing, more than i'd realized. :think:

so, do you notice, and how do you feel about it?

Kreatorcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I notice,for sure. But it doesnt bother me too much because I have a philosophy...

If i want something specific,either type or brand,i dont care what it costs. If I'm just having fast food,i dont care...feed me. But if i am cooking,i want what i consider the best ingredients. Same thing applies when choosing what i buy for drinking at home or in the truck. I know WHAT I want,and i dont want something else. And for me,spending more for the foodstuffs i want is such a small percentage it doesnt bother me. Good food and drink is one of the great luxuries we have here,so I enjoy it when i can.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm infuriated by the whole thing.

When a bar of baking chocolate decreases by half, then I have to buy two bars to make brownies. When a cake mix decreases by 3 ounces, then I have to buy two cake mixes to get the size I wanted originally. Or add 3 ounces of flour to the mix. When a six-pack of Jell-O pudding becomes a four-pack, then it's not enough to get us through the week for lunches.

And the manufacturers must think the American housewife is stupid. "Oh, the cake mix is fine! It still bakes up and it's fine!" Liars! It is not fine. Quite some time ago, one of my GFs used a cake mix and she came into work wondering why her cake wasn't baked to a decent size. She didn't realize that cake mixes are now 15.25 ounces instead of the 18.25 ounces they used to be.

A five-pound bag of sugar is now four pounds. That bar of baking chocolate that's only four ounces now? The price is still the same. Exactly the same. I'll pay a little more for the same weight. Stop the hassle. Please.

I no longer use cake mixes; it's not worth the hassle. I no longer buy store puddings and such.

It's not the idea that I can afford to buy what I want; it's the idea that the manufacturers must think we're so stupid we don't notice what's going on. Several years ago, the price of cereal had gotten so ridiculous that even manufacturers made a huge deal of reducing cereal prices. But have you noticed? Since then? The prices have gone right back up. And I get that it's hard for manufacturers, too. But for crying out loud, stop treating me like I have no brain. Stop making the product sound like it's better, but smaller. It's gotten so that "New & Improved!!!" simply means less of it.

Sorry, you got me. This is something that really, really fries my eggs. (Oh, and speaking of eggs.....sorry, I just can't help it. Eggs are ridiculously expensive, too. But at least they still come 12 to a carton, although I think you can get just six if you want.)

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I've not only noticed the prices have gone up but the packages have decreased in size so you're paying more but getting less. :angryfire: I try to support the local midwest stores as opposed to the big chains. But at the end of the day like Kreatorcat Kreatorcat said, if there's something specific I want I will buy it for myself BUT compensate somewhere else. I don't eat out that much anymore so I rationalize even if I spend a little extra on a grocery item it's still cheaper than going to a restaurant.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

When a bar of baking chocolate decreases by half, then I have to buy two bars to make brownies. When a cake mix decreases by 3 ounces, then I have to buy two cake mixes to get the size I wanted originally. Or add 3 ounces of flour to the mix. When a six-pack of Jell-O pudding becomes a four-pack, then it's not enough to get us through the week for lunches.

And the manufacturers must think the American housewife is stupid. "Oh, the cake mix is fine! It still bakes up and it's fine!" Liars! It is not fine. Quite some time ago, one of my GFs used a cake mix and she came into work wondering why her cake wasn't baked to a decent size. She didn't realize that cake mixes are now 15.25 ounces instead of the 18.25 ounces they used to be.

A five-pound bag of sugar is now four pounds. That bar of baking chocolate that's only four ounces now? The price is still the same. Exactly the same. I'll pay a little more for the same weight. Stop the hassle. Please.

I no longer use cake mixes; it's not worth the hassle. I no longer buy store puddings and such.

It's not the idea that I can afford to buy what I want; it's the idea that the manufacturers must think we're so stupid we don't notice what's going on. Several years ago, the price of cereal had gotten so ridiculous that even manufacturers made a huge deal of reducing cereal prices. But have you noticed? Since then? The prices have gone right back up. And I get that it's hard for manufacturers, too. But for crying out loud, stop treating me like I have no brain. Stop making the product sound like it's better, but smaller. It's gotten so that "New & Improved!!!" simply means less of it.

Sorry, you got me. This is something that really, really fries my eggs. (Oh, and speaking of eggs.....sorry, I just can't help it. Eggs are ridiculously expensive, too. But at least they still come 12 to a carton, although I think you can get just six if you want.)
I'm with you and it's SO annoying. I also noticed the sugar went from 5 to 4 pounds. I agree about just raising the price a bit instead of making something smaller. They really do think we are all stupid. Yes, the cereal prices didgo down for a while and are now back through the roof again so I only buy cereal when it's BOGO.

The "new and improved"thing has always infuriated me. An item cannot be both. If it's NEW it has not been around before. If it's IMPROVED it has been around before but now it's "better". Yeah right. We all know it really means SMALLER.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't noticed much of that happening here, but some family size packages have higher price per weight than smaller packages, so it is more economical to get many small packages, which is not so ecological because of many wrappings etc.

What bothers me is that when product I'm using disappears completely, stores here tend to swap products so that often I can't find what I want anymore.

That is not so big issue now, but when I was limited to only small grocery store, it did go so far that in a year I had to change diet several times.

New and improved annoys too, perfectly good product often ruined. How come some products manage just fine even they have been made with same recipe from 1800's and some they change every few years and usually to worse?

There really is more than 50% unneeded products at grocery stores from my point of view, surely they could have space to keep old good products available and not changing line ups constantly, that has been most annoying to me though.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes the package is still the same size but holds less food. Like plastic jars. It might seem normal size but the indentation at the bottom of the jar might be bigger so there's less food in the jar than before.

Cartons of juice used to be 64 oz but it's less now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I notice,for sure. But it doesnt bother me too much because I have a philosophy...

If i want something specific,either type or brand,i dont care what it costs. If I'm just having fast food,i dont care...feed me. But if i am cooking,i want what i consider the best ingredients. Same thing applies when choosing what i buy for drinking at home or in the truck. I know WHAT I want,and i dont want something else. And for me,spending more for the foodstuffs i want is such a small percentage it doesnt bother me. Good food and drink is one of the great luxuries we have here,so I enjoy it when i can.
you notice the shrinking packages, but it doesn't bother you too much!!! :thumbsup: very nice!! :)

that sounds like a good philosophy! :agree:

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I notice and it really bothers me. I wouldn't mind so much if they left the size of container the same but just raised the price. But by shrinking the package, I'll look to another brand.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

you're infuriated by the 'shrink and (price) gouge' treatment of items at the grocery stores!!! :clap: i can totally understand that!! :D

i think that's where it all started (??), with the shrinking of the cake mixes. and my reaction to that was the same as yours -- i no longer use cake mixes. i never tried one of the shrunk (15.25 ounce) cake mixes, i knew that wasn't going to magically make the same sized/height cake. and this is that 'vicious cycle' i was talking about too. they shrink the cake mixes, then some/many consumers no longer buy them. so now the companies (pillsbury, duncan hines, and etc) start to feel the loss of revenue. since i stopped buying their products, i don't know if they started shrinking the cake mixes further, or shrunk other of their products.

i'll just insert here -- i want my 8 ounce yogurt cups back!! 6 ounce cups just don't 'do it' for me, i end up eating two of them at a time.

i never understood why bags of sugar are now 4 pounds, why they had to shrink them. :dunno:

honestly, i would rather have had the prices go up on the items, than have them shrunk. while i wouldn't enjoy the price increase, i'd be able to adjust to it.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I've noticed it with Chips Ahoy cookies. The package is the same size, but the cookies themselves are smaller! That made me mad!(and tasted gross too. Another peeve is when they chance the recipes and don't tell anyone)

Wenda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess I haven't noticed that. Although, I have noticed candy bar and snack chip bags increase in size which I find quite worrisome (oh, society :disappointed:...would it kill a convenience store to sell a veggie or two?). Although I guess I also get fed up with what LTS3 LTS3 mentioned about the deceptive packaging. I mean, besides being super rude (constantly trying to trick and "outsmart" consumers), it's also not very environmentally friendly (wasted plastic, cardboard, and gas to transport because if they made the packages fit the product they'd be able to transport more for less).

I noticed you mentioned Aldi's micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom . Does it bug you they charge for the carts?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does it bug you they charge for the carts?
You get your quarter back when you put the cart back in the right place. Or at least that's how they do it here.

I agree; I'd rather have them keep the size the same and raise the price. It's annoying when you buy a certain kind of juice, partly because you like it, but also partly because it comes in a half-gallon jug that you use to fill the dog water dish. And suddenly your juice jug doesn't completely fill the dog dish. . .hmm, what, now it's 54 ounces instead?!? Nope.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It irritates me, too. The biggest problem is that the new sizes won't work in treasured recipes. I have a yummy recipe for tuna casserole that calls for a 7-oz can of tuna. Since when has a can of tuna come in a 7-oz can? They are all 5 oz now. I've used part of a large can, but it's just not the same. I used to buy a 1-lb bar of chocolate to put on a toffee bar cookie, but when my DIL asked for the recipe, I didn't know what to tell her. I think that huge bar is now down to 8 oz. The recipe originally called for four 6-oz chocolate bars. That's 24 oz!

I didn't know about the cake mixes, so I'm glad to get the heads up. Making them from scratch isn't that hard, so I'll stick to that.

Have you noticed that the 1-lb cans of veggies and sauces are now 14-oz?

Kreatorcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I guess that its just that there are other things within my control to be bothered about. Letting the stuff i cant control like this wind me up would be pointless for my well being. I'm not gonna switch brands,i like what i like. I'm not gonna switch to a cheaper product,because i have usually found them to be inferior IMO. Have I complained to a manufacturer about receiving bad product,yes I have. And I have complained to a manager at a grocery store/restaurant etc for bad service. So I do understand you guys frustrations with shrinking packaging and pricing.

Wenda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You get your quarter back when you put the cart back in the right place. Or at least that's how they do it here.
Ohh, yeah, I guess that would make sense. I never actually used a cart from Aldi's. Never had a quarter lol

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never had a quarter lol
Haha, I rarely use cash (some Aldi stores don't take cards but the ones in Sioux Falls do), so I actually have to keep a quarter in the emergency cash pocket in my car organizer, or I won't have one when I go to Aldi. I wonder what they'll do when cashless becomes even more common. . .

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I've not only noticed the prices have gone up but the packages have decreased in size so you're paying more but getting less. :angryfire: I try to support the local midwest stores as opposed to the big chains. But at the end of the day like Kreatorcat Kreatorcat said, if there's something specific I want I will buy it for myself BUT compensate somewhere else. I don't eat out that much anymore so I rationalize even if I spend a little extra on a grocery item it's still cheaper than going to a restaurant.
you've noticed, and it's irritating to you!!! :thumbsup: i 'get' that!! :)

yes, the 'double whammy' -- shrink the package and the price goes up! :(

you do buy specific items sometimes, but will compensate somewhere else. that sounds like how i handle the few 'specialty' items i buy every so often -- it all has to be carefully planned for in my budget. :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm with you and it's SO annoying. I also noticed the sugar went from 5 to 4 pounds. I agree about just raising the price a bit instead of making something smaller. They really do think we are all stupid. Yes, the cereal prices didgo down for a while and are now back through the roof again so I only buy cereal when it's BOGO.

The "new and improved"thing has always infuriated me. An item cannot be both. If it's NEW it has not been around before. If it's IMPROVED it has been around before but now it's "better". Yeah right. We all know it really means SMALLER.
you do notice the shrinking packages, and find it really annoying!!! :clap: yup, it is annoying!! :D

you know, i was thinking about the bags of sugar shrinking, and something crossed my mind. could it be that for some items, they decided to shrink the package size because increasing the price would bring the cost into the range of overly high for what it is...and consumers might very well have decided not to buy it/to 'revolt'...? :think:

i hadn't seen the whole cereal thing -- when prices dropped, then went back up through the roof. i make/bake my own cereals now, though i do buy plain corn flakes from Aldi's sometimes -- a good sized box, for a reasonable price. and occasionally, the produce auction will have cereals available too.

yes, 'new and improved'! those companies really aren't fooling us. :headshake:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Ohh, yeah, I guess that would make sense. I never actually used a cart from Aldi's. Never had a quarter lol
Haha, I rarely use cash (some Aldi stores don't take cards but the ones in Sioux Falls do), so I actually have to keep a quarter in the emergency cash pocket in my car organizer, or I won't have one when I go to Aldi. I wonder what they'll do when cashless becomes even more common. . .
Can you get shopping cart tokens there? I live in Germany, and all the supermarkets have that type of cart. I have a keychain with a chip you can pop in and out, but you can also get little plastic tokens for a few cents or for free at several stores. Etsy or ebay might have them.

Smaller packages at the old price have become the norm here, too. :rolleyes: I'd rather pay a bit more for the old weight.