Question of the Day: Sunday, June 4

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:grouphug:
Good Morning! It's going to be another hot, sunny day so I've slipped into a sundress and will take myself outside to do some more weeding before reading a book or knitting in the shade. Grass mites will not appear for another few weeks so I'm going to try to improve my skin colour now! Grey is never flattering but :sunshine::tree: I'm hoping to get a light tan.

Today is "National Hug Your Cat Day!" I didn't need a TCS Newsletter to inform me that hugging is not necessarily something a cat enjoys.
Emily could perhaps tolerate a gentle hug when she's alert and in a good mood but I'm not going to risk another viscious attack. Her remaining 3 teeth can still do quite a bit of damage.
A short, slow hug doesn't upset Woolly Bear or Katy but I have to "feel" whether they are suddenly going to panic. I can't hug Mogi - I have to be happy that she lies on me heavily when I'm asleep but will immediately disappear when I move or try to stroke her. So, as with the ferals, no hugs for her!

Can you hug your cats?
If so, do you think they enjoy a hug?
If you think they'll be happy, please give them a hug from me! 🤗

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Molly absolutely LOVES hugs, she is always begging to be picked up. She initiates 'kisses' too, rubbing her face into yours until she gets one. I've never had a cat that does that. Dutch tolerates maybe a light hug, he loves to be stroked, Yammy allows NO hugs at all, and he moves away if you come up behind him too. He loves a head rub and that is it. He will even bump heads with me at bedtime.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't hug Cricket, she would freak out. She doesn't enjoy being picked up and she not a lap cat. But she's super friendly, likes to hang out with me, loves being petted or brushed.

Cricket hugging a roll of paper towels
1685884671993.png

Austin I can hug on his terms, like if he gets on me I can gently hug him.

1685883891975.png

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The only cat that didn't mind us hugging him was Neeko, a black Persian, who we had from the time he was a kitten. Maybe that's why he tolerated it, i.e. because he was 12 weeks old when we brought him home. All the others did not appreciate being hugged but if we only did it for a brief minute they endured it. We love Carleton so much that we can't hold back sometimes and just have to give him a gentle squish. :lovecat3:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mooch prefers to sit on your chest herself sometimes. That’s sort of her version of a hug. When she was a kitten she loved being on my chest, under my neck but she moved down progressively as she got bigger and then to my lap once I was pregnant with my first. So I guess that’s why it feels like a hug when she wants on my chest again.

My mom’s old guy Pumpkin loves hugs and being held. Hes a total baby. I had one extremely affectionate cat as a teen that loved them too.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Rico and Zoe were both love bugs who loved being hugged and held. I sure miss those two. Ozzy loves to sit on my lap and tolerates hugs but I couldn't say for sure he really enjoys it. :lol:

Our new girl Mowie is very skittish. She loves being petted but mostly keeps herself at arm's length so she can get away fast when she's ready. I have managed a couple of times to hold on to her long enough to give her a kiss on the head but hugs? Definitely not.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kumal, absolutely. He loves to be picked up and when I hug him he will stretch his front legs around my neck and try to lick me. (I say try because I don't allow it)
Onsa will let me hug her if she's laying next to me. She will try to crawl inside me when i do. But don't try to pick her up.
Samai.....there would be blood. But she does like pets and loves her tummy rubbed.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Willow, who has lived with me now for 12 years, doesn’t allow hugs or being picked up. She has been letting me pet her for a few minutes once or twice a day which is a major step forward for her.

Lola, who as lived with me now for two years, is a Velcro cat. She loves hugs and being held and gets a bunch of hugs every day.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Mocha is a former feral and I can’t pick her up. But if she’s standing on the sofa or the bed, I can gently give her a squeeze and then let go. She purrs, but I think if I kept my arms around her too long, she’d get scared. I’ve had Iris since she was a kitten, so she’s used to hugs. She doesn’t particularly care for them, but she tolerates being held and hugged. (Iris rolling her eyes and sighing, “If you must.”)

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always found it hilariously appropriate that my birthday is also Hug Your Cat Day. Flora will let me hug her and I think she tolerates it.Remy will let me hug him but I know he hates it with a passion because he doesn't like being held unless he's the one initiating it. I've never even held Maisie before, so no, she would never let me hug her.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of mine don't want anything to do with hugs at all.Penny will,as will Whiskers,and Cookie as long as it's her Dad,and Butter especially will,but prepare yourself with her as she'll try and get in your pocket if given the chance:)They all have their own ways of showing affection,and yes,the few who allow such got a good hug from you just a little bit ago.