Question of the Day: Sunday, June 26

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for my absence! Today I am staying home, keeping a poor cat warm (bladder stone removed last week) and ignoring all my other obligations outside the house.

My question today concerns flowers and plants you like to receive
and any you choose to present to your friends on their Special Days.

🌻 🌷 🌺 🌸 🌼 🥀 🌹 💐

We are coming to the end of June, which in my extended family, is the most popular month for birthdays. Even when we don’t have to resort to international florists because we have no idea what Auntie Betty, thousands of miles away, would appreciate, we still often choose to buy flowers and plants as presents for birthdays, Mother’s Day, Valentine’s day or just to show we are thinking of someone special.

Needless to say. I hate my birthday being in December. Christmas roses do not make very pretty cut flowers and, as plants, they don’t survive for long outdoors. Poinsettias are not “flowers”, as far as I am concerned. Both are poisonous for cats so are not exactly welcome with open arms before being given away to a more appreciative person – without household pets. I would like to change my birthday month every few years so that I can receive daffodils, tulips, carnations or even a bunch of wildflowers – anything other than poinsettias!

Recently I received a very beautiful plant arrangement. The flowers were all white and a white ornament set off the scene. Unfortunately, I had to stifle a laugh as I know the person who sent it loves white. I have hinted more than once, a little bit of blue, pink, pale violet, anything would give the whole arrangement a bit more interest. It looks like something for a First Holy Communion, Wedding or even a funeral. But she continues to send me what she finds attractive – all white. 💮 💮 💮 💮 💮

I suppose we all do this to a certain extent – no-one wants to give a present they don’t really like themselves – though it is often necessary particularly when there are large age gaps between the giver and receiver.

My questions today. Take your pick!

Do you sometimes give or receive flowers or plants? :bouquet:

Do you like to receive certain colours or particular flowers?

Do you have standard colours when you send flowers?

Would you like to change your birthday month occasionally in order to receive other flowers (or perhaps even to be able to hold a barbecue outdoors)?

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Love American Beauties, actually all roses, Freesia, gosh so many more!!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love daffodils, always have them in vases from February until April when they are no longer in the shops. I dont often get flowers, occasionally for my birthday which is in June but I buy some myself every week, mostly carnations or roses, all colours. They make such a difference to a room.

Hope your kitty is doing ok after the op.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love flowers of all types and all colors. I occasionally buy them for myself at the supermarket though with inflation it has been a while since I have done that. I do prefer white orchids though. I avoid lilies because of the cats but I do like them especially the callas lilies. I don't give them very often and I only very occasionally get them as a gift. I get a large arrangement that they kids go in on together for Mother's Day and that is about it. The kids avoid lilies as well because they know there is always at least one cat around.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't have flowers or plants because my cats try to eat them. I would like to have my own garden someday though, and grow all kinds of hot peppers and green veggies.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually (I say usually, but I've only had two) get a bouquet on Mother's Day. I'm not super particular, and we have a shelf the cats don't/can't get on to put them on.

I think I've gotten flowers for our anniversary, too, which is on the opposite side of the year as Mother's Day.

I don't usually get flowers for my birthday, which is perfectly fine by me.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last time we gave a floral arrangement, it was for the funeral of one of Michele's cousins; otherwise we give hanging baskets. We got one of those from a neighbor recently, and now it resides in a large cast iron urn.
As for favorite types or colors, I'm omnivorous- any flower plant at all will do.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I actually prefer flowers in their natural habitat, not picked and dying on my table.
Same here!! My favorite flowers are stargazer lilies, so I obviously can't have them. Though I don't like wearing pink, I love pink flowers. I do sometimes get a pink mixed arrangement but I'm always scared the cat will eat them!

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m with Misty on this one…probably cos mom drilled into me how much bought flowers contribute to climate change!
But am partial to watching chicory push its way up through asphalt, producing sky blue blooms which turn a lovely shade of light purple.

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you like to receive certain colours or particular flowers? my favorite flower to give or receive is roses and im not partial to any one color i like them all

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I actually prefer flowers in their natural habitat, not picked and dying on my table.
I grew up on a farm and we had different flowers that we didn't pick. Climbing roses, mums, a lilac bush, and peonies which two bouquets were picked for graves on what was then called Decoration Day. We always had a good size patch of zinnias which were for cutting. They bloomed like crazy, I think the more we picked the more they bloomed.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up on a farm and we had different flowers that we didn't pick. Climbing roses, mums, a lilac bush, and peonies which two bouquets were picked for graves on what was then called Decoration Day. We always had a good size patch of zinnias which were for cutting. They bloomed like crazy, I think the more we picked the more they bloomed.
I didn't grow up on a farm, but it was very rural, lots of land. I agree some the more you cut the more they bloom. We had lilacs, tulips, gladiolas, snowball bushes, I'm not sure what the bushes in the front were, but they were red hanging flowers. I don't know what all esle. We didn't pick any of them to bring in he house.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only received a flower once from my dad as a kid. He gave my mom a bouquet and then gave my sister and I a yellow rose each. I don't think I've given anyone flowers either. My favorite flowers though are bell-shaped ones like tulips, bell flowers, and foxglove. I also love hydrangeas. Hydrangeas and tulips are the only flowers I have in my yard (of my favorites).

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I often give plants as gifts.. not flowers as they just die, whereas a potted plant is a gift of life. They are usually something I've propagated from my garden and potted out into something, usually a bit quirky, made by a local potter.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH gives me flowers for our anniversary, my business and mother’s day. Usually he gets roses (I like to dry them.) but honestly I love everything except lilies. Purple is my favorite color when it comes to flowers I love them all. A bright bouquet is always cheerful but I love a solid pastel bunch just as much! I don’t keep plants inside the house so hes never given me one. I wouldn’t like it. But sometimes he’ll get outdoor plants. One year he got me 2 lilac bushes for mother’s day. This year he got me a cat statue to go with yellow rose bushes my mom gifted me last year for Noodles. :rbheart: Its pretty easy to get cut flowers here so the season doesn’t really matter.

I do like gifting flowers but usually I go for a potted arrangement that can last through the summer or whatever season. I noticed my mom is starting to have a collection of all the old decorative planters and pots from them.:lol: I usually try to pick something I think they will like.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love roses! My favourite flower I would love to receive - but it doesn't happen that often, other than from my wonderful mom, so I usually buy a bouquet of roses for myself as a happy treat. I like having flowers around the house, it is cheery and makes for a nice mental pick me up. They really do make a different in a room.

I also really like Peonies, Lilly of the Valley, Lilacs and Hydrangeas and Water Lilies. For colours....pinks, soft purples, white, blue or red.

I often give flowers to the women in my family for their birthday's or mother's day - My mom, aunts, great aunt, close family friends and my late grandmother. Coworkers too if they are going through a hard time (One of my coworkers husband's recently got diagnosed with cancer). Preferences vary so tend to personalize as best I can. It is always well received so I really enjoy doing it when I can!

My birth flower is already Lilley of the Valley, so pretty content there lol

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like sending flowers - my mother's favourite flowers are peonies and camellias, but she appreciates any! I gave her hydrangeas for her birthday last year.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Me too. I prefer watching them in all sorts of colors and sizes in my garden. Such a magnificent sight to behold when they bloom all at the same time, and emit their unique fragrances especially at night. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:bouquet:Thank you for all your answers - I love flowers and plants - it makes me happy just talking about them!

🌻 🥀 💮 🌹 🌷 💐 🌼 🌺 🌸